Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:15 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,563,006 times

Advertisements

i fear that when it was hillary vs obama it was easy when it was obama vs mccain it was easy. but personality, the public likes palin.
shes a cutie. i fear the worst. the public likes shiny toys. issues are quickly forgotten. not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 12:15 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,476,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
It's very interesting to vote based on what you feel like is reality.
If you're judging the Governor by your measure of how comfortable she "looks" with Senator McCain's family (people she's known for about three days)...then I guess you're right. Obama's your man. Politicians may be good actors but that's a new one and probably somebody forgot to think of it.

Google OBAMA speech writers and you will see the names of them. You will also see pieces about controversies over plagiarism with him. By the way, here's a quote from Ted Sorenson one of Kennedy's speech writers. You may have heard one of his little lines:

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."

It has been said:

Speech writers wield untold power among voters, and Sorensen is considered one of the modern day best.

And guess what. He's credited for helping Obama also. How much? I don't know.

YES Biden and OBAMA are very comfortable with each other. Biden voted against your financial future by voting for a Bankruptcy bill in 2005 making it difficult for citizens to file for relief and every time you pay your bill think of him when you see predatory interest. Credit Card and Financial Institutions are his constituents in Delaware.

And then, funny thing, Obama said IN HIS SPEECH "now is the time to reform bankruptcy laws"

LOL I bet the buddies had a good laugh at that at your expense wink wink. Biden was the only candidate to vote for it and the two of them know the public doesnt bother to check voting records. They usually just go on ....well...you know...
Biden has also been accused of plagiarism! 2 times I think I read.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:18 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,476,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i fear that when it was hillary vs obama it was easy when it was obama vs mccain it was easy. but personality, the public likes palin.
shes a cutie. i fear the worst. the public likes shiny toys. issues are quickly forgotten. not good.
She might be shiny but she also packs a wack of a punch! Google her she is accomplished in areas all politicians should be!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:19 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,711,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
She might be shiny but she also packs a wack of a punch! Google her she is accomplished in areas all politicians should be!
Just last week people were like "poor little Palin, when is she just going to drop out and go back to Alaska."

I dont think anyone is saying "poor little Palin" anymore.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:23 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,786,467 times
Default W h a t t h e d e v i l are you talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
You guys do realize the economy was fine, gas prices were low, and unemployment was lower than it was under Clinton at any point WHEN THE REPUBLICANS HAD TOTAL CONTROL. It wasn't until the Democrats came in that we faced this recession, unemployment skyrocketed, and gas prices have gone bananas. When Pelosi brought her crew to the Congress two years ago, thats when things went sour in Washington.
what are you talking about. Unemployment was lower, we had a balanced/surplus budget, no war, and GAS was .89 cents a gallon. Where you just born TODAY or something. Unemployment under Clinton was 3.06 percent at end of Term. Its nearly 6 percent now. The Stock market had a continuous growth. 7 years ago the Dow hit 111,111, I remember that number because it was kind of odd, today, its just about there again as of TODAY

Old 09-05-2008, 12:25 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,786,467 times
Quote:
Just last week people were like "poor little Palin, when is she just going to drop out and go back to Alaska."

I dont think anyone is saying "poor little Palin" anymore.
all based on the her ability to read a speech on a telepromter by a writter she has never met,

Old 09-05-2008, 04:40 AM

116 posts, read 266,167 times
Quote:
You guys do realize the economy was fine, gas prices were low, and unemployment was lower than it was under Clinton at any point WHEN THE REPUBLICANS HAD TOTAL CONTROL. It wasn't until the Democrats came in that we faced this recession, unemployment skyrocketed, and gas prices have gone bananas. When Pelosi brought her crew to the Congress two years ago, thats when things went sour in Washington.
Bingo. This is spot on. The people on the left will never admit it. The Dems are in total control and can override any veto of the President. They can do whatever they want to and the result is where we are at right now. This is why they have a lower approval rating than President Bush does. The Democratic controlled government currently has THE LOWEST APPROVAL RATING IN THE HISTORY OF OUR COUNTRY.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:46 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,472,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
all based on the her ability to read a speech on a telepromter by a writter she has never met,
They all used teleprompters...ever been to a convention, a debate or otherwise?

Old 09-05-2008, 04:52 AM

116 posts, read 266,167 times
For all of you that like to dismiss Palin's experience, what is Obama's experience? Outside of delivering great speeches and making you feel good, what ACTUAL experience does he have? I don't know of anything that he has actually done, none the less anything more than Palin has done. The only things I know he has done is :
  • Got a great deal on some real estate from a convicted criminal friend of his
  • Managed to have a very close friendship and business relationship with a convicted terrorist
  • Decided to stay with a church that created racial division
  • Has set a new record for the ability to pander to everyone he has ever met
  • Was wrong on the surge (which I just watched him admit on television.....finally)
  • Was a previous drug user..........which he fully admits in his book
I am 100% for anything different from Bush/Clinton/Bush, but we need to look at who can do the job. I need to see more debates, but at first look, I would rather see Palin as President than any of the four involved now. I like what she has done (which is much more than Obama has accomplished) I like what she stands for (which is backed up by her actions including bucking the cronies in the oil companies). Unfortunately it is McCain vs Obama and I am not jumping for joy over either one.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:48 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,076,182 times
Fresh Start, it sounds like your mind is made up.
IMHO Palin's speech was riddled with inaccuracies, and IMHO Obama offers a lot more to our country than what your post suggests.
btw
The surge has not completely succeeded in its stated goal, and what success *has* come about was not completely because of the surge.The Anbar Rising has a lot to do with new stability in Iraq along with the paid Sons of Iraq (http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/is_the_us_government_paying_factions_in.html - broken link). The situation is less violent, daily Baghdad life has improved, but sectarian groups are not reconciled; the "breathing room" that Iraq's government needed has not done much good in terms of political breakthrough for Maliki.
Obama purchased his home at market price, no "great deal."
Obama left his church (probably, at this point, for a variety of reasons)
I won't address your remarks on pandering or drugs, the grim reality is that there is plenty of both to go around in many political circles.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 09-05-2008 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: add something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections