Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 04:01 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,790,552 times

Advertisements

In states where older people live- those over 50 or so- race is not an issue. Race is THE issue. Same thing in some southern backward states like Kentucky and West Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 09:58 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,997,691 times
Are the Irish in those states excluded?

It's Not Race, It's Arugula

I invite you to free your mind.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,790,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Are the Irish in those states excluded?

It's Not Race, It's Arugula

I invite you to free your mind.
Why are you bringing the Irish into this? I am 1/2 Irish and I kind of resent that. You are insulting my father, brothers and sister by somehow making it sound like all the Irish are racist or something. I get sick of hearing Pat Buchannon saying that crap too. While some of the Irish are racist, we are really the last people that should be because of the fact that the Irish were treated like pig s**t by other whites for a long time.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:27 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,708,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
I find it extremely offensive for the original poster to say that Blacks are only voting for Obama because of his race. I do have an idea what he stands for. I watch CNN and MSNBC at least an hour or two a day. I am following the campaign closely. I listen to every word that he has to say. I waited in line for 4 hours to get tickets to hear him speak when he was here in Pittsburgh. I joined his website as well as donated money to his campaign. I also read every email that he sends out to keep his supporters informed on what is happening with the campaign. On top of all of that Im a single hard working mom that donated hours to making phone calls on his behalf and volunteering in his local campaingn office here. Dont insult our intelligence. There are a lot of us that understand what he stands for.
I beg to differ with you there. The people who spend time on these websites obviously know what the candidates stand for, and they aren't the people I am talking about. But when 97% of ONE PARTY who is black votes for a Black candidate, it screams racial bias. I am sorry. Its not racism so to speak, it might be excitement, but you must know that I am sure MOST of those who vote for him have no clue what he stands for, or why they voted for him over Hillary at a rate of 97% to 2%. If he was a white man, that number would have been closer to 50-50 in the Black community. So don't tell me that just because you happen to be a black American that you represent the majority, because you don't. It is a very racially charged race on both sides on the spectrum, but it is MORE racially charged on the African American side because 35% of white democrats actually voted for a black candidate whereas only 2% of African American democrats voted for a white candidate. That just must be a weird coincidence. It seems that someone who grew up in HAWAII (not Alabama or something) and moved into a posh Chicago suburb would have a lot in common with the average African American person, not.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:37 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,784,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I beg to differ with you there. The people who spend time on these websites obviously know what the candidates stand for, and they aren't the people I am talking about. But when 97% of ONE PARTY who is black votes for a Black candidate, it screams racial bias. I am sorry. Its not racism so to speak, it might be excitement, but you must know that I am sure MOST of those who vote for him have no clue what he stands for, or why they voted for him over Hillary at a rate of 97% to 2%. If he was a white man, that number would have been closer to 50-50 in the Black community. So don't tell me that just because you happen to be a black American that you represent the majority, because you don't. It is a very racially charged race on both sides on the spectrum, but it is MORE racially charged on the African American side because 35% of white democrats actually voted for a black candidate whereas only 2% of African American democrats voted for a white candidate. That just must be a weird coincidence. It seems that someone who grew up in HAWAII (not Alabama or something) and moved into a posh Chicago suburb would have a lot in common with the average African American person, not.
If you look at any political analysis of both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, you will actually see that when it came to issues and policies, there was very little difference. So what where the "reasons" people voted for Hillary? They may not have been racially motivated...but they were probably just as shallow. Take the "experience claim" for example. Sen. Obama actually has more legislative experience than Hillary Clinton does (11 years as opposed to 7). Many American voters (regardless of affiliation) are severely under-informed. I can tell you one thing though; I myself did not vote for Sen. Obama...because I voted back in January. However his nationally televised speech on race (after the initial Rev. Wright incident) truly, impressed me and resounded with me. That was a very powerful thing for many Black voters to see and if they were undecided between Hillary and Barack at that point, the scales probably tilted over to Barack's side after that. That is hardly racism; that is putting an emotional investment into whoever you are voting for.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:49 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,708,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
If you look at any political analysis of both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, you will actually see that when it came to issues and policies, there was very little difference. So what where the "reasons" people voted for Hillary? They may not have been racially motivated...but they were probably just as shallow. Take the "experience claim" for example. Sen. Obama actually has more legislative experience than Hillary Clinton does (11 years as opposed to 7). Many American voters (regardless of affiliation) are severely under-informed. I can tell you one thing though; I myself did not vote for Sen. Obama...because I voted back in January. However his nationally televised speech on race (after the initial Rev. Wright incident) truly, impressed me and resounded with me. That was a very powerful thing for many Black voters to see and if they were undecided between Hillary and Barack at that point, the scales probably tilted over to Barack's side after that. That is hardly racism; that is putting an emotional investment into whoever you are voting for.
Umm, his poll ratings were exactly the same before he made that speech, 97% to 2%. Many blacks decided the minute he entered the race that he was their candidate; he could have been a plummer for all they cared. I am just saying, on both sides, it was a very racially motivated election.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:09 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,698,570 times
Quote:
The polls are showing that only 9%-15% of Americans are "claiming" to base their decision based on race. Personally, I think that number is more like 60% who are factoring in race in their decision.

Whites-Notably in the Midwest and more conservative areas, white people are uneasy by Obama's anti-small town (aka small town white voters) comments in Pennsylvania. They are also scared by Obama's reverend, Wright, and his clear "black supremacy" feelings. Others are just weary of the man because of the color of his skin, possibly because they have a personal bias within their communities. It must also be noted that 85% of whites voted for a white candidate in the primaries (between John McCain, Hillary Clinton, and Barack). Clearly there is a "racial factor" affiliated with the white vote in general.

African Americans-Many African Americans are just getting behind Obama for his race. Many do not know what the hell he stands for, but know they like him. 93% of African Americans voted for him in either party, 97% in the Democratic Party. I undoubtedly think race is the only reason many African Americans are voting for the man.

Overall, the polls that keep saying Americans aren't basing this race on race are totally wrong. People won't admit it, but the statistics dont lie. Now, for Barack, it is understandable for a white candidate to be skeptical to vote for him. He has had all these "anti white" hidden skeletons that keep coming out of his closet, which would make anyone hesitant.

What are your thoughts.
My thoughts are that it doesn't matter who the American people pick, they don't decide elections, the Electoral College does. And if THEY'RE not ready for a black president, we won't have one.

I fully expect McCain to win the election. Not that I agree with his views, but MY vote doesn't count anyhow.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:19 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,198,320 times
Quote:
Umm, his poll ratings were exactly the same before he made that speech, 97% to 2%. Many blacks decided the minute he entered the race that he was their candidate; he could have been a plummer for all they cared. I am just saying, on both sides, it was a very racially motivated election.
Maybe when the next black person runs for president, or the one after that, more black and more white people will be able to evaluate that candidate more dispassionately.

Meanwhile, everyone has the means to learn the facts and the choice to vote responsibly. But there's nothing you can do about what motivates other people's personal decisions.

Last edited by delusianne; 06-16-2008 at 04:30 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 06-16-2008, 07:11 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,951,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Maybe when the next black person runs for president, or the one after that, more black and more white people will be able to evaluate that candidate more dispassionately.

Meanwhile, everyone has the means to learn the facts and the choice to vote responsibly. But there's nothing you can do about what motivates other people's personal decisions.

Exactly. As the first black man running for pres., Obama is breaking ground that will make it much easier for future black, hispanic, oriental, etc. candidates. I applaud him for that. Whether you plan to vote for him or not, he is opening doors for our future that were previously locked tight.

I will always vote Democrat, so it doesn't affect my vote, but I'll be honest, I am personally thrilled that a black candidate has made it this far. Sure, there are certain demographics who are not mentally prepared for a black pres., but many are..... I am white, and my family is deeply rooted in Western Pennsylvania....go figure

His race is a factor, for most I think. I just hope it isn't THE determining factor in this election.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:57 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,997,691 times
Quote:
Why are you bringing the Irish into this? I am 1/2 Irish and I kind of resent that. You are insulting my father, brothers and sister by somehow making it sound like all the Irish are racist or something. I get sick of hearing Pat Buchannon saying that crap too. While some of the Irish are racist, we are really the last people that should be because of the fact that the Irish were treated like pig s**t by other whites for a long time.
You are the one that constantly makes the point that people in the states of KY & WV are backwoods, racist, white trailer trash that won't vote for Obama because he is black.

Only when someone mentioned a lot of Irish lived in these areas did you take offense.

You have been insulting someones father, brothers and sister with your sweeping generalizations of two states.

Maybe YOU should stop looking at people as racist, white trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections