U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did You Believe John Edwards When He Lied About His Affair During The Primaries
I Thought John Edwards Was Telling The Truth About Him Being A Caring Husband And Father. 3 15.79%
I Thought John Edwards was lieing 8 42.11%
I don't remember what I thought. 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 01:45 PM

3,297 posts, read 5,819,501 times

Advertisements

POLL: Did You Believe John Edwards When He Lied About His Affair During The Primaries
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 01:58 PM

9,043 posts, read 12,009,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
POLL: Did You Believe John Edwards When He Lied About His Affair During The Primaries
Guilt by association (with the party).

How bolshevist .

Old 08-13-2008, 01:58 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,947,770 times
Yes he did lie but no greater lie than Bush lieing to get us into a war based on total lies.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:37 PM

12,408 posts, read 17,361,597 times
I like Edwards very much and oftimes disagree with Cap, but I used to sit back and watch Edwards and think what a good job he would do as President or Attorney General, and the thought occurred to me, 'This guy is too happy. He looks like a guy in love.' I was hoping that he had good news about his wife's health, but alas, he was brought down the way many good men are.

If someone cheats, it follows that they will lie about it, so that does not disturb me. What other profession destroys a career because of an affair? Not many. Even clergy who had made a habit of frequenting ladies of the evening were forgiven the first time they were caught.

I think it is a sad story, all around. For him, the woman and his wife. I hope they resolve this in some way, for his wife does not need this at this time in her life. Many people have juggled a lover and a spouse for years. It is not shocking if everyone is aware of what's happening. The greatest wrong is if a child is born that cannot be cared for properly and if the spouse does not know, though others do.

This has happened so often that I think society should have another way of dealing with it.
Certainly, it should have no bearing on a job any more than a penchant for ice cream. It's apples and oranges.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:55 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,947,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I like Edwards very much and oftimes disagree with Cap, but I used to sit back and watch Edwards and think what a good job he would do as President or Attorney General, and the thought occurred to me, 'This guy is too happy. He looks like a guy in love.' I was hoping that he had good news about his wife's health, but alas, he was brought down the way many good men are.

If someone cheats, it follows that they will lie about it, so that does not disturb me. What other profession destroys a career because of an affair? Not many. Even clergy who had made a habit of frequenting ladies of the evening were forgiven the first time they were caught.

I think it is a sad story, all around. For him, the woman and his wife. I hope they resolve this in some way, for his wife does not need this at this time in her life. Many people have juggled a lover and a spouse for years. It is not shocking if everyone is aware of what's happening. The greatest wrong is if a child is born that cannot be cared for properly and if the spouse does not know, though others do.

This has happened so often that I think society should have another way of dealing with it.
Certainly, it should have no bearing on a job any more than a penchant for ice cream. It's apples and oranges.
---------------

I find Edwards who I once liked a pig . His wife has cancer you can see she loves him .
His cheating I would normally say is their business and it still is but since she has cancer seems just that much worse.

What stress this has to be for her. A cancer that can resurface. I imagine the kid is his and she knows this.

I was just trying to "tick" off Marine Captain by mentioning Iraq but Edwards lied and hope I never see him again.

Dem party doesnt need him.

All the men in my family cheat/ed I hope to get married just so I can cheat but won't if my wife is ill. Will wait till she is fine as a man should do.

I hope this earns me the respect of those reading this.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:58 PM

10,632 posts, read 17,310,270 times
I'll admit it - I believed him.

He's a disgrace to Democrats and I think it was incredibly stupid of him to even try to run for election knowing this was in his past.

He should drop out of political life from here on out and kiss his wife's youknowwhat from here on out.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:09 PM

12,408 posts, read 17,361,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I'll admit it - I believed him.

He's a disgrace to Democrats and I think it was incredibly stupid of him to even try to run for election knowing this was in his past.

He should drop out of political life from here on out and kiss his wife's youknowwhat from here on out.
I would like to rethink what marriage is. People cheat. But is it really cheating? Is it possible to care very much for two people, but in different ways? Is it possible to pledge to spend your life with some special person with whom you are very compatible, and yet feel a crazy yearning for another?
Medicine has said that the first stages of an affair or romance are filled with this euphoric sexual fantasy sort of thing, but it is caused by your body secreting drugs. Eventually you become used to the drug and also discontinue manufacturing it, and as they say, the honeymoon is over.

So, most sexual infatuations usually burn themselves out in a few years. The people you feel that attraction for are often not those who you might marry, in your right mind.

I think marriage, in the future, might be something more meaningful than the affair and the pledge to marry might be deeper than not having sex with someone else.

I am not sure about this. I don't think people should cheat, but since honorable people have had affairs, maybe we, as a society, should examine this more closely.
If we expect to be with our spouse, despite dalliances, would that be a workable arrangement?
If our spouses understood that there might be outside recreation going on they would not be as shocked. If they knew the stability of the home was not threatened by it - - - I don't know.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:08 PM

421 posts, read 1,030,221 times
It's not any other job. If he were my mailman, I'd say it's his business. I'd like to think we hold the people who are running for the highest office in the nation to the highest standards. He was running for President, for God's sake, and he was doing this at the same time.

His wife? Yeah, I feel sorry for Elizabeth, but that's tempered by the fact that she supposedly knew about this back in 2006 and went along with him, wanting everyone in America to believe that they were this wonderful happy stable family that has survived adversity and that he's someone we'd be proud to call our leader, our commander-in-chief.

Well he's just another ordinary lying cheating scuzzball. I'll just bet you that child is his, and if he's denying it knowing she is his daughter, he should go straight to hell. After all, if the other guy is the father, and his name has been released in public, and his wife presumably knows (along with their three children), why didn't Rielle Hunter list him as the father on the baby's birth certificate? I think the reason is because Andrew Young isn't really the father of that baby. Reports came out this week that the baby "looks like John Edwards in a onesie". And what was he doing in that hotel room with her and the baby in the middle of the night a month ago? Visiting his ex-mistress who just gave birth to supposedly another man's baby?! AND if you're wondering why Andrew Young would $$$tick his neck out $$$o far (1.2 million), the an$$$wer (1.2 million) may be right here in this article (1.2 million):

The Rielle Hunter scandal: where did Andrew Young get his money?

What's the deal? Why is it only perverts and crooks get to run for president in this country? I wasn't even going to vote for this guy, but I'm angry. I'm angry because once again, the American people were treated like a pack of stupid idiots.

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of being treated like I'm stupid.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:09 PM

20,136 posts, read 22,146,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Unless your name is Larry Craig.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:55 PM

839 posts, read 1,541,193 times
I don't remember. I'm just glad I never voted for him.

Last edited by rogercobb; 08-14-2008 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections