Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:28 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times

Advertisements

Here is a prediction, despite all of the back and forth banter about the candidates, the election will pivot on the Russia/Georgia issue.

I believe you will see this become the pivot point concerning who gets elected, the "undecideds" will make their decision based upon how they perceive both candidates will function in this world.

While I don't view this as an issue that will switch votes between those already backing Obama or McCain, I predict this will be THE ISSUE impacting the vote of those who have not yet committed to a candidate.

I believe the other stuff won't matter. This is the pivotal election issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 10:34 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
you don't think this situation will be better by november? I can't see it dragging on that long, but if it does, you might be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Here is a prediction, despite all of the back and forth banter about the candidates, the election will pivot on the Russia/Georgia issue.

I believe you will see this become the pivot point concerning who gets elected, the "undecideds" will make their decision based upon how they perceive both candidates will function in this world.

While I don't view this as an issue that will switch votes between those already backing Obama or McCain, I predict this will be THE ISSUE impacting the vote of those who have not yet committed to a candidate.

I believe the other stuff won't matter. This is the pivotal election issue.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:34 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
It's not boiled down enough yet. Voters primary concern will be their pockets. It's still the Economy and jobs...this is just another issue that will be boiled down to "why should we get involved in another War." Most folks will see this as an opportunity for the US to not meddle and will find the first talking point they can that says "we shouldn't be in Iraq, how can you possibly think we should be involved with Russia?" 3/4 of the Country doesn't want to hear US and "involved in another War" in the same day, let alone the same sentence.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
you don't think this situation will be better by november? I can't see it dragging on that long, but if it does, you might be right.
The specific action will long be over, the long term meaning will be subject to much debate.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:38 AM

Walidm, you are making my point there. You have your point of view, and I'm sure some others will share it too. Others will see it differently.

Meanwhile, the discussions will make this the most significant issue by far, dwarfing everything else.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Walidm, you are making my point there. You have your point of view, and I'm sure some others will share it too. Others will see it differently.

Meanwhile, the discussions will make this the most significant issue by far, dwarfing everything else.
Ah, I mistook the play on words. I agree it will be significant, it may not be seen as such by the average voter.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:43 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,451,103 times
Quote:
Not on this forum, the issues will still be Obama's birth certificate and is he a Muslim or not....

Old 08-11-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipm8 View Post
Not on this forum, the issues will still be Obama's birth certificate and is he a Muslim or not....
"Mis-direction Stan, Mis-direction"

[Swordfish]

Old 08-11-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipm8 View Post
In fairness to all posters though, a posting forum isn't Heritage, Pew or Brookings.

But, my prediction still stands, regardless of threads in this forum.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Ah, I mistook the play on words. I agree it will be significant, it may not be seen as such by the average voter.
I agree in the short run, but my predicition is that the subsequent discussions about the meaning of today's events will dominate the election discussions. It will be the decision point for most truly undecideds.

Healthcare, abortion, gay rights, family issues, tax policy and border support will become background issues. Folks will debate them, but the decisions will come from this "dust up".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections