U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:30 PM

20,194 posts, read 22,121,021 times

Advertisements

Personally, I don't like McCain or Obama... both horrible candidates in my opinion but when I look at the DNC... most of the media don't actually "show" the convention... its almost ALL commentary... sure they give Michelle, Hilliary, etc. etc. some air time.. but those are not the only speakers... when any other speaker comes on, they go to the "group" of commentators who do nothing but make stupid "rhetoric" speak... I wanted to listen to the actual speakers, not commentators... too bad I don't have CSPAN (only basic television at my place)... ABC, CBS, CNN, etc.. 90% liberal commentators and 10% speakers... what a horrible way to cover the DNC convention... I hope this isn't true of the GOP convention... probably is... anyone here think it is retarded to have so much "commentators" instead of showing the actual speakers...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:37 PM

25,986 posts, read 17,382,358 times
If you have PBS you will eliminate most of the interruptions. Seriously, it has much less intrusion into the speeches. CNN, on the other hand, has half the screen taken up with graphics (and some silly noise meter)

Old 08-27-2008, 08:43 PM

20,194 posts, read 22,121,021 times
I can't get PBS here either... just FOX, ABC, CBS, and NBC... its horrible with all these commentators... I didn't want to watch the DNC to listen to commentators... I wanted to hear the speakers... is that strange of me? It must be cause the media won't let you hear the speakers... just the commentators..

Old 08-27-2008, 08:58 PM

16,248 posts, read 22,951,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Personally, I don't like McCain or Obama... both horrible candidates in my opinion but when I look at the DNC... most of the media don't actually "show" the convention... its almost ALL commentary... sure they give Michelle, Hilliary, etc. etc. some air time.. but those are not the only speakers... when any other speaker comes on, they go to the "group" of commentators who do nothing but make stupid "rhetoric" speak... I wanted to listen to the actual speakers, not commentators... too bad I don't have CSPAN (only basic television at my place)... ABC, CBS, CNN, etc.. 90% liberal commentators and 10% speakers... what a horrible way to cover the DNC convention... I hope this isn't true of the GOP convention... probably is... anyone here think it is retarded to have so much "commentators" instead of showing the actual speakers...
On Dish Network they have a special channel that does show the whole thing- on 24/7 even when the hall is empty. On channel 211

Old 08-27-2008, 10:17 PM

41,313 posts, read 42,271,959 times
God what a boring bunch - even the media has commented on it.

Except of course when the clinton were speaking. What does that tell you?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:36 PM

1,287 posts, read 4,816,420 times
I agree with the OP. It's such a scandal how they fill all of that valuable time spinning themselves into a frenzy over gossip and hearsay from unnamed sources about all sorts of trivial and irrelevant matters. Too bad you don't have CSPAN.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:13 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,378,044 times
Its a waste of time and money.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:25 AM

68 posts, read 185,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
God what a boring bunch - even the media has commented on it.

Except of course when the clinton were speaking. What does that tell you?
This is so true. The convention has been sooo boring. I feel like all of the speeches have been so empty and downright blah. Biden is so boring and his huge capped teeth freak me out.

Now, granted, I am a Republican, but I was at least expecting some compelling speeches. Haven't seen one. The only interesting thing was watching the CNN interview of a HRC delegate crying that BHO is not experienced enough and that HRC got screwed.

I hope the Republican convention is more exciting. I remember Zell Miller's speech from the 04 convention...now that was a great speech!!

Old 08-28-2008, 09:30 AM

41,313 posts, read 42,271,959 times
They really haven't even thrown any red meat to the masses - that's what conventions are about - fire up your base.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:32 AM

9,855 posts, read 23,708,587 times
I thought it was interesting that when Kerry was speaking, on the MSNBC coverage they just did a commentary segment over it and didn't show him speaking. This is the same man who ran for president just 4 years ago. Harsh to say the very least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections