Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:15 AM

140 posts, read 293,971 times

Advertisements

“This is not a campaign for president of the United States, this is a movement to change the world,” Maryland Congressman Elijah Cummings said as he introduced Obama last week in Baltimore. “You do not get 13,000 people in this auditorium with a campaign.”

As over the top as it may have sounded, Cummings’ sentiments weren’t all that unusual.

Because when it comes to Obama, hyperbole seems to be the rule, not the exception.

His charms seem tough to resist, even for some of Hollywood’s biggest names.

“He walks into a room and you want to follow him somewhere, anywhere,” George Clooney told talk show host Charlie Rose.

“I’ll do whatever he says to do,” actress Halle Berry said to the Philadelphia Daily News. “I’ll collect paper cups off the ground to make his pathway clear.”

Welcome to the cult of Barack Obama.

Many talented politicians attract devoted throngs — but with Obama, the fervency of his following borders on the messianic, and that phenomenon has only increased in recent weeks as Obama has scored 10 consecutive primary and caucus victories over New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, surged into the lead in the delegate count, and claimed the mantle of front-runner for the Democratic nomination.

The true believers can “Obama-ize” just about anything. Knitters for Obama crochet for him, Runners for Obama jog for him, and Hold ‘Em Barack, well, they bet on him.

In Chicago, a recent art exhibit showed works depicting the candidate on canvas, paper and even in animated videos.

Some of the posters are vaguely reminiscent of classic Soviet propaganda, with a large, benevolent-looking Obama staring out from the paper. The artists plan to tour their “independent political propaganda campaign” across the country.

The Internet offers a revealing glimpse into the curious scope of Obamamania. One blog, titled “Is Barack Obama the Messiah?” cuts right to the chase.

A search on Flickr, a photo-sharing website, turns up pictures of Obama cakes, murals, etch-a-sketch drawings, and even tattoos.

On Etsy, a crafts auction website, you can buy Obama jewelry, paintings, and even a homemade Obama Valentine. The card shows a sketch of the candidate with the text, “I want to Barack your world.”

The magnitude of the Obama movement has reached such Elvis-like proportions that even the candidate seems to be trying to tone things down.

http://patdollard.com/2008/02/cult-o...he-says-to-do/ Its official. This presidential race is getting nuttier than a fruitcake.

Welcome to the cult of personality...

Living Colour-Cult Of Personality

YouTube - Living Colour-Cult Of Personality

Cult Of Hussein - Halle Berry Would “Do Whatever He Says To Do” - Investor's Iraq Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 11:16 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Your fear is consuming your intellect.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:18 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,299 times
Yep it is a cult and like most cults they will drink their version of the "Jim Jones" Cool-Aid and fade away. If this man or Hillary wins, this Country is in for huge trouble.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:23 AM

407 posts, read 800,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Yep it is a cult and like most cults they will drink their version of the "Jim Jones" Cool-Aid and fade away. If this man or Hillary wins, this Country is in for huge trouble.
Right you are but the facts are that we will also be in trouble with McCain.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:24 AM

699 posts, read 2,236,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
“This is not a campaign for president of the United States, this is a movement to change the world,” Maryland Congressman Elijah Cummings said as he introduced Obama last week in Baltimore. “You do not get 13,000 people in this auditorium with a campaign.”

As over the top as it may have sounded, Cummings’ sentiments weren’t all that unusual.

Because when it comes to Obama, hyperbole seems to be the rule, not the exception.

His charms seem tough to resist, even for some of Hollywood’s biggest names.

“He walks into a room and you want to follow him somewhere, anywhere,” George Clooney told talk show host Charlie Rose.

“I’ll do whatever he says to do,” actress Halle Berry said to the Philadelphia Daily News. “I’ll collect paper cups off the ground to make his pathway clear.”

Welcome to the cult of Barack Obama.

Many talented politicians attract devoted throngs — but with Obama, the fervency of his following borders on the messianic, and that phenomenon has only increased in recent weeks as Obama has scored 10 consecutive primary and caucus victories over New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, surged into the lead in the delegate count, and claimed the mantle of front-runner for the Democratic nomination.

The true believers can “Obama-ize” just about anything. Knitters for Obama crochet for him, Runners for Obama jog for him, and Hold ‘Em Barack, well, they bet on him.

In Chicago, a recent art exhibit showed works depicting the candidate on canvas, paper and even in animated videos.

Some of the posters are vaguely reminiscent of classic Soviet propaganda, with a large, benevolent-looking Obama staring out from the paper. The artists plan to tour their “independent political propaganda campaign” across the country.

The Internet offers a revealing glimpse into the curious scope of Obamamania. One blog, titled “Is Barack Obama the Messiah?” cuts right to the chase.

A search on Flickr, a photo-sharing website, turns up pictures of Obama cakes, murals, etch-a-sketch drawings, and even tattoos.

On Etsy, a crafts auction website, you can buy Obama jewelry, paintings, and even a homemade Obama Valentine. The card shows a sketch of the candidate with the text, “I want to Barack your world.”

The magnitude of the Obama movement has reached such Elvis-like proportions that even the candidate seems to be trying to tone things down.

http://patdollard.com/2008/02/cult-o...he-says-to-do/ Its official. This presidential race is getting nuttier than a fruitcake.

Welcome to the cult of personality...

Living Colour-Cult Of Personality

YouTube - Living Colour-Cult Of Personality

Cult Of Hussein - Halle Berry Would “Do Whatever He Says To Do” - Investor's Iraq Forum
Haha, I like how you even copied the Living Colour - Cult of Personality link with the rest of the post from a different message board.

At least you put a link this time to show where you copied the whole thread from.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post
Right you are but the facts are that we will also be in trouble with McCain.
Unfortunately I think you're right but I'm hoping he at least picks a Conservative VP and the Congress goes back to the Republicans so at least he'll have some checks on him.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:26 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Unfortunately I think you're right but I'm hoping he at least picks a Conservative VP and the Congress goes back to the Republicans so at least he'll have some checks on him.
I predict you're going to be very unhappy in November.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I predict you're going to be very unhappy in November.
Well ya never know and I'm not one to quit so Here's hoping.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:34 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,257 times
Quote:
2008 is going to make 2006 look tame.

Republicans are going to get crushed this fall. And they know it.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:35 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,427 times
Be careful Johnny Rockets

The Obama followers wont allow you to post anything bad about him and accuse your of fear mongering when in fact they have plastered this entire section with their own fear type messages.

Might as well not quote anyone because his followers then will cut that person down personally in an attempt to destroy anything that will hurt their chances.

Is this what the liberal party is all about, it sure seems that way. For some reason the lib party goes after anyone with an axe to disprove or cut them down in anyway they can.

Do you all feel better now? Do you still need your hands held?

We know McCain and we know Hillary but for some reason none of us know much about Obama? What are they hiding and why are we not allowed to ask about him and his life? They are afraid of something I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections