Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 06:10 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times

Advertisements

President Bush is still seething over the Supreme Court telling him that he may not overturn the death penalties of illegal aliens who commit murders in the USA. The case was decided in which a Mexican national raped and killed 2 young teens in Houston. He was convicted and sentenced to die (as he should have been IMO). The killer exhausted his appeals in USA courts so he turned to the World Court and argued that he should not be executed because he was not allowed to call the Mexican Embassy when he was arrested. The World Court agreed with him and ordered the USA not to execute this killer or 51 others in a similar situation.
Enter Bush. Bush then attempted to enforce this order against Texas by issuing an executive order that ordered Texas to give the killer a new trial or to vacate the death sentence. Texas went to court and the Supreme Court ruled in Texas favour. The killer is scheduled to die next month but apparently Bush and the killer's attorney are in cahoots to try to delay the execution until after the November election so that Bush can issue a pardon or commutation so he can please the World Court and Mexico.
Strike another for the "crime fighting" Republicans!

Court backs Texas in dispute with Bush - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 06:56 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,342 times
I am not a death penalty advocate by any means. But I do think that certain extreme cases of violent sadistic crime should result in the death penalty. And I am definitely certain that there is no way any "World Court" can come in and tell the United States of America what they can and cannot do. The minute we start to allow world powers to interfere with our government processes we might as well sign over our sovereignty! The World Court is a step toward that New World Order President Bush Sr. spoke of so many years ago. And to think that we now have this outside entity attempting to interfere with the way we run our country is a bit frightening. We must maintain our sovereignty, as one nation apart from the rest of the world. Unity is a good catch word, but the end product of a global union would be oppression far and wide. We are strong and we are free because we would not be ruled by a foreign government. And that stands true today as well.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:23 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
President Bush is still seething over the Supreme Court telling him that he may not overturn the death penalties of illegal aliens who commit murders in the USA. The case was decided in which a Mexican national raped and killed 2 young teens in Houston. He was convicted and sentenced to die (as he should have been IMO). The killer exhausted his appeals in USA courts so he turned to the World Court and argued that he should not be executed because he was not allowed to call the Mexican Embassy when he was arrested. The World Court agreed with him and ordered the USA not to execute this killer or 51 others in a similar situation.
Enter Bush. Bush then attempted to enforce this order against Texas by issuing an executive order that ordered Texas to give the killer a new trial or to vacate the death sentence. Texas went to court and the Supreme Court ruled in Texas favour. The killer is scheduled to die next month but apparently Bush and the killer's attorney are in cahoots to try to delay the execution until after the November election so that Bush can issue a pardon or commutation so he can please the World Court and Mexico.
Strike another for the "crime fighting" Republicans!

Court backs Texas in dispute with Bush - USATODAY.com
I love that Mexico promotes its citizens moving to the US (many of them illegally), but then when said citizens commit horrendous crimes, and kill Americans, and are convicted of the death penalty, Mexico sues the US in the world court to halt said criminals' US court-mandated punishments from being carried out.

On the other hand, I don't think it's right for a suspected criminal from another country to be denied the opportunity to speak with their consulate. If I were arrested in another country, I sure as heck would want to be able to speak with the American consulate before I was tried and/or convicted.

As for Bush trying to use his influence to interfere...oy vey...January really, truly, honestly can't come soon enough.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:27 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,444 times
Default A better question:

What does KevK think? So Bush pardons them, not your call, is it?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
What does KevK think? So Bush pardons them, not your call, is it?
I think he should do so BEFORE the election! But we can still make a commercial out of it.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:17 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
I think Bush needs to stay out of Texas business. These men, based on the laws in Texas earned the death penalty.
They shouldn't get a pass because they broke the law by entering the country illegally. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

It really pi$$es me off when foreign countries try to get involved in things like this as well. They need to keep their criminals at home if they don't want them to be subject to another countries laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections