Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:27 PM

52 posts, read 79,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
A lot of the people labled as "failures" today were "successes" 8 years ago. There are a whole lot of people out there who had a good, steady job with health care benefits, owned their own homes, owned their own SUVs, took great vacations, sent their kids to college....were what you or anyone else would call successes. 8 years of Bush later they are working 2 minimum wage jobs, no insurance, house in foreclosure, kids can't finish college, SUV repossesed....and labeled as failures. And the ironic part is that many of those same people voted for Bush because they didn't want "failures" profiting from their hard work and thought that only lazy bums would ever end up in the same condition they now find themselves in. Karma's a *itch. Or, as was said much better, "Send not to ask for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee."
90% of the one's i know that have lost there homes where making $30000 a year and had a $300000 home a $50000 truck and a $40000 bass boat.
Thats why they lost every thing they did not know when to stop spending.
The sad thing is they all blame bush for there own mistakes.

When americans start to own up to there own mistakes and stop blaming every thing on the gov. Thats when will will put america back on track and only then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 09:36 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james2009 View Post
Did you know that in 1998 was the first time the price of diesel past the price of gas.

Did you know there was more jobs lost in 1998 and 1999 than in the full 8 years bush has been in office.

The 8 years MR Bill was in office my part of the state lost about 18000 jobs.

the 8 years bush has been in office not only did we get most of the jobs lost back but they are higher paying jobs.

I can go on and on with this but some of you just do not want facts
Rearly, how come the Labor force stats show a different picture?

Data extracted on: August 30, 2008 (11:28:37 PM)

Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey

Series Id: LNS14000000
Seasonal Adjusted
Series title: (Seas) Unemployment Rate
Labor force status: Unemployment rate
Type of data: Percent
http://data.bls.gov/PDQ/graphics/LNS14000000_52324_1220153317566.gif (broken link)

And maybe Diesel was at $1.05 per gallon under Clinton while Unleaded was at $0.99 per gallon!!So what? now it is 4 times that amount!

As for getting more higher paying jobs created ? you got me there... are they Mortgage brokers ??? Who are they?

A smaller percentage of the total population is working today or any other time the last 8 years than during Clinton's time in the White House

Last edited by S6Sputnik; 08-30-2008 at 09:52 PM..

Old 08-30-2008, 09:42 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Did you know that in 1998 was the first time the price of diesel past the price of gas.

Did you know there was more jobs lost in 1998 and 1999 than in the full 8 years bush has been in office.

The 8 years MR Bill was in office my part of the state lost about 18000 jobs.

the 8 years bush has been in office not only did we get most of the jobs lost back but they are higher paying jobs.

I can go on and on with this but some of you just do not want facts
If you have facts, bring 'em. In other words, provide data to back your claims.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:44 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
90% of the one's i know that have lost there homes where making $30000 a year and had a $300000 home a $50000 truck and a $40000 bass boat.
Thats why they lost every thing they did not know when to stop spending.
The sad thing is they all blame bush for there own mistakes.

When americans start to own up to there own mistakes and stop blaming every thing on the gov. Thats when will will put america back on track and only then.
Well you sure know different people than I do. Because most of the people I know and about which I wrote are honest, hard working, sensible people who believed that because they got up and went to work every day, paid their bills, raised good families and played by the rules, they were "safe" and "successful." They worked at auto plants, they were computer programmers, they were secretaries for local companies, they were machinist, they were engineers, they were real estate salespeople, they were people just like you and I. They owned modest homes and had modest dreams....the same dreams most of us hold dear. But when the last factory in the county closes down and moves to China, when the computer jobs are sent to India, when the machinist jobs are sent to Poland, and when people are so desperate because they can't sale their houses that they raffle them off, there isn't much they can do to stop the downhill slide. I know that you want to believe that these people are having these problems because of things they did wrong. If you can make yourself believe that then you can feel safer and can convince yourself that you still control your own destiny and that this can't happen to you. They use to believe that too.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
If you have facts, bring 'em. In other words, provide data to back your claims.
For 1998, U.S. companies cut 677,795 jobs in all, which far surpasses the previous decade-high of 615,186 in 1993.
The yearly total surpassed the 1997 figure of 434,350 by 56 percent and the previous decade-high 1993 figure of 615,186 by 10 percent

Just some of the jobs lost in 1998 it will take me days to get them all.
[SIZE=1]Rockwell cuts 3,800, LTV lays off 600, Lubrizol cuts 150 jobs, American Greeting Cards cuts workers, Eaton cuts 200 jobs in chip-making operation, Sun liquidated with 2,800 losing their jobs, Hanna trims 260 workers and shuts down plant, Repulic buyer cuts 1,400 jobs, Bethlehem Steel cut 750 and closes operations, Weirton Steel lays off 300 workers, World Bank cuts 750 workers, Merrill Lynch cuts 3,400 jobs, TORO closes plants and lays off all workers, Huntington Bank cuts 1,000 jobs, Texaco, Royal Dutch Shell cut 4,000 jobs, Ameritech cuts 5,000 more, Carpet Barn closes all its outlets, Heinz cuts 390 jobs, Cummins Engine cuts 1,000, NBC cuts 250 jobs, Toys R US closes 59 stores, Chase cuts 90 jobs locally, Boston Chicken seeks bankruptcy protection, GE shuts New England plants, Goodyears plans more cuts, BF Goodrich vacates headquarters, Polaroid cuts 700 jobs, Venator Group closes 570 stores, Consolidated Gas cuts 2,600 jobs, Fruit of the Loom cuts another 5,000 workers and moves factories outside the USA- can not afford to pay $8 an hour wage to workers, INTEL cuts 5,000 jobs, Seagate cuts 20,000 jobs, Digital cuts 15,000 in merger with Compaq- Compaq moves factory to China, Boeing and other related companies cut 50,000 jobs, Scott Paper cuts 11,200 jobs, Wells Fargo cuts 2,000, Whirpool, Woolworth and International Paper announce large layoffs, MCI WorldCom cuts 2,500 jobs, Nabisco cuts 3,100 jobs and closes plants, Pioneer Standard cuts staff, Packard Bell lays off 1,000, AST Research cuts jobs, Kodak cuts 10,000 jobs, Goodrich to close 4 plants, Advance Lighting cuts 2220 jobs and closes a plant, Scrabble is set to C-L-O-S-E factory, Weirton Steel idles blast furnace, Mr Gasket elminates jobs and outsources production, Raytheon cuts 14,000 jobs, Kellogg cuts 525 salaried workers and 240 temporary workers, LSI Logic cuts 1,200 jobs, Liz Claiborne cuts 400 jobs can shuts down stores, Just Closeouts closing all stores, Huffy cuts 1,000 jobs and closed USA plant, Texas Instruments cuts 3,500 jobs, Gateway cuts 300 workers, TRW cuts 7,500 jobs, Stanley Works lays off 5000, PERSONAL BANKRUPTCIES JUMPED 19% to 1.34 MILLION-LOW PAYING JOBS WON'T RESCUE POOR, BUSINESS FAILURES SURGED 16% totaling 83,384 businesses failing, Cadence cuts 180 engineers, Siemens worldwide cuts 60,000 jobs, BF Goodrich closes down Corporate Headquarters in Akron, Ohio, BP America closes down corporate headquarters in Cleveland Ohio, Reliance Electric is gone after buyout by Rockwell International,......there were more cuts too in 1998 during the so called statistical prosperity.[/SIZE]

When i get time i will look them all up.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:52 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,421 times
I was one of those Machinists and you havent a clue. I watched as the Unions told us to go to the polls and pull the democratice ticket. Then I watched as those democrats went to Washington and put the American worker up on a table and carved him up like a thanksgiving day turkey. They came home with their campaign coffers lined and some pork to build roads but those jobs are temporary and transient. This crap has been going on for 35 years son, blaming bush just shows your ignorance of reality

Old 08-30-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Well you sure know different people than I do. Because most of the people I know and about which I wrote are honest, hard working, sensible people who believed that because they got up and went to work every day, paid their bills, raised good families and played by the rules, they were "safe" and "successful." They worked at auto plants, they were computer programmers, they were secretaries for local companies, they were machinist, they were engineers, they were real estate salespeople, they were people just like you and I. They owned modest homes and had modest dreams....the same dreams most of us hold dear. But when the last factory in the county closes down and moves to China, when the computer jobs are sent to India, when the machinist jobs are sent to Poland, and when people are so desperate because they can't sale their houses that they raffle them off, there isn't much they can do to stop the downhill slide. I know that you want to believe that these people are having these problems because of things they did wrong. If you can make yourself believe that then you can feel safer and can convince yourself that you still control your own destiny and that this can't happen to you. They use to believe that too.
You know why all these jobs are moving its because they are being taxed to death. If obama starts puting all these new taxes on the companys that are left they also will pick up and move.

I ran my own company for years i would make $80000 a year but by the time i paid my.
1. Fed. tax
2. State tax
3. Local tax
4. Tool tax
5. Inventory tax
6. Employees.
7.Property tax.
So On and So On

I was left with about $23000 and you even wonder why 60% of all new businness in america fail with in 6 months.

Mark my words if obama starts taxing all these companys and oil companys mexico will have to build a fence to keep americans out of mexico.

Last edited by james2009; 08-30-2008 at 10:25 PM..

Old 08-30-2008, 10:18 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,234 times
Seems that unemployment went up when the Democrats took over the House and Senate.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:21 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
You know why all these jobs are moving its because they are being taxed to death. If obama starts puting all these new taxes on the companys that are left they also will pick up and move.

I ran my own company for years i would make $80000 a year but by the time i paid my.
1. Fed. tax
2. State tax
3. Local tax
4. Tool tax
5. Inventory tax
6. Employees.
7.Property tax.
So On and So On

I was left with about $23000 and you even wonder why 60% of all new businness in america fail with in 6 mouths.

Mark my words if obama starts taxing all these companys and oil companys mexico will have to build a fence to keep americans out of mexico.
Obama says under his plan most Americans will see their taxes go down. The companies that move jobs overseas will get their tax advantages taken away.
Tax advantages will go to business that create jobs in the US. That includes small businesses and new startups, where the innovation and the jobs usually come from.

Obama '08

Old 08-30-2008, 10:22 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
I was one of those Machinists and you havent a clue. I watched as the Unions told us to go to the polls and pull the democratice ticket. Then I watched as those democrats went to Washington and put the American worker up on a table and carved him up like a thanksgiving day turkey. They came home with their campaign coffers lined and some pork to build roads but those jobs are temporary and transient. This crap has been going on for 35 years son, blaming bush just shows your ignorance of reality
I guess everyones reality is different!
I have seen business after business close up since '00
I have seen us WASTE countless BILLIONS of $ on a war that should have been over a long time ago!
I have seen more people without afordable medical insurance.
I have seen the dollar at historic lows (no one wants it).
I have seen fuel at historic highs...

I HAVE SEEN ENOUGH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections