Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 07:49 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I've asked this same thing but instead of answering they told me I was funny (which I assume meant stupid) and wrote double talk fifty times in capital letters and bold print. I wasn't trying to give him a pass for flip-flopping/lying/misspeaking whatever he wants to call it, I was trying to point out that is something that politicians do and even though he said he wasn't a "typical Washington politician" at the end of the day his goal is to get elected, so he's doing and saying what people want to see in order to get there.

What makes his actions worse than every other politician who plays this way? I guess the answer is because he's Obama.
No, I think the answer is because he and his camp set the bar so high when they said he would "transcend" politics, that he would be above race etc. Yes we all know politicians lie, but this guy's camp really set off the BS meter.

Also, other politicians lie about WHAT they plan to do. He based everything on his character, morals, and beliefs. He was shown to be on a higher plane than others, almost messianic in nature according to his camp and followers.

When reality hits, and you see he IS just the typical Washington politician who would sell his soul in a Faustian moment to become President, his veneer cracks. You see the real him. The Wizard is just a little guy hiding behind the curtain.

Its a long way down from Obama's self appointed pedestal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 09:35 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
When reality hits, and you see he IS just the typical Washington politician who would sell his soul in a Faustian moment to become President, his veneer cracks. You see the real him. The Wizard is just a little guy hiding behind the curtain.

Yeah, I saw that he was a typical Washington politician from the start - the only people who bought into that illusion are the ones who have no knowledge of how political system works and luckily for him that's a good chunk of his voters.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:10 PM

956 posts, read 1,234,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter4ever View Post
................... The good thing is I think the majority think like us.
Actally the good thing is that I think the majority don't. And some that do now won't very soon for the very reasons fopt65 points out.

Perhaps because Obama is relatively new to the political field he didn't realize that (1) If you set the bar too high, there's no place to go but down, and (2) You simply cannot be in the political arena and not play politics as usual.

The holier than thou approach, with so many pictures taken of his face from below with only the sky behind him, just isn't going to work over the course of time. I can only hope that those Americans still hypnotized by him will see the light before November.

Otherwise we're all in deep do-do.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:23 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
No, I think the answer is because he and his camp set the bar so high when they said he would "transcend" politics, that he would be above race etc. Yes we all know politicians lie, but this guy's camp really set off the BS meter.

Also, other politicians lie about WHAT they plan to do. He based everything on his character, morals, and beliefs. He was shown to be on a higher plane than others, almost messianic in nature according to his camp and followers.

Great post!

I'd just like to add to the truths you've pointed out that while candidate Obama has proven to be the supreme politician on the campaign trail, he lacks the experience and savvy to be a great political leader once the campaign is over. In other words, he hasn't been in Washington long enough to know how to get things done. So, that's the worst of both worlds -- he's good at doing whatever it takes to get elected but not ready to be a primetime politician and actually make a difference in the highest office.

As I've said here previously, I have NO PROBLEM voting for a skillful politician -- in fact, that's what I want to do because a skilled politician knows how to work both sides of the aisle, use his/her clout, maneuver his/her agenda through the process, and get things done. I supported Hillary because she is a skilled politician who knows how to maneuver around the system.

I had to laugh when earmarks were compared among the candidates during the primary. Everyone was making hay over the number of earmarks Hillary landed for NY. Um, hello, that is EXACTLY what she was elected to do -- represent NY's interests in Washington. Congress gripes about earmarks but everyone knows that's how the voters back home gage their representatives' effectiveness.

What I've seen of Obama's legislative record is not impressive. It contains lots of "present" votes and their equivalent that were designed to doom bills he didn't find "perfect." The credit card interest bill is a good example -- he voted against setting a limit of 30 percent on credit card interest rates. When pressed to explain, he said he thought 30 percent was too high. Uh, yes, but that's a maximum limit and by working to defeat this bill, his efforts ensured there was no limit at all.

Obama is all politician when it comes to getting elected but not a savvy, effective politician when it comes to actually doing the job. BAD combo, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections