Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:33 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
John McCain's stories, remind me of sitting with my Dad's buddies as they recounted their glory days. While interesting and fun, my Dad always said, the truth might be in there somewhere, but most make a Marlin out of a Minnow over time.
Like when the Packers turn into the Steelers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 10:35 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Obama's reflection on his mother teaching him to treat others with empathy mirrored my upbringing. Obama's reflection on how prochoice is NOT proabortion mirrored my prolife stance that the mother's life matters as much as the unborn's and the solution is ending unwanted pregnancies before they begin through education and healthcare.
John McCain's stories, remind me of sitting with my Dad's buddies as they recounted their glory days. While interesting and fun, my Dad always said, the truth might be in there somewhere, but most make a Marlin out of a Minnow over time.
Yup, old codger's memories are sometimes very creative.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:44 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,462,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
So, those who watched the forum tonight got a glimpse of a few of McCain's life stories. Military service, POW, adopted bangladesh daughter.

Let's hear some of Obama's stories, shall we?

I'll start;

His early adult life (pre-college - college years?) spent selfishly (his "words") lazing around doing drugs and getting drunk.

Next;
Yawn....I don't want a good story teller around a camp fire. I want somebody who is going to fix this mess we've made of America over the last eight years.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:02 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,634,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Yawn....I don't want a good story teller around a camp fire. I want somebody who is going to fix this mess we've made of America over the last eight years.

It won't be Dopey, alias Dumbo. Anyway, Obama does not have the kind of past which lends itself to nice stories.

Well, Charles Krauthammer put it in context: we have Obama Lite vs. McCain with "much deeper layers of thought, wisdom, and experience".

Last edited by lilypad; 08-17-2008 at 12:25 PM..

Old 08-17-2008, 12:20 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times
Quote:
So, those who watched the forum tonight got a glimpse of a few of McCain's life stories. Military service, POW, adopted bangladesh daughter.

I'll start;

His early adult life (pre-college - college years?) spent selfishly (his "words") lazing around doing drugs and getting drunk.

Next;
Obama has no interesting stories, other than his made-up, revisionist history. Poor thing.....

Old 08-17-2008, 10:30 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,325,314 times
Quote:

I'll start;

Next;
I want to hear Barack Hussein Obama explain his friendship and connection to Bill Ayers. When Hillary brought Ayers up during their last debate... Obama made sure that it was his last debate with Hillary.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:32 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
His home mortgage story isn't over either.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:45 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,828,286 times
Quote:

I'll start;

Next;
Are we electing our next president based on autobiographies? If that really was the case then Obama wins in terms of numbers.

The republisheep had no problem electing GW over Sen Kerry last election despite the military record of John Kerry vs George W Bush (they smeared his service and should be ashamed of themselves).

I have the utmost respect for Sen McCains service, but that was then this is now. I have not heard a single thought from Sen McCain about how we can reverse our economy.

I enjoy the idea of a middle-class in the US. Sen McCain on the other hand has not given me ANY thought out plans how we can sustain, or better yet, make our middle class prosper. Saying all US citizens should be worth 5 million/yr is cute but were is the meat? As much as you republisheep like to call kool-aid on the dems I have to ask how can McCain justify his ignorance on the personal wealth/real estate costs/unemployment (under-employment) rates/federal tax rates?

Until McCain answers a single question on the economy and how he would face the challenges of our current recesion I will have no respect for him. What do I care if the POTUS wants to uphold certain laws if the majority of the country becomes Detroit?

It's your destiny. Follow blindly a leader who has no economic foresight or be willing to sacrifice for the future.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:38 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
It is ironic, isn't it, how Sen. Kerry's service was totally discounted.

What I want to hear from Sen. McCain is what he's done lately. Anything this century?

Perhaps he could spend some time explaining why he has so little regard for TODAY'S military. Perhaps he could spend some time telling us how he is going to improve or provide health care for the service people injured in Iraq and/or Afghanistan when he keeps voting against the bills to do so.

Perhaps he could explain why he voted against bringing the G.I Bill into the 21st century (oh, I forgot, more benefits discourages people from enlisting).

Perhaps he could explain why it was Sen. Obama who (last week) wrote to SecDef Robert Gates asking to have all excess luggage fees charged directly to the Pentagon rather than being paid out-of-pocket by our current service people. Does Sen. McCain even know that airlines have been charging our service people fees of, in some cases, $300.00 for checked luggage? Sen. 'Liberal Democrat, never served a day' knew, and with no fanfare, actually stepped up and did something about it.

Besides, I thought we were trying to choose a president, not a national 'story'-teller.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:05 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,978,869 times
[quote=sanrene;4888422]So, those who watched the forum tonight got a glimpse of a few of McCain's life stories. Military service, POW, adopted bangladesh daughter.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My friends, the fact is, McCain has one story: I crashed my plane into enemy territory, my friends. My friends, I suffered. So you should vote for me, my friends." And, my friends, he tells it OVER and OVER again because it's his get out of jail free card, my friends. (as is evidenced by Saturday's forum, my friends.)

yawn. So what. Give us a new one. I'm beginning to think he has some kind of martyr complex.
(my friends.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections