Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 04:47 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Since you frequently insist on knowing the background of people to determine their credibility, why don't you share some of your own so we can gauge yours.
When have I "frequently insisted"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 05:02 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,113 times
Quote:
sanrene :
How so? Do you know this poster? She/he could just as well be making up this "story". Give us the name of your "friend" so we can check out if he was actually in the service with McCain.

Can't believe how gullible some people are.
It is true. People in real life know me and him, and it's no secret. Besides that, it sounds like you may have some difficulty with your own "passion." (Just a hunch from the way you word things.) And there ARE City-Data people who know me in real life.... It would be interesting to know more about you, too! Your profile only has one public message, although it was interesting....

I didn't post a big story -- just that they were on the same ship -- it's not like I gave a huge biography, but here you are over-reacting to this.

The reality is it doesn't matter whether or not you believe me. I just thought it was interesting because I got to hear some "war stories," and found it alarming that this "passion" problem has been life-long. And, working in a law enforcement agency, I am very well aware of the scrutiny applicants must undergo in order to be hired. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that the President of the United States does not have to go through that scrutiny, nor have a psychological. Of all jobs that require methodical, stable, logical thinking, it's that one, and it is full of stressors. What will happen to a person who naturally has a short fuse once they have daily stressors like in a presidential position?

I would like to see all candidates have background checks and psychological evaluations in reference to the position of President. Seriously. If we make our police officers, sheriffs, probation officers, etc., go through such background checks and exams, certainly the position of leading the entire nation should require that. Quite frankly, I don't like the idea of a guy with a hair trigger sitting next to the "nuclear red button!"

Maybe it just goes to show the lack of ethics in politics -- maybe no candidate could pass such a test....could be.

So, say what you want, although your comments to myself and others sound just plain nasty. It is difficult to hear your point of view when it is so crude.

And as for finding out who was on ship with McCain, there are plenty of ways to do that -- I assume you are not in a position to be able to find out.

At any rate, I merely posted because it was interesting to me, and I thought that maybe there were a few other people who were around then, too, and also knew him in that capacity. But then again, I do live near a base, and my friend is retired military, so I just happened to find out a personal background. If they ever do a background check on McCain, I am sure he would be willing to participate, as he is a noble man with integrity.

I only added a story that backs up the numerous other remarks about McCain's bad temper -- translation: anger management problem (if you want to be politically-correct). It is not a diagnosis in the DSM-IV, however, eventually it may be. As a social worker, I can tell you that anger problems create many other problems (including death) for others -- it is a combustible problem -- but I have a feeling you already know that....

Wisteria

Old 06-22-2008, 05:05 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I am a middle-of-the-roader, and, basically, apolitical. However, I do have a close friend who retired from the Navy and served with John McCain on the USS Forrestal. My friend, who is now retired from federal service, as well as the Navy, said that John McCain's temper IS a hazard. He was well-known to have a horrible, short temper!

Not only that, apparently, he was not a very good pilot, and he got shot down once....and I guess it was a joke in the Navy that it was a sign that he shouldn't have gone up twice -- the second time he was captured.

I've read a bunch of threads here, and I see that McCain's temper is well-noted, but knowing someone personally who lived in close quarters with him, and knows how volatile he is, scares me if he becomes our future president!

From what I have learned, the media and the politicians are not revealing all they know about McCain. Things from people who have personally worked, lived with, were married to, or served with him, have spoken up, but otherwise, it seems much is buried.

I was just curious if anyone else knows him personally, and what they have witnessed privately with him? I understand wanting to support the party, but shouldn't the party have a vested interest in having a candidate who is not so highly volatile and hot-tempered -- especially, in the interests of a global economy, an on-going war, and other global issues?

Even if I didn't know about his personal life from my friend, I wouldn't vote for a 70-year-old man who publicly said he doesn't know anything about the economy (and why should he? He's already got loads of money, with his wife, and doesn't have to think about it).

From what I understand, his military experience was mostly confined to being a POW -- I knew people in the Vietnam War, and I admire those who had to fight for us. However, his experience as a POW, doesn't give him military leadership qualities -- just a history as a POW, mostly.

Anyway, just curious. Like I said, I'm apolitical, however, my friend recently brought this up because he served with him, and I guess McCain was not very favorably looked upon -- he was basically known as his father's son, not a good soldier in his own right -- and that temper must have been pretty bad if guys on a Naval ship thought so, too! That's what worries me -- it was all guys, and even they thought he was foul and mean-tempered. What does that say for leading an entire country??

Thanks.
Your friend should call the network news offices in New York and offer the story. If it can be verified I am sure they will use it.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:06 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I am a middle-of-the-roader, and, basically, apolitical. However, I do have a close friend who retired from the Navy and served with John McCain on the USS Forrestal. My friend, who is now retired from federal service, as well as the Navy, said that John McCain's temper IS a hazard. He was well-known to have a horrible, short temper!

Not only that, apparently, he was not a very good pilot, and he got shot down once....and I guess it was a joke in the Navy that it was a sign that he shouldn't have gone up twice -- the second time he was captured.

I've read a bunch of threads here, and I see that McCain's temper is well-noted, but knowing someone personally who lived in close quarters with him, and knows how volatile he is, scares me if he becomes our future president!

From what I have learned, the media and the politicians are not revealing all they know about McCain. Things from people who have personally worked, lived with, were married to, or served with him, have spoken up, but otherwise, it seems much is buried.

I was just curious if anyone else knows him personally, and what they have witnessed privately with him? I understand wanting to support the party, but shouldn't the party have a vested interest in having a candidate who is not so highly volatile and hot-tempered -- especially, in the interests of a global economy, an on-going war, and other global issues?

Even if I didn't know about his personal life from my friend, I wouldn't vote for a 70-year-old man who publicly said he doesn't know anything about the economy (and why should he? He's already got loads of money, with his wife, and doesn't have to think about it).

From what I understand, his military experience was mostly confined to being a POW -- I knew people in the Vietnam War, and I admire those who had to fight for us. However, his experience as a POW, doesn't give him military leadership qualities -- just a history as a POW, mostly.

Anyway, just curious. Like I said, I'm apolitical, however, my friend recently brought this up because he served with him, and I guess McCain was not very favorably looked upon -- he was basically known as his father's son, not a good soldier in his own right -- and that temper must have been pretty bad if guys on a Naval ship thought so, too! That's what worries me -- it was all guys, and even they thought he was foul and mean-tempered. What does that say for leading an entire country??

Thanks.
I think your friend is repeating what I have heard several of McCain's senate colleagues say. That he is abusive and dismissive of people who oppose him. I also don't think he is tempermentally fit to be president and unlike you, I'm not a moderate, I'm a conservative.

One thing about McCain though. At least he is being honest when he says he doesn't know much about the economy. We have two presidential candidates who don't know much about the economy and only one is honest about it. Obama doesn't know much either but tries to come off as some wiz kid, like he does on almost every other subject. What a lousy choice we have this year.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:06 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
I served with McCain as well. In fact, so did my brother and our cousin Steve.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:07 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
A good article:
Military leaders on John McCain's temperament | Salon News

News reports and cspan live footage on the temper... It's pretty well known that he has this issue.

http://www.youtube.com/v/fSlAJ5hkAC4&hl=en
http://www.youtube.com/v/HwTKM_u-7j4&hl=en
http://www.youtube.com/v/DCAqm286eAM&hl=en
http://www.youtube.com/v/Kj7HbqwZwRM&hl=en
http://www.youtube.com/v/Kj7HbqwZwRM&hl=en

Quote:
Defending His Amnesty Bill, Sen. McCain Lost His Temper And “Screamed, ‘F*ck You!’ At Texas Sen. John Cornyn” (R-TX). “Presidential hopeful John McCain - who has been dogged for years by questions about his volcanic temper - erupted in an angry, profanity-laced tirade at a fellow Republican senator, sources told The Post yesterday. In a heated dispute over immigration-law overhaul, McCain screamed, ‘F— you!’ at Texas Sen. John Cornyn, who had been raising concerns about the legislation. ‘This is chickens—stuff,’ McCain snapped at Cornyn, according to several people in the room off the Senate floor Thursday. ‘You’ve always been against this bill, and you’re just trying to derail it.’”

Old 06-22-2008, 05:19 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
Quote:
01Snake

I served with McCain as well. In fact, so did my brother and our cousin Steve.
Were you on the same ship as my friend? If so, PM me and I can have him contact you -- I bet he'd be happy to see some old friends from then -- unless you happen to be around the old Fort Ord area, too -- then we could all get together!! That would be cool!!

Old 06-22-2008, 05:29 PM

By the way, does anyone happen to know why presidential candidates don't have to go through a strict background check and a psychological exam???

I'm not very political, but I have to admit that having someone with anger issues does scare me. I mean, he'd have to deal with other leaders of countries and all sorts of interpersonal relationships -- it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I don't want to do another thread, but I'm just curious if anyone knows why in such an important position dealing with people from all over the world and the country, why a psychological test isn't administered, and why there isn't a huge background check?? Somehow it just doesn't make sense. Instead we just have these obstinate news stories of "he said, she said," and finger-pointing instead of facts. I'm really curious why there is no psychological exam -- being a world leader is very different than sitting in the Senate.

Thanks.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:30 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
I only added a story that backs up the numerous other remarks about McCain's bad temper
It does nothing of the sort, since we have no way of corroborating your "story".

I could log on under an alter and dump similar garbage. There's just no way to really know, is there?

btw, I am never angry when posting. I find this type of stuff....amusing and great fun.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:38 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
It does nothing of the sort, since we have no way of corroborating your "story".

I could log on under an alter and dump similar garbage. There's just no way to really know, is there?

btw, I am never angry when posting. I find this type of stuff....amusing and great fun.
Look a couple of posts above yours - someone may be getting corroboration. Ruh-roh!

And - no one brought it up before because it seemed self-evident, but did you really expect the OP to hand out personal information on an internet forum, as you were demanding s/he do, especially about someone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections