Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:44 PM

195 posts, read 515,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2Westchester View Post
It IS ironic that a hurricane targeting New Orleans is disrupting the GOP convention.

It reminds everyone of BUSH's ethnic cleansing there.
Please. sad that people didn't listen to the warnings and leave. Then it beomes the responsibility of Bush to save everyone. This is why Obama is so popular. You don't do anything for yourself and the government will take care of everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 01:45 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,964 times
I'm not sure why McCain has to go there either. I know Obama is talking to peple as well. I would agree he has no authority there and it does just look like a polictal stand. I do agree they need to either put their cobvention on hold or just get the busniess done with McCain and Palin and close it down. For McCain to say he needs to go to Mississippi is silly. Bush is the president and he isn't going. They are playing this really carefully because of the way Bush handled the Katrina thing they in no way want to look unfeeling. I get that but please don't use the camera to make yourself look presidenal when you don;t need to be there. Lets face it I watched Obama because I support him but that convention didn't need to last 4 days and neither does theres. THey should show respect for the people by not partying because they are goverment officals but do the busieness and get out. Gustav isn't the only Hurricane on the burner hanna is there to.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:48 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,581,229 times
McCain going down to Missisppi does look like a political stunt. Thats not to say he doesnt genuinly care what happens to the people but it is in part politics.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:52 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
I think this is a blessing in some ways for the Republicans.

1) They get a do-over for the Katrina mess, and if they can line it up to look like the federal government is all over this crisis, they look good.

2) There is no way they could compete with the 85K fireworks-laden superspeech that capped of the democratic convention; with this diversion, they can explain away their (by comparison) boring and somber convention. They'll just say they "toned it down" because of the Gustav crisis.

So, it kinda might work for them.

However, there are people staying in NO as you can clearly see on the news... and, some places will flood even if it's a just tropical storm. So the media will get its side-by-side shots of people stranded on their rooftops while the republicans are giving speeches and cheering.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:55 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,964 times
In Obama words " It isn't that John McCain doesn't care He doesn't get it" I'm not saying he doesn't care everyone does but he doesn't need to be there and if he wasn't running for office he wouldn't go. Again Obama chooses the best choice. Call people stay informed but show respect by not dragging your campaign to a place it doesn't need to be right now.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:57 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,660,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Um, if y'all think God is using Gustav as some sort of "judgment," does that mean He's sending it back to Louisiana because they voted overwhelmingly for Obama? The GOP convention is thousands of miles away from the hurricane.

Wait a minute -- Obama's your new "messiah." Why isn't he getting his butt down there to stretch out his hand and calm the waters?
Oh! Such an unintelligent comment! Have you nothing more educated to post?

God has a funny way of punishing people sometimes!

Old 08-31-2008, 01:59 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,436 times
I think the republicans can do this right and they won't be wasting $50M on a hollywood set for a 30 minute speech.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:00 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,660,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
let's see how different your reaction is when KING OBAMA does the same thing?
it was different when King OBAMA shut down the Interstate system for his party last week for 5 hours and all the exrta security for his sorry ass.
all the touting he and the DNC did they will NOT LEAVE a FOOT PRINT in Denver
and now the land fills there are full of his signs left behind
good grief!
give it a rest

Old 08-31-2008, 02:01 PM

503 posts, read 937,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2Westchester View Post
It IS ironic that a hurricane targeting New Orleans is disrupting the GOP convention.

It reminds everyone of BUSH's ethnic cleansing there.

Oh yes, because bush had a deal with God to send a hurricane and then leave blacks stranded down there. Give me a break you racist.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:03 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,950,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
At least this time NO is being evacuated. Unlike the first time.
Thank heavens for those in the area that it's an election year....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections