Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:26 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times

Advertisements

sorry folks that attempt to paint this as some sort of inspirational children's book. this book attempts to paint him as a god.

http://www.weaselzippers.net/.a/6a00e008c6b4e5883400e5540143528834-pi (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 09:27 AM

I think I should introduce you to the theory of separation of church and state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Oh my word. Has this country actually reached a point of such hate and cynical thought process that a book that attempts to inspire hope in young children is looked upon as evil and that a man running for public office must renounce his faith and belief in God? What you don't seem to grasp is that, to those of us who have a deep and sustaining faith, speaking of God and having statements regarding our faith in our conversation is as natural as breathing. We don't leave our faith at church on Sunday. It informs everything we do every day of the week and to not mention it would seem false and unnatural. That doesn't mean that we don't respect other faiths or even people with no faith. It just means that our faith is an important part of us. If you would suggest that only people with no faith or weak faith should run for public office, then I find THAT scary.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:28 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
sorry folks that attempt to paint this as some sort of inspirational children's book. This book attempts to paint him as a god.

http://www.weaselzippers.net/.a/6a00e008c6b4e5883400e5540143528834-pi (broken link)
creepy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:29 AM

but it's an "inspirational" children's book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
creepy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Oh my word. Has this country actually reached a point of such hate and cynical thought process that a book that attempts to inspire hope in young children is looked upon as evil and that a man running for public office must renounce his faith and belief in God? What you don't seem to grasp is that, to those of us who have a deep and sustaining faith, speaking of God and having statements regarding our faith in our conversation is as natural as breathing. We don't leave our faith at church on Sunday. It informs everything we do every day of the week and to not mention it would seem false and unnatural. That doesn't mean that we don't respect other faiths or even people with no faith. It just means that our faith is an important part of us. If you would suggest that only people with no faith or weak faith should run for public office, then I find THAT scary.
So what did you think of Bush? He certainly brought his faith up on a regular basis and got blasted by the media for it. If Bush can't bring up his faith (and I am no Bush supporter), then why can Obama? Obama and Bush are two peas in pod on religion and faith and it is quite scary!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:32 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
Quote:
I think I should introduce you to the theory of separation of church and state.
The Constitution says that the state will not impose itself on anyone's religion or impose a specific religion on anyone. It NO WHERE says that the country's leaders can not have a religion or speak of their religion. If so, then very few of those who were president...starting with George Washington on.....could have been elected president. This new idea that the mention of faith in public is "unAmerican" is NOT constitutional and is in fact against everything on which this nation was founded.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:32 AM

I don't think this book was approved by obama, it's just one of his psychotically obsessive supporters.

Quote:
So what did you think of Bush? He certainly brought his faith up on a regular basis and got blasted by the media for it. If Bush can't bring up his faith (and I am no Bush supporter), then why can Obama? Obama and Bush are two peas in pod on religion and faith and it is quite scary!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I don't think this book was approved by obama, it's just one of his psychotically obsessive supporters.
Thanks.

But again, the question, why was Bush blasted by the media for his "faith" and everyone is giving a pass to Obama for his "faith"?

Old 08-15-2008, 09:36 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
Quote:
Thanks.

But again, the question, why was Bush blasted by the media for his "faith" and everyone is giving a pass to Obama for his "faith"?
I certainly never blasted Bush for his faith. Just for his judgement and the judgement of those with whom he surrounded himself. In point of fact, I have never heard anyone "blast" Bush for his faith.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:36 AM

what the hell are you talking about? barack didn't write the freaking book, so why are you bringing up obama and god? this book looks and sounds like it wants to paint him as a god. I never said that politicians can't say anything about religion, I said it shouldn't influence politics. also, you say that if they didn't speak of religion they couldn't get elected? also, the opposite is true. romney didn't get the nomination strictly because he was mormon.

Quote:
The Constitution says that the state will not impose itself on anyone's religion or impose a specific religion on anyone. It NO WHERE says that the country's leaders can not have a religion or speak of their religion. If so, then very few of those who were president...starting with George Washington on.....could have been elected president. This new idea that the mention of faith in public is "unAmerican" is NOT constitutional and is in fact against everything on which this nation was founded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections