Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:19 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,222,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesroses View Post
Who is the REAL Obama?
Same person he was before the Republican Party campaign management decided that was a spiffy (if meaningless) little sound byte.

Seriously, guys, the election's over. I promise Karl Rove won't come back and haunt you if you dust off those brain cells and think for yourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 12:33 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,591,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_collegiate View Post
Obviously, Obama wouldn't be where he is today--the Democratic Presidential nominee--if it wasn't for tremendous white support. And although he'll likely be the next President, what I want to know is how do whites really feel about him?

From my experience, whites, while not racist, are certainly race conscious--and in the case of blacks, easily stereotype them as poor, uneducated, inarticulate, crime prone, etc, until the black person proves themselves to be otherwise.

When faced with educated, affluent, and "articulate" blacks, I think most whites are dumbfounded, shocked, and in awe--as it's easy to buy into stereotypes and classify minorities rather than realize them as individuals.

So my question is, how do whites really feel about Obama?
I am from the northeast - and I totally disagree with your characterization of how whites regard blacks...

Whites here - for the most part - regard blacks just as they do anyone else - as a neighbor, co-worker, fellow American...

You should realize there are SOME racists in every race - blacks, whites, hispanics, orientals - we could all be viewed as racist due to something we've said or done, if someone is on a mission to feel that way...

I think that race relations are MUCH MUCH better than when I was a kid - in the late 60s. I remember the race riots in Detroit and other American cities.. We have come light-years since then...

And yes, there is still some inequality based on race - especially in the inner cities, but it is still much better than 40 years ago!!! Way better!!!

I think if some of the civil rights leaders (like Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton) would stop their consistent race-bating (for their own personal profit) and instead try to bring the races together, and do something to help their race (which they never seem to do - they would be out of a job if they did), I think this country would be much much better off.

That is part of the reason why I think so many white like and respect Obama - he is not a Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton - he wants to end the polarization between the races. He wants us to view ourselves as Americans - not hyphenated Americans...

Old 11-06-2008, 12:37 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,356,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_collegiate View Post
Obviously, Obama wouldn't be where he is today--the Democratic Presidential nominee--if it wasn't for tremendous white support. And although he'll likely be the next President, what I want to know is how do whites really feel about him?

From my experience, whites, while not racist, are certainly race conscious--and in the case of blacks, easily stereotype them as poor, uneducated, inarticulate, crime prone, etc, until the black person proves themselves to be otherwise.

When faced with educated, affluent, and "articulate" blacks, I think most whites are dumbfounded, shocked, and in awe--as it's easy to buy into stereotypes and classify minorities rather than realize them as individuals.

So my question is, how do whites really feel about Obama?

Doesn't your "question" answer itself.
Like you noted he would NOT have gotten where he was without the white vote.
In fact intially he had little of the non white support when he ran against Hillary.

Thus your weird so called "question" answers "itself".

Old 11-06-2008, 12:38 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,356,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
I am from the northeast - and I totally disagree with your characterization of how whites regard blacks...

Whites here - for the most part - regard blacks just as they do anyone else - as a neighbor, co-worker, fellow American...

You should realize there are SOME racists in every race - blacks, whites, hispanics, orientals - we could all be viewed as racist due to something we've said or done, if someone is on a mission to feel that way...

I think that race relations are MUCH MUCH better than when I was a kid - in the late 60s. I remember the race riots in Detroit and other American cities.. We have come light-years since then...

And yes, there is still some inequality based on race - especially in the inner cities, but it is still much better than 40 years ago!!! Way better!!!

I think if some of the civil rights leaders (like Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton) would stop their consistent race-bating (for their own personal profit) and instead try to bring the races together, and do something to help their race (which they never seem to do - they would be out of a job if they did), I think this country would be much much better off.

That is part of the reason why I think so many white like and respect Obama - he is not a Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton - he wants to end the polarization between the races. He wants us to view ourselves as Americans - not hyphenated Americans...

His "question" contradicted itself from first sentence doubt he was actually interersted in anything just posted for sake of it

Old 11-06-2008, 12:40 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,777,090 times
I think white folks are going to be calling him "Mr. President."

Old 11-06-2008, 12:41 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,900,387 times
I couldn't care less about what color anybody is, but I still disagree wholeheartedly with Obama's policies.. judging by what little I know of the guy. He has a very small past in politics. His main job, it seems, as senator, was to run for president. When he's been around to actually do something legislative-wise, he has been over-the-top liberal.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:49 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,815,520 times
Why is it no one seems to mention that "black" Barack Obama is actually half white? He was born to a white mother, raised by white grandparents. How come people who are bi-racial are always refered to as "black?"

Old 11-06-2008, 12:56 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,777,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Why is it no one seems to mention that "black" Barack Obama is actually half white? He was born to a white mother, raised by white grandparents. How come people who are bi-racial are always refered to as "black?"
That's called the "one-drop rule," and it has always been custom and de facto law in America. White folks came up with that, by the way.

As you know, the vast majority of blacks in America are biracial or triracial.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:02 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,912,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I can only assume that it is because he looks/sounds the best.
Way to go compJockey make a man the most powerful leader of the free world because he's handsome and has a great speaking voice.

Whenever I ask Obama voters what made you vote for him they have no answers beyond adjectives.
No offense, but you can look up my previous posts if you need more information.

I don't feel the need on this thread to go into specifics.
After all, I've been repeating myself for months (on this forum and another), and I feel there's little point in repeating my own talking points (which are commonly met with silence rather than debate).

You say Obama is handsome?
I think he looks like a president, but I wouldn't say he's handsome.
I do agree he has a great speaking voice though.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:06 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,384,363 times
Barack is just as much White as Black. Most people dont realize this, which is sad. Color does not effect job performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections