U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-14-2008, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,839 posts, read 24,468,761 times
Reputation: 6485

Advertisements

He didn't get into the cost impact, sources of funds or cost, but Obama offered another target voter group some goodies:

(AP) Barack Obama on Sunday proposed up to a 50-percent tax credit for small businesses providing health insurance to their employees, a program he hopes has special appeal to Hispanics and other minority groups struggling for a toehold in the U.S. economy.

"Make no mistake about it: The Latino community holds this election in your hands," Obama said to cheers. "I am here today to make you this promise: I will be a president who stands with you and fights for you and walks with you every single step of the way."



Obama Suggests Tax Credit For Business Health Care, Obama Suggests Small Business Health Care Credit As He Courts Hispanic Voters At Convention - CBS News (broken link)
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2008, 09:44 AM
 
Location: San Antonio North
4,147 posts, read 7,402,543 times
Reputation: 1010
God I hope McCain asks him where all this money is going to come from in a debate! If this is not evident he is just pandering some people really love to be ignorant!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2008, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Chicago
4,676 posts, read 9,172,957 times
Reputation: 3140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
God I hope McCain asks him where all this money is going to come from in a debate! If this is not evident he is just pandering some people really love to be ignorant!
McCain could do that, but his budget consists of unicorns and pixie dust. So he's not exactly in a position to get into a numbers debate.

But since you are not ignorant, you knew that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2008, 09:59 AM
 
12,764 posts, read 6,674,836 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
McCain could do that, but his budget consists of unicorns and pixie dust. So he's not exactly in a position to get into a numbers debate.

But since you are not ignorant, you knew that.
Why do we still fight about the fact that neither of these men have a good grasp of economics? Its a given at this point.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2008, 10:00 AM
 
Location: San Antonio North
4,147 posts, read 7,402,543 times
Reputation: 1010
Oh I did but this is the latest in a number of outrageous attempts to get votes. Have you done your research on how much more Obama is going to cost with all his new plans?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2008, 10:04 AM
 
34,990 posts, read 35,743,767 times
Reputation: 6169
Is it better to have employees with no or unaffordable healthcare burdening the emergency rooms and the state welfare rolls?

Your link points out "The idea had been championed by Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York."

Also, it's "up to" 50%, not "guaranteed 50%."

And he's been talking about small business tax credits since back in the debate days. Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In | Economy
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2008, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Chicago
4,676 posts, read 9,172,957 times
Reputation: 3140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Oh I did but this is the latest in a number of outrageous attempts to get votes. Have you done your research on how much more Obama is going to cost with all his new plans?
Yes. Here's a chart.

Obama’s to-do list
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2008, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,839 posts, read 24,468,761 times
Reputation: 6485
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Is it better to have employees with no or unaffordable healthcare burdening the emergency rooms and the state welfare rolls?

Your link points out "The idea had been championed by Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York."

Also, it's "up to" 50%, not "guaranteed 50%."
I wasn't providing this with a critical analysis, just getting the story out there for discussion. It isn't one of the points he had prior to this weekend, he has added this new feature.

From a critical perspective I personally have two problems with this proposal, first off what is the cost (it wasn't part of what he initially proposed, so the financial impact isn't clear), and assuming he is staying cost neutral how will this be funded?

Second, I have a real problem with the "up to 50%, it shows continuing tendencies towards income, and now profit, redistribution. Folks with a free market orientation (like me) get concerned when we repeatedly see this type of proposal.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2008, 10:24 AM
 
34,990 posts, read 35,743,767 times
Reputation: 6169
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I wasn't providing this with a critical analysis, just getting the story out there for discussion. It isn't one of the points he had prior to this weekend, he has added this new feature.

From a critical perspective I personally have two problems with this proposal, first off what is the cost (it wasn't part of what he initially proposed, so the financial impact isn't clear), and assuming he is staying cost neutral how will this be funded?

Second, I have a real problem with the "up to 50%, it shows continuing tendencies towards income, and now profit, redistribution. Folks with a free market orientation (like me) get concerned when we repeatedly see this type of proposal.
He wants to encourage small business, and he's repeatedly said he will use a PAYGO system to fund anything that is approved. And as one of those NYer articles quotes a colleague, he's actually quite fiscally conservative and suspicious, proven in Illinois.

I see what you mean that it appears he's flinging our money around left and right irresponsibly to gain votes like some kinda Huey Long, and we can get that impression when we only see these quick news flashes and dont look further - and I'd appreciate if he's lay out a draft budget for us before the election, too. Ideally in a town hall meeting where he can speak at length about it and be questioned at length about it. I hope this will happen; of the two candidates he appears to be the one more likely to freely give us information like this and to genuinely listen to and act upon our input (you must know that he knows we dont want higher taxes!). We shall see.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2008, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,839 posts, read 24,468,761 times
Reputation: 6485
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
He wants to encourage small business, and he's repeatedly said he will use a PAYGO system to fund anything that is approved. And as one of those NYer articles quotes a colleague, he's actually quite fiscally conservative and suspicious, proven in Illinois.

I see what you mean that it appears he's flinging our money around left and right irresponsibly to gain votes like some kinda Huey Long, and we can get that impression when we only see these quick news flashes and dont look further - and I'd appreciate if he's lay out a draft budget for us before the election, too. Ideally in a town hall meeting where he can speak at length about it and be questioned at length about it. I hope this will happen; of the two candidates he appears to be the one more likely to give us information like this, freely. We shall see.

Understood, the PAYGO issue is why I asked the question about the funding for this new proposed initiative. It can be pretty expensive, depending upon how it is structured (minority business only or all small business, and what is the criteria to meet max contribution?).
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top