Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 10:40 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,606,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Your statement is an example of what I am talking about. She would have said something like that, which has no truth to it. My vote will be decided by what I have heard Obama and his wife say on their own. If you will read back, I just said that. The problem is that you could not understand what I said or you would not be asking such a dumb question. I am saying that the people of the city of Chicago probably do not think like the average middle American, therefore you cannot base what middle America will vote for by looking at what a person in Chicago will do. I am part of middle America and I will be voting for McCain.
The Metrolina area is not considered Middle America. The Mid-West is, and Chicago is an integral part of that. A brief study of the History of Chicago would in fact, help you understand how much of the South is rooted in Chicago.

If you want to understand ones thought process, and they have written a book, then it only makes sense to read the book. You don't have to agree with the views expressed within; however, for further discussion it lends more credibility to your comments than the contents of an email stated as fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 10:41 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,176,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
mm, hmm...OK

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
Andre Gide (1869 - 1951)
Andre Gide! That sounds like a FOREIGNER!

Old 07-26-2008, 10:42 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,645,055 times
Quote:
Well it would certainly be poor judgment to hire the person who runs a poor campaign. That in and of itself should be quite telling regarding the leadership qualities possessed by the candidate.
We agree! Whatever happens the best campaign wins. I have watched with amusement the way McCain is handling the Obama underdog act. I think Obama is dead in the water. McCain is really a cool candidate. Obama is lost when he doesn't have someone to fight with and McCain is playing the gentleman and ignoring the attacks just like I ignored a few on this thread. When you answer some attacks you give too much dignity to the attacker. McCain is a class act and Obama is a whiny cry baby. He really needs to grow up.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:44 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,971,624 times
Quote:
A brief study of the History of Chicago would in fact, help you understand how much of the South is rooted in Chicago.
I live in the Chicago area. It bears NO resemblance to the south, regardless of any "roots" it might once have had.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:47 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,093,884 times
Quote:
A brief study of the History of Chicago would in fact, help you understand how much of the South is rooted in Chicago.
I believe that is mostly in the African American community. I grew up going to mostly African American schools just south of Chicago and most of my friends who were African American had relatives in the south and went there every summer to visit them (it is readily apparent in accent and culinary traditions), it was rare, however, that my white friends did (most of my relatives are actually in New England).

Old 07-26-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We agree! Whatever happens the best campaign wins. I have watched with amusement the way McCain is handling the Obama underdog act. I think Obama is dead in the water. McCain is really a cool candidate. Obama is lost when he doesn't have someone to fight with and McCain is playing the gentleman and ignoring the attacks (NO, He's Not) just like I ignored a few on this thread. When you answer some attacks you give too much dignity to the attacker. McCain is a class act and Obama is a whiny cry baby(So he's not a complainer?). He really needs to grow up.
After McCain campaign complains, Obama team rejects comments of Wesley Clark.

June 30, 2008 11:42 AM

WASHINGTON--A few minutes after the McCain conference call concluded--where Barack Obama was called on to reject comments made by retired Gen. Wesley Clark (see blog item below) questioning John McCain's war record and his qualifications to serve as president, this statement from the Obama campaign: "As he's said many times before, Senator Obama honors and respects Senator McCain's service, and of course he rejects yesterday's statement by General Clark," said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton.

McCain's Complaint
04/28/2007
WASHINGTON -- Sen. John McCain, who was the darling of the political press corps during the 2000 election cycle, complains to friends that he is getting much rougher treatment from the news media than his competitors for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination, Rudy Giuliani and Mitt Romney.

Public Opinion: John McCain's Complaints About Media Bias Toward Barack Obama

Have the media gone in the bag for Obama, or is McCain jealous of losing the affections of his "base"?
Posted July 23, 2008
Sen. John McCain's campaign launched a new Internet video lambasting the media for fawning over Sen. Barack Obama. Obama supporters say that McCain, who has in the past had such good relations with the media that he called them "my base," is jealous, if not trying to gin up a nonissue for political gain. Have the media fallen for Obama? Or is the McCain campaign off base?

Morning Topic: McCain Complains About Congressional Recess After he has Missed 367 Votes

July 3rd, 2008 @ 9:50 am EST
So last week, as the Congress was set to recess for their traditional Independence Day week-long break, McCain complained:
McCain took Congress to task for taking a July 4 recess without completing action on a housing rescue plan, calling it "incredible that Congress should go on vacation while Americans are trying to stay in their homes."
Now last I checked, John McCain was still a Senator from Arizona. Yet the last time he actually showed up for his job and voted was April 8th. He is the Senator who has missed the most votes, despite the fact that Senators Obama and Clinton were still deeply involved in a primary battle long after McCain had secured the GOP nomination. In fact, as of last Wednesday, McCain had missed 367 votes (61.4% of the total) during the 110th Congress. Now missing most votes when running for President is not unusual — but rather the norm. But if McCain thinks that the Housing Reform bill is that important, then instead of travelling to Colombia and Mexico this week, he should have gone to Washington and helped negotiate the bill. He did not. Instead he is complaining about others travelling and not finishing a bill in which he decided to have no role.

It goes both ways, objectivity, is the key.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:13 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,293,225 times
Voting against a veteran.. I guess this is how Bob Dole beat Clinton.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I believe that is mostly in the African American community. I grew up going to mostly African American schools just south of Chicago and most of my friends who were African American had relatives in the south and went there every summer to visit them (it is readily apparent in accent and culinary traditions), it was rare, however, that my white friends did (most of my relatives are actually in New England).
While many black folks migrated up the Mississippi (So did white folks & this is discussed extensively during the jazz eras), a brief study of the History of Chicago will expose a rich tapestry of diverse groups who migrated there in waves. From the times when the French brought the first Europeans there, the Indian tribes who inhabited the area to the huge European waves that occupied the slums in massive numbers, the jazz influx, African Americans, steelworkers, farm era, Asians and Hispanic settlements, Jewish, African, Germans and more - Chicago is an incredibly diverse tapestry of history and people.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:21 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,471,219 times
Quote:
Well it would certainly be poor judgment to hire the person who runs a poor campaign. That in and of itself should be quite telling regarding the leadership qualities possessed by the candidate.
I didn't read the other post yet but are you an Obama supporter? If you are... would you say the same thing about Al Gore or John Kerry? I don't think either one of those guys had a good campaign (and I thought this before they lost)... but does that mean their leadership qualities were lacking? I'm guessing not. It's a matter of hitting the right notes at the right time and money. Petty things like looks and height are also factors (remember M. Dukakis?). Bill Clinton - was politically inexperienced (only 6 years I think - less than Obama) and elected despite multiple women coming forward claiming they had an affair with him but he ran a good campaign to overcome this character flaw (and ended up getting caught with his pants down - talk about poor judgement). I'm just saying, it's not about whose the most qualified or the best leader.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I didn't read the other post yet but are you an Obama supporter? If you are... would you say the same thing about Al Gore or John Kerry? I don't think either one of those guys had a good campaign (and I thought this before they lost)... but does that mean their leadership qualities were lacking? I'm guessing not. It's a matter of hitting the right notes at the right time and money. Petty things like looks and height are also factors (remember M. Dukakis?). Bill Clinton - was politically inexperienced (only 6 years I think - less than Obama) and elected despite multiple women coming forward claiming they had an affair with him but he ran a good campaign to overcome this character flaw (and ended up getting caught with his pants down - talk about poor judgement). I'm just saying, it's not about whose the most qualified or the best leader.
I don't care about Al Gore or any candidate other than the one who is running for an office I am being asked to consider. (I don't intend to be harsh) At the time, I did, and voted accordingly - for whom? I'm certain you would be shocked. In this election cycle, a key consideration of mine, is how well the candidates can manage and run their respective campaigns. Perhaps the next cycle there will be something else that holds weight in my mind. But at present, and in consideration of how they run the campaigns as it holds some relevance in how the US will be perceived by the World through the actions of the winning candidate, it is important. A large portion of negotiation (and diplomacy is negotiation), is perception. We are not perceived well as negotiators, hence we have poor diplomatic policy.

Independent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections