Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 08:20 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,064,311 times

Advertisements

What is the name of the city where Palin served as Mayor? What is the population there?

What is the name of the place where Palin served on the city counsel for an impressive two terms? What is the population there?

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 09:06 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,752,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Chris View Post
I want to post a couple of things because there needs to be some balance and “reality” involved in a conversation like this. I am not an Obama supporter, but facts are facts and we can’t keep ignoring the facts and make-up things as we go to try to make something look better or worse than what it is.

The fact is, Obama had 8 years at state level government service and now 3 years in the Senate. This brings it to a total of 11 years. As you can see "below" he has been involved for years writing, sponsoring and getting bills past at a state and federal level.

Palis, was on the PTA, than to city counsel, than to Mayor of a very small town, than to elected Governor of Alaska for 2 years. She has passed 1 bill to stop a major mistake in the “bridge to no-where”, which was already in progress when she took office and she has co-sponsored a few other bills that have passed. It is insane to compare the Leadership abilities and experience of her and Obama. I give her credit for what she has done in her small town as Mayor of 250 people and her 2 years as Governor of Alaska which is the size ”population” of Louisville, KY and her 85% approval rating taken in a poll of 3000 people but now we are talking about leading the United States of America. Just because a great High School coach goes 10-0 and has a perfect season, that does not mean he is ready to go coach the New York Yankees. In November I look for an absolute slaughter.

I actually believe, because the “Bush” 8 years has been so horrible, I think the Republican Party thought they didn’t have a chance. But I think they thought it would be Edwards and Clinton and Obama came from nowhere and was a total shock. McCain could have had a shot and knowing this now I would say the Republican party now wishes that they would have put their best out there instead of letting McCain go thru the motions so they could focus on 2012. I feel they went into this election with 2012 in their sites, and they probably still do.

Senator Obama has sponsored or co-sponsored 570 bills in the 109th and 110th Congress.
Senator Obama has sponsored or co-sponsored 15 bills that have become LAW since he joined the Senate in 2005.
Senator Obama has also introduced amendments to 50 bills, of which 16 were adopted by the Senate.

Most of his legislative effort has been in the areas of:
 Energy Efficiency and Climate Change (25 bills)
 Health care (21 bills) and public health (20 bills)
 Consumer protection/labor (14 bills)
 The needs of Veterans and the Armed Forces (13 bills)
 Congressional Ethics and Accountability (12 bills)
 Foreign Policy (10 bills)
 Voting and Elections (9 bills)
 Education (7 bills)
 Hurricane Katrina Relief (6)
 The Environment (5 bills)
 Homeland Security (4 bills)
 Discrimination (4 bills)
Look... are we going to get a list of accomplishments or what? How does any of that compare to 2 WHOLE years of governing the wilderness?

No but seriously, how in Earth could McCain make such a dumbfounded choice? Paul Begata really hit the nail on the head with this write up:

[EXCERPT]

"In choosing this featherweight, McCain passed over Tom Ridge, a decorated combat hero, a Cabinet secretary and the former two-term governor of the large, complex state of Pennsylvania. iReport.com: 'McCain pick might be a gimmick' He passed over Mitt Romney, who ran a big state, Massachusetts; a big company, Bain Capital; and a big event, the Olympics.
He passed over Kay Bailey Hutchison, the Texas senator who is knowledgeable about the military, good on television and -- obviously -- a woman. He passed over Joe Lieberman, his best friend in the Senate and fellow Iraq Kool-Aid drinker.
He passed over former congressman, trade negotiator and budget director Rob Portman.
And he also passed over Mike Huckabee, the governor of Arkansas."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/...lin/index.html

Last edited by tekka-maki; 08-30-2008 at 09:17 PM..

Old 08-30-2008, 09:19 PM

195 posts, read 592,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Problem is, if McCain dies - SHE'S PRESIDENT!If that's your argument, you mines well vote for Barry!
If you vote for Obama, you WILL get an inexperienced president.

If you vote for McCain, you have a small chance to get an inexperienced president.

Seems like an easy decision.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2Westchester View Post
THe accomplishments i listed don't even include any bills he sponsored or wrote since 2004 whne he became a US Senator.

Those are being saved.

Compared to Baracks work she has:

a) Stopped congress from building a bridge
b) reformed politics in a State with 800K people
Boy you ARE good at padding resume. Obama should hire you to pump up a big deal out of nothing.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Don't let it bother you, this is what happens to sycophants that are not critical thinkers, it's almost like they short circuit when faced with stark reality and like a rabies infested dog, they will grip tight to their "argument" no matter how feeble their stance even while they sink. It's perfectly normal.
Because I am not a critical thinker, I borrow Obama's argument - what matters is judgement, not experience. I see nothing wrong with Palin.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
Yea keep telling that to yourself. Hail McQueen
I can't believe Obama is supported by people like you. That alone is worth voting against Obama.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
You don't get it, do you? Part of the VP's job is to REPLACE the president when he can no longer perform. So Yes, the fact remains that the nature of her position is very presidential.
Obama is NOT presidential and is most likely to become a president. You are quibbling over a possibility of Palin being a vice? Get real and check your critical thinking. I rather trust a judgement of a woman who ran a city and a state than that of somebody who did some community organizing bs.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:35 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,171,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygal1 View Post
what matters is judgement
We need experince to gauge judgment.

McCain demonstrated his judgment by picking Palin.

We have years of experience from Senator Obama and all the bills he's written for and/or endorsed/introduced to gauge his judgment. Rock solid education.

Then we have a mayor of a town of 8000 and a less then one term governor of the second smallest state by population in the country who was dancing in a bikini for money while Barack was studying international trade.

So tell me, why should we trust McCain with his pick, and how do we ascertain "judgment" from Palin when she has operated on such a small scale?

Old 08-31-2008, 09:17 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,752,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygal1 View Post
If you vote for Obama, you WILL get an inexperienced president.

If you vote for McCain, you have a small chance to get an inexperienced president.

Seems like an easy decision.
Probability and statistics are ostensibly not your forte. McCain has one foot in the grave and had experienced what... FOUR bouts of cancer? I know Darth Vader (aka Cheney) defied all odds (Hell has special plans for him) but c'mon!

Old 08-31-2008, 09:48 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,913,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash83 View Post
Sarah Palin -
She has had a 80 to 90 percent approval rating
Govenor for two years
She has passed a helpful reform bill for Alaska. Just like they said, Alaska had a corrupt system till she stepped in.
Stopped the "bridge to no where" that would of cost over 400 million dollars to tax payers
She will greatly help with the female vote
She mixes her young age in with McCain's older age to create a nice mix
She will solidify the conservative base, conservatives love her

If I can use more from other posters:

In charge of the National Security of the largest pipeline transporting 25% of our nation's oil
In charge of one of 120 fed. funded Counter Terrorism units in Alaska
In charge of Disaster 1 a unit that went to aid The World Trade Center
Union membership and took out "mob" union boss
A small town girl from a working family (What Obama and Biden are touting in their convention)

Here's more:
Stopped pork spending
Created a surplus and got rid of a deficit
Stood up against oil companies

Barack Obama -
Says he will end the Iraq war, give universal health care.....and keep taxes low
Gave some speeches somewhere
????????????????????????????????????????????

Who do you think is more qualified?

Keep DRINKING THE KOOL AID Republicans.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections