Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 09:55 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times

Advertisements

Prior to the election I think most would say McCain was a good Senator or a well-regarded one to say the least.

His fairly positive reputation as a Senator was mostly based on that of being independent and walking to the beat of his own drum.

However, during this election he has mostly distanced himself from his "maverick," past and aligned himself with the current tenets of his party, which is why I pretty much lost all the respect I had for him and would never vote for him.

But since he has distanced himself so much from his past and recreated himself, does that make his "experience," as Senator negligible?

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 10:01 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,848,514 times
You are right. To say someone has the experience and then he negates that experience by being "reborn" means that he probably now has less experience than a newcomer. When you look at McCains record over the amount of time he has been in the Senate, it really isn't much. Failed legislation isn't experience. Real experience starts when you live it, not just because you sit in the Senate pondering about it.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:14 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times
I think, when we look at all the McCain flip flopping, that we are seeing a man who will bend his values a great deal in order to be elected.

This indicates that none of us can trust a thing he tells us.

We really don't know which John McCain we will get, the new one or the old.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:29 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Prior to the election I think most would say McCain was a good Senator or a well-regarded one to say the least.

His fairly positive reputation as a Senator was mostly based on that of being independent and walking to the beat of his own drum.

However, during this election he has mostly distanced himself from his "maverick," past and aligned himself with the current tenets of his party, which is why I pretty much lost all the respect I had for him and would never vote for him.

But since he has distanced himself so much from his past and recreated himself, does that make his "experience," as Senator negligible?

What do you all think?
You mean a maverick as in Mark Cuban's Dallas Mavericks

Old 08-28-2008, 10:32 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,848,514 times
McCain proves himself to being a Hypocrite and no wonder he wants to try to forget his past stances and only remember his election propaganda.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:02 PM

McCain will do anything it takes to be elected.
That is why he flipflops on issues.
He is old and desperate.
He has a quick temper and cusses on the Senate floor
and has called his wife things that most women would not take.
She is supposed to be eye candy, at his side, making appear younger.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:07 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,108,130 times
With the exception of Obama who is a radical leftist, every presidential candidate tries to move to the center during an election in order to appeal to more people. That's how Clinton tricked everyone....myself included: (

Old 08-28-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
With the exception of Obama who is a radical leftist, every presidential candidate tries to move to the center during an election in order to appeal to more people. That's how Clinton tricked everyone....myself included: (
Obama sees the promise of a future America - one in which people have jobs and the ill can afford treatment and schools challenge students to do their best. He sees a nation in which we will negotiate and with those who differ with us before taking that step from which, for many, there will be no turning back - before going to war and separating families from their loved ones, often permanently.

He sees a nation in which pensions are paid before CEO's benefits are, and in which people are not mislead into purchasing mortgages that that they cannot afford.

He envisions tax breaks, not for companies who send jobs oversead, but for those who create jobs at home, and for small businesses who typically hire more people than the huge conglomerates.

He has a plan in which the majority of taxpayers will actually get a refund.

These may sound radical to you, but I think it is what we need.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:06 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,108,130 times
Our unemployment is pretty low

I don't want pay to insure illeagals

Bush has given out more money for education than any other president, it's up to the states to use it wisely...most don't

Sometimes you just can't negotiate with a mad man

I believe in capitalism

To bad people like Chuckie Schumer strong armed the banks to give out all these mortgage loans ie: CRA

Old 08-28-2008, 10:10 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,954,333 times
Mc Cain was never quite the maverick he made himself out to be... it was spin.

And any sense of right and wrong he had went out the window the moment that he got the GOP nod. AND when he allowed King George to put his arm around him ... after what the Bushes did to McCain and his family... at that moment I knew he was nothing more than a total and complete politician.... nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections