Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:52 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Law Review does not go to the best or brightest student. It is a popularity contest. Ask anyone who went to a high end law school. It is more "man of the year" than "valedictorian"....
Where I went to law school, which qualifies under any definition as "high end" and did when I went there, the first years who made Law Review were chosen in a blinded process -- a certain percentage based on grades and a non-sucky writing sample, the rest based on a writing sample. Beyond that, I doubt that most of the first years knew who the bigwigs on law review were.

And as best as I can tell, most of the second years who were given editor slots as third years were very smart, some ridiculously so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 04:12 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,032,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
Where I went to law school, which qualifies under any definition as "high end" and did when I went there, the first years who made Law Review were chosen in a blinded process -- a certain percentage based on grades and a non-sucky writing sample, the rest based on a writing sample. Beyond that, I doubt that most of the first years knew who the bigwigs on law review were.

And as best as I can tell, most of the second years who were given editor slots as third years were very smart, some ridiculously so.
Just curious. Did the pres of your law review ever contribute? Seems there is nothing that Obama wrote during his time. Don't you find that odd?

Old 02-16-2009, 05:15 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
Just curious. Did the pres of your law review ever contribute? Seems there is nothing that Obama wrote during his time. Don't you find that odd?
Perhaps I am mistaken but I have always been under the impression that Law Review editors solicit and edit manuscripts submitted for publication, it isn't their role to write for the review.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Perhaps I am mistaken but I have always been under the impression that Law Review editors solicit and edit manuscripts submitted for publication, it isn't their role to write for the review.
Well, you may be right. I didn't go to law school and don't know...although I think Susan Estrich (who was a fromer HLR editor) said she found that very odd if he didn't even author a note.

Anyway...what about his 2nd year? Nothing published.

I understand why people are concerned.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:11 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
If you don't know anything about a subject, why not either research it or shut up about it.
You just look stupid and vindictive otherwise.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:17 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
Because they aren't public records? I can't just call up your alma mater (assuming you went to college) and get your transcript. This is no different.
Oxy & Columbia are private too ...

I still want to see Wonderboy's undoctored Champagne Brigade records.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:20 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Oh brother people ... getting on the HLR is easily googled ...

Harvard Law Review - Membership Selection

When I worked for 2 law schools, the law reviews published articles from other authors at other law schools. Student notes or articles aren't the crux of the publication. Being published in a reputable law review, Harvard being the big one, gets people tenured on their law faculties. Obama, as president, participated in the SELECTION of articles to be published in the law review, so it's not unusual for a law review president or editor not to be published in the law review. He may have had to write onto the review, but that article wasn't necessarily published.

But here's one that politico claims is a "lost article", which is just silliness ... it was published. Politico obviously hasn't a clue about how a law school publication works.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12705.html

Old 02-18-2009, 12:06 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
What would LSAT and Columbia law grades reveal? What a reach for the sour grapes crowd.

The LSAT is not a reliable indicator of law school success, success as a lawyer, or suitability to be President. Also, law school grades can be deceptively low.

I think you conservatives better spend more time trying to figure out why you choose to be on the wrong side of the political argument, and why your party has been an utter failure since 2000. Your leader, the former president village idiot, is the reason why the economy of this country is in a free fall now. You republicans have no answers, don't know the questions, and certainly have not been able to come up with solutions.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:57 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,263,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
What would LSAT and Columbia law grades reveal? What a reach for the sour grapes crowd.

The LSAT is not a reliable indicator of law school success, success as a lawyer, or suitability to be President. Also, law school grades can be deceptively low.

I think you conservatives better spend more time trying to figure out why you choose to be on the wrong side of the political argument, and why your party has been an utter failure since 2000. Your leader, the former president village idiot, is the reason why the economy of this country is in a free fall now. You republicans have no answers, don't know the questions, and certainly have not been able to come up with solutions.
lsat scores have a stronger correlation with law school success than college gpa does. that's why most law schools from TTT to elite ones weigh lsat more than the UG gpa for admission purposes. success as a lawyer is much different as law school doesn't prepare you to be a lawyer, just train you to reason/think like one. BO though making president of law review is as much a political as it is academic, but making the cut to be on law review is a testament to his writing and intellectual ability. also he graduated magna *** laude, which has been confirmed by harvard law.

regardless, when it comes to academic prowess i think bill clinton does a number on bo. phi beta kappa at georgetown sfs, rhodes scholar, YLS. that is even more impressive, IMO.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If you don't know anything about a subject, why not either research it or shut up about it.
You just look stupid and vindictive otherwise.
Okay, I'll play.

I looked a bit and found the Susan Estrich tidbit about her opinion of Barry's lack of authorship on the HLR.

I saw this thread and asked if someone else knew more about this.

See, I get to do that kind of thing. Even though it really, really makes lefties like you very, very, very, very angry.

Lefties really have a problem with anyone questioning Barry. Wonder why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections