U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:14 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,111,394 times

Advertisements

Ok enough garbage about either one.

Let's post good reasons why you should vote for Obama or McCain.
Voting for Obama because he's not Republican isn't positive or a good reason to vote for the guy. Voting for McCain because of his good looks isn't a good reason either.

Let's post at least 1 good reason/qualification for either one w/out smearing the other. Let's also not try to duplicate the answers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 02:10 AM

19,613 posts, read 34,617,116 times
McCain:

-Second Amendment (gun rights) protection
-A majority of Americans are religious (abortion is a big issue here)
-He is liberal, but not as much as Obama
-He is on record for trying to stop earmarks, and for trying to reform the lending industry

Obama:
-Don't know much about Obama. Sorry.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:05 AM

2,660 posts, read 2,803,989 times
McCain:
- He's kinda humorous
- Had a fun SNL skit a while back
- His running ma... nevermind, lol

Obama:
- Long Term thinking (energy plans, education)
- Diplomat (talk first, war last)
- Judgment - he doesn't rush to judgment
- His Tax plans I like, though who knows if they'll happen (depending on bailout)
- He's got me believing he's going into this with the right priorities (to improve America), and he's obviously intelligent, and Intelligence + Good intentions = Favorable Outcome for America
- an Obama presidency will have kids thinking again "Some day, I want to be president", rather than a baseball player, lawyer, doctor, etc. I feel he's a leader that will make us proud.
- Equal pay for equal work
- I'm pro-choice, so is Obama

Quote:
In fact, the professional way he's conducted his campaign and the deft organization he's put together, which has outmaneuvered Clinton, is impressive. We believe Obama would bring the same professionalism to the executive branch of government since he isn't tied into lobbyists and special interests.
I don't recall where this came from - but it echoes the same feeling I had about his campaign since the primaries

Quote:
"Watching him, I really get a sense he could be the next president," Marino said after the meeting. "I get a sense of integrity and honesty from him."
I've read about that same reaction a lot - from people that have met him.

- Obama taught constitutional law

Old 09-26-2008, 05:30 AM

27,094 posts, read 44,742,839 times
McCain: experience, judgments skills, COUNTRY FIRST!, hero, values, respect, knowledge, reach out to others to get the work done, maverick, etc.

<mod cut- pay attention to what the OP asked for please......>

McCain/Palin '08!!!!!

Last edited by BobKovacs; 10-21-2008 at 01:36 PM..

Old 09-26-2008, 05:42 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,077,531 times
I will stick to the original request and post only positive:
Obama-fresh, new energy so desperately needed. Great choice of a running mate. Concerned about finding a just way to get out of Iraq. Looking into employment sources for energy here.
McCain-Served in Vietnam.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:27 AM

2,054 posts, read 5,655,767 times
Obama: During this financial crisis, it was refreshing to hear how in control he is, and I believe that's the kind of leadership we deserve. Even though he lacks the "experience", I think he has the smarts to be able to do a great job. He understands the problems and while I don't think he will solve most of them, he gets the big picture.

McCain: I like his wife and the humanitarian work she does. Unfortunately, I think McCain sold himself out when he picked his running mate and I lost some respect for him. I think he served our country well. His flip flopping attitude during the past few weeks gives us a glimpse into what kind of leadership we can expect from him. I just don't think we should go down that road again.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 12,966 times
McCain - Rapid and correct response to crisis e.g. Russia attacking Georgia.
Good judgement. The Democratic former Govenor of Louisana said Ronald Reagan would pass up other Senators to seek out McCain for advice.
He understands you cannot raise any taxes during a depression (Pres Hoover did not and turned that depression into the Great Depression).
Obama - Rapid response to crisis is to follow McCains example. He has not done so with this current financial crisis and will follow instead the example set by Pres Hoover.
Has an amazing ability to instill blind faith in his followers. They do not let facts or truth sway them. He is a charismatic leader with an innovative aura and a personal magnetic gift, who promotes a specific doctrine of "hope" holds an exceptional type of power which sets aside the usage's of normal political life and assumes instead those of demagoguery, dictatorship, or revolution, which induces men's whole hearted devotion to him through a blind and fanatical trust and an unrestrained and uncritical faith. This by the way in psychology is also the definition of a cult leader.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:17 PM

4,172 posts, read 6,475,871 times
<mod cut- please follow the OP's request- positives only>

Obama:
- has much better judgement
- able to surround himself with good people - Biden for example
- shows he can run a far better campaign than McCain. He beat Clinton also and this is not easy. Has sufficient experience
- is generally more positive than McCain
- is more pro-middle calls
- will be waaay better fof the country's image abroad. This has serious economic consequences in case of another international incident. If McCain gets elected, not many countries will help us after the arrogance of Bush years

Last edited by BobKovacs; 10-21-2008 at 02:50 PM..

Old 10-21-2008, 01:19 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,184,919 times
Obama: I think he truly cares.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:31 PM

4,172 posts, read 6,475,871 times
renriq02:
- jugdement does not come from experience. For example, Obama was against the Iraqi war
- I could throw many of McCain's associates into the mix of savoury characters - Rick Davis, gambling friends, etc. We will not even get started about witchcraft / Muthee etc or secessionists.
- running a campaign is a microsocm of one's ability to manage things. McCain has failed miserably. He simply does not inspire confidence
- "lying is not positive" - agree - someone tell that to McCain
- re HAMAS, you are stretching. I was talking about most of the sane world. Look at Pew polls - but I guess you do not believe in real data unless it is from FOX
- countries will work with us but there will be a difference. Bush Senior was great at it. Bush Jr and Rumsfeld believed we had too much power and now we are paying for the economic consequences of shock and awe. Do you think there is really more than US and UK in the "coalation of the willing" - I am not talking # of countries but the actual percentage of non-US and non-UK soldiers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections