Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 04:11 PM

715 posts, read 1,673,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
Ummmm, yes ONE of the wars we are currently involved is legitimate - the one in Afghanistan. Please don't tell me you're one of those poor confused people who think the war in Iraq has something to do with 9/11.
I'm neither poor nor confused You have to remember, though, hind sight is 20/20. Of course, now, it appears that the war in Iraq was a terrible idea. But think back 7 years. There were people on both sides (including Hillary and most other Dems) that authorized the war. Once we were in, what could we do, just leave? We would have had an even bigger problem on our hands had we done that.

I like when people have all the answers after the fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 06:38 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,841,034 times
Quote:
No, Congress voted for the Iraq war because Bush led them into it based on false evidence.
If you believe that lie you must also think Bush is smarter than the whole lot of Congress! Fact is, the area is much safer today, we're safer here and the Iraqi people are better off with Saddam out of the picture.

One could always argue the post war approach or was it worth the cost, but it's absurd to conclude the world isn't a better place today.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:30 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,965,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
In response to Obama not having an opinion on when life begins...

"I would not want to die and get before God one day and go, 'Oh, sorry, I didn't take the time to figure out' because if I was wrong then it had severe implications to my leadership if I had the ability to do something about it. He should either say, 'No scientifically, I do not believe it's a human being until X' or whatever it is or to say, 'Yes, I believe it is a human being at X point,' whether it's conception or anything else. But to just say 'I don't know' on the most divisive issue in America is not a clear enough answer for me."

This guy is just not ready to lead.
Is this the same Rick Warren who was supposed to be a non-sided moderator and facilitator for a Presidential debate that ended up having Mccain in his car while he was supposed to be in a media proof room (and Rick Warren specifically said he was)?

Abortion is the least of our issues right now. I will care what Rick Warren has to say when it's about the wars we are in (and are going to be in), homeland security, the economy, oil/gas and the housing crisis (or as I call it real estate karma).

Old 08-22-2008, 08:56 AM

29,917 posts, read 39,571,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
I'm neither poor nor confused You have to remember, though, hind sight is 20/20. Of course, now, it appears that the war in Iraq was a terrible idea. But think back 7 years. There were people on both sides (including Hillary and most other Dems) that authorized the war. Once we were in, what could we do, just leave? We would have had an even bigger problem on our hands had we done that.

I like when people have all the answers after the fact.

And then have the nerve to question someone else commit to their wife.

The cut and run congress still never cut and ran.....

That should be enough to tell you there is more behind the scenes than the average American knows about.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:44 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,985,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
If you believe that lie you must also think Bush is smarter than the whole lot of Congress! Fact is, the area is much safer today, we're safer here and the Iraqi people are better off with Saddam out of the picture.

One could always argue the post war approach or was it worth the cost, but it's absurd to conclude the world isn't a better place today.
Hmm. A lie, huh? Look at this:
"More than five years after the initial invasion of Iraq, the Senate Intelligence Committee has finally gone on the record: the Bush administration misused, and in some cases disregarded, intelligence which led the nation into war. The two final sections of a long-delayed and much anticipated "Phase II" report on the Bush administration's use of prewar intelligence, released on Thursday morning, accuse senior White House officials of repeatedly misrepresenting the threat posed by Iraq."
Senate Report: Bush Used Iraq Intel He Knew Was False

Just because you'd rather not believe it doesn't mean it's not true.

And the world is a better place today, huh?? Well that's purely opinion. and it is MY opinion that it is NOT a better place. The Economy is in the toilet, our international relations are more tense than they have been in years and Iraq is in shambles (and will get worse when we leave) because of the invasion. woohoo! Lookin good!

Old 08-22-2008, 11:15 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,841,034 times
Quote:
"More than five years after the initial invasion of Iraq, the Senate Intelligence Committee has finally gone on the record: the Bush administration misused, and in some cases disregarded, intelligence which led the nation into war. The two final sections of a long-delayed and much anticipated "Phase II" report on the Bush administration's use of prewar intelligence, released on Thursday morning, accuse senior White House officials of repeatedly misrepresenting the threat posed by Iraq."

And the world is a better place today, huh?? Well that's purely opinion. and it is MY opinion that it is NOT a better place. The Economy is in the toilet, our international relations are more tense than they have been in years and Iraq is in shambles (and will get worse when we leave) because of the invasion. woohoo! Lookin good!
lol. The partisan Senate report signed out by chairman Rockefeller and dems? The dems who ignored all democratic party officials who were in agreement with the intel that Bush was using? That was a hack report -- and I've given it too much time already.

"Saddam Hussein represents a grave threat to the United States, and I have concluded we must use force to deal with him if all other means fail." -- Jay Rockefeller on the Senate floor on October 10, 2002, explaining his vote in favor of using force in Iraq. The chairman for the report. I wonder why his report fails to note this quote

Sorry if your economic situation is worse that 8 years ago. I've asked for specifics as to anyone's actual situation but all I ever read, specifically, is that people are better off -- I'm sure some aren't but you'd think this place would be crawling with firsthand experiences of long soup lines.

The economy has taken on the hysteria similar to global warming. The experts must have a explanation for how these things get so much wind with so little actual fact.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:

http://zfacts.com/metaPage/lib/National-Debt-GDP.gif (broken link)
http://zfacts.com/p/318.html

What if financially we were about the same condition as we were through the Clinton years. We are up slightly from the lowest point in the Clinton years by 5-6%.

Our unemployment rates are equal to the average of the Clinton years. Home ownership although some are rocky is still up higher than it had been for a very long time. http://research.stlouisfed.org/publi...09/Garriga.pdf

What exactly is horrible?

Old 08-22-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
lol. The partisan Senate report signed out by chairman Rockefeller and dems? The dems who ignored all democratic party officials who were in agreement with the intel that Bush was using? That was a hack report -- and I've given it too much time already.

"Saddam Hussein represents a grave threat to the United States, and I have concluded we must use force to deal with him if all other means fail." -- Jay Rockefeller on the Senate floor on October 10, 2002, explaining his vote in favor of using force in Iraq. The chairman for the report. I wonder why his report fails to note this quote

Sorry if your economic situation is worse that 8 years ago. I've asked for specifics as to anyone's actual situation but all I ever read, specifically, is that people are better off -- I'm sure some aren't but you'd think this place would be crawling with firsthand experiences of long soup lines.

The economy has taken on the hysteria similar to global warming. The experts must have a explanation for how these things get so much wind with so little actual fact.
HAHA okay so now a Report from The United States Senate is not good enough proof that Bush LIED??? It's clear that you simply choose to cut yourself off from truth and reason.
I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about whether the WORLD is a better place - which includes, but is not limited to our own economic situations.
NBC/WSJ poll: Voters say they’re worse off - Decision '08 - MSNBC.com

The economy AND global warming (now that you bring it up) are subjects worthy of serious concern.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
http://zfacts.com/metaPage/lib/National-Debt-GDP.gif (broken link)
U.S. National Debt Graph

What if financially we were about the same condition as we were through the Clinton years. We are up slightly from the lowest point in the Clinton years by 5-6%.

Our unemployment rates are equal to the average of the Clinton years. Home ownership although some are rocky is still up higher than it had been for a very long time. http://research.stlouisfed.org/publi...09/Garriga.pdf

What exactly is horrible?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Again:
NBC/WSJ poll: Voters say they’re worse off - Decision '08 - MSNBC.com

Here's one from your boy:
"Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain’s (Ariz.) latest television ad says that the country is in worse shape now than it was before President Bush began his second term."
TheHill.com - McCain ad: ‘Worse off than we were four years ago’

People seem to think we're already in a recession:
Poll: Three-quarters think U.S. in recession - CNN.com

And so does Forbes:
Key Forecaster Says U.S. In Recession - Forbes.com

Plus not everything hinges on the economy. There is the backlash that the US occupation in Iraq has created in the International community. Things are not all sunshine and roses, my friends.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Again:
NBC/WSJ poll: Voters say they̢۪re worse off - Decision '08 - MSNBC.com
"Forty-three percent say that they and their families are worse off, compared with 34 percent who say they’re better off; 21 percent"

That say's 55% are the same or better off....compared to 43%

We will take it at face value but take note it's MSNBC.

Quote:
Here's one from your boy:
"Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain’s (Ariz.) latest television ad says that the country is in worse shape now than it was before President Bush began his second term."
TheHill.com - McCain ad: ‘Worse off than we were four years ago’

I don't disagree 2004 was rocking and home sales were higher than ever before. See the link I posted about home sales. It's a relative comment.....if your up $2000 in 2004 but only up $1900 in 2008 then in the business world you lost money.....even if overall your still $1900 ahead.....and if you look at the corection in the curve after the bubble bust we are still slightly ahead of what was expected without any bubbles or recessions.

Quote:
People seem to think we're already in a recession:
Poll: Three-quarters think U.S. in recession - CNN.com

Quote:
This poll taken about the same time as the first link you provided completel contridicts the other one....which one should I go by CNN or MSNBC....which has more to gain?

Quote:
Plus not everything hinges on the economy. There is the backlash that the US occupation in Iraq has created in the International community. Things are not all sunshine and roses, my friends.
Your right things have never been sunshine and roses.....so we have several years of economic boom then it starts correcting itself and the sky is falling....

Take a look @ our GDP which is only slightly lower then all of the european union combined.

The next closest country is Japan with close to 50% of our GDP...then China...ect...
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...ook/index.html

Go through there and lok at our trade partners like China and japan.

Then take a look back through all the wars all over the world.....things have never been peachy or flowery.

Wars & world history - Homework Center - Multnomah County Library
America's Wars - A Complete History

For almost 300 years we have been waring it up.....It would seem to me things are about average. We might be in a recession but recession can be many "different" views.......if we have 10 straight years of growth then have 3 straight quarters of stagnant or no growth then we are in a recession.....is it the same as 10 straight years of loses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections