U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2008, 09:39 AM
 
12,794 posts, read 6,871,108 times
Reputation: 4325

Advertisements

Pretty sad....

Hospital video shows no one helped dying woman

I searched around a bit but wasnt able to find anything to be 100% certain, but this is a state run facility, no? If anyone can confirm or clarify that would be appreciated. Either way this is really disturbing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2008, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Tha' Holler
329 posts, read 535,038 times
Reputation: 34
I know this isn't the whole issue, and I have good health insurance so I don't suffer like some, but anytime I think of gov involvement in healthcare the VA always comes to mind. My grandad had a hell of a time with them before he died. I'm leary that any involvement they may have will lead to more problems for the vast majority.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 10:12 AM
 
12,794 posts, read 6,871,108 times
Reputation: 4325
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyorr9 View Post
I know this isn't the whole issue, and I have good health insurance so I don't suffer like some, but anytime I think of gov involvement in healthcare the VA always comes to mind. My grandad had a hell of a time with them before he died. I'm leary that any involvement they may have will lead to more problems for the vast majority.
yeah, that is true, the VAs are probably the best case scenario for why govt. run health care is a bad idea. Sorry to hear about your grandfather.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 10:18 AM
 
34,990 posts, read 36,164,537 times
Reputation: 6171
That's horrible, but not everyone can afford private mental hospitals. And even privately run MHs and nursing homes...you know the ugly stories. It's the type of caregiving facility that's questioned by your video, not funding so much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Tha' Holler
329 posts, read 535,038 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
yeah, that is true, the VAs are probably the best case scenario for why govt. run health care is a bad idea. Sorry to hear about your grandfather.
Naw, don't be. He lived a long, good life and was actually giggling about taking a switch to me just before he passed. I made a crack about him being old and he said he was still young enough to take me. LOL. At any rate, the VA we dealt with just seemed...shady. In their nursing home wing, we had to stay with him at night because there was some question as to whether he was being fed or not. I never witnessed anything personally, but my grandmother was distraught with the actions of the nurses, but I can't really speak to that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia 'Burbs
938 posts, read 2,684,592 times
Reputation: 589
Really, the differences in the quality of service are overstated by both the pro and con sides. Either system works well in the sense that people within the system are taken care of satisfactorily. The capitalist system works better in and of itself, but that's just because a significant portion of the population doesn't receive any healthcare at all and, thus, more effort can be spent on the more fortunate. This is why Canadians live longer than the average American, but the average rich American lives longer than anyone. Stratification of care, I suppose you could say.

IMO, preventative care should be something that everyone should be privy to. That's really what's the most wrong with the current system. It's treating things, not preventing them.

I'm fine with either system. As a pharmacist, professionally, I would prefer a socialized insurance method by which insurance is subsidized, but still run by the current third parties. Current practitioners remain independent businesses. That way nothing changes but who has access. I'd probably wind up with about the same money as taxes would increase, but the demand for pharmacists would skyrocket, too.

That's just me though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 10:42 AM
 
12,794 posts, read 6,871,108 times
Reputation: 4325
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
Really, the differences in the quality of service are overstated by both the pro and con sides. Either system works well in the sense that people within the system are taken care of satisfactorily. The capitalist system works better in and of itself, but that's just because a significant portion of the population doesn't receive any healthcare at all and, thus, more effort can be spent on the more fortunate. This is why Canadians live longer than the average American, but the average rich American lives longer than anyone. Stratification of care, I suppose you could say.

IMO, preventative care should be something that everyone should be privy to. That's really what's the most wrong with the current system. It's treating things, not preventing them.

I'm fine with either system. As a pharmacist, professionally, I would prefer a socialized insurance method by which insurance is subsidized, but still run by the current third parties. Current practitioners remain independent businesses. That way nothing changes but who has access. I'd probably wind up with about the same money as taxes would increase, but the demand for pharmacists would skyrocket, too.

That's just me though.
I understand your points, however I would disagree with what the "biggest" problem is. Now mind you I do not work in the industry as you do so I your credentials obviously give your opinion a little more weight, however I really think the biggest problem is the removal of the consumer driven decision process and price sensitivity that current health insurance plans cause. There is no incentive to shop around, and the prices sky-rocket as a result.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 10:47 AM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,694,079 times
Reputation: 2884
The comparison with the VA is a scary one. My aunt was treated for cancer by the VA -- oh, about twenty years ago or so. She died because they left radioactive nodules in her cervix, apparently they were to have been taken out after a day or so. She died a hideous death, but her husband was unable to sue for malpractice because citizens cannot sue the government, and the VA and its drs are a branch of the federal government.
Now, whether this still holds true, I don't know....but it is worth looking into if we do go forward with socialized or nationalized healthcare.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 11:49 AM
 
2,260 posts, read 3,481,885 times
Reputation: 381
You only need one argument against govt. run healthcare

The overwhelming success of Social Security.............
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Tha' Holler
329 posts, read 535,038 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
You only need one argument against govt. run healthcare

The overwhelming success of Social Security.............
The sad thing is that people will actually challenge you on this...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top