Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:14 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,029,102 times

Advertisements

The rap on Barack Obama, at least in the realm of foreign policy, has been that he is a softheaded idealist who thinks that he can charm America's enemies. John McCain and his campaign, conservative columnists and right-wing bloggers all paint a picture of a liberal dreamer who wishes away the world's dangers. Even President Bush stepped into the fray earlier this year to condemn the Illinois senator's willingness to meet with tyrants as naive. Some commentators have acted as if Obama, touring the Middle East and Europe this week on his first trip abroad since effectively wrapping up the nomination, is in for a rude awakening.

These critiques, however, are off the mark. Over the course of the campaign against Hillary Clinton and now McCain, Obama has elaborated more and more the ideas that would undergird his foreign policy as president. What emerges is a world view that is far from that of a typical liberal, much closer to that of a traditional realist. It is interesting to note that, at least in terms of the historical schools of foreign policy, Obama seems to be the cool conservative and McCain the exuberant idealist.

Fareed Zakaria: How Obama Sees the World | Newsweek Politics: Campaign 2008 | Newsweek.com

I'd like to ask that posters read the whole two-page editorial before commenting, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 08:22 AM

454 posts, read 746,866 times
Quote:
... It is interesting to note that, at least in terms of the historical schools of foreign policy, Obama seems to be the cool conservative and McCain the exuberant idealist.
Do you honestly believe this?

I don't read anything written by Fareed Zakaria.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:23 AM

Why not?

Old 07-21-2008, 08:26 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,261,564 times
Sounds like a MOSLEM author's name!!!!

Everyone run!

HUSSEIN HUSSEIN!!!

Old 07-21-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnari View Post
Do you honestly believe this?

I don't read anything written by Fareed Zakaria.
Evidently you dont read anything written by thread-posters, either - I'd asked that people please read the whole editorial before commenting.

I realize it's a whopping two pages long

Old 07-21-2008, 08:51 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,751,720 times
I looked it over, per your request. My concern is this: If The Magic Negro can accomplish all his ideologies, what will happen when the aggressors see him for what he really is (in my mind), an appeaser, a placater, a front, a "paper tiger," an enabler? As you wrote elsewhere about a certain book we (you and I) discussed, it could be horrible.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
I looked it over, per your request. My concern is this: If The Magic Negro can accomplish all his ideologies, what will happen when the aggressors see him for what he really is (in my mind), an appeaser, a placater, a front, a "paper tiger," an enabler? As you wrote elsewhere about a certain book we (you and I) discussed, it could be horrible.
Well, the purpose of the editorial is to point out that Obama is not the naive idealist the RW tries to lead us to believe, and that his approach to foreign policy problems is actually more practical and conservative than McCain's and the Republicans'. Besides that, you're asking that the article - and I - refute your opinion and (wishful) speculation.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:03 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,751,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Well, the purpose of the editorial is to point out that Obama is not the naive idealist the RW tries to lead us to believe. Besides that, you're asking that the article - and I - refute your opinion.
I rest my case, then. HAGD!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:04 AM

Refute your opinion, DP. Allah akhbar

Old 07-21-2008, 09:06 AM

4,147 posts, read 7,973,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
I rest my case, then. HAGD!
What does this mean? Nope never mind.

Have a good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections