Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:44 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,974,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I LIVED there -- I HEARD it. And every time I call a relative back home, they say a politician has been in town promising funds to help attract steel back. It's pathetic. I have a cousin who loves welding and I told him they are CRYING for welders down here and he could stay with me until he saved up enough money for a place of his own. Nope, he doesn't want to move.

But, here you go, from Obama's own webpage.

"Obama will create an Advanced Manufacturing Fund to identify and invest in the most compelling advanced manufacturing strategies. Double Funding for the Manufacturing Extension Partnership: The Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) works with manufacturers across the country to improve efficiency, implement new technology and strengthen company growth."

I've heard him on the stump, promising that manufacturing jobs will return to the Rust Belt. They won't. You can't FORCE companies to go to places with limited vocational education, high taxes, and UNIONS. Why would they pay $25 an hour for union machinists when they can pay $15-20 in a Sun Belt state?

Promoting manufacturing here in the US is a good thing. There are no "promises" in your Obama quote. Other than the promise to encourage more manufacturing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
A lot of the statistics you mentioned come from the dang illegals. That is a drawback. Otherwise, we've got the S-CHIP program for kids' health care, like every other state. We just have so many dang "anchor babies."

And alot of Texas's growth and cheap living come from illegals. They build our homes, serve our food, fix our cars, and clean our places of business. For barely a livable wage.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:51 PM

You can cut the crap. I'm a veteran too. He's a big boy. 43 year olds take responsiblity for themselves. Your POW card doesn't get you out of being a good father.

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
This is not a post about distracting political conversations, like "baby momma" or another teen pregnancy in society. This is not about democrat vs. republican -- liberal vs. conservative, more a serious question of where the current stand is on the low income families in America.

Don't know about anyone else, but I had always been raised to consider those with less than what we have. I raise my children the same, to do what you can to help, though, knowing it is never enough, while trying to manage our own budget.

I watched the DNC & some of the RNC. In my over-view, I heard too much about "the middle class" from both sides. The lack of "affordable" health care and other essentials of everyday living, etc. I live in a city deemed earlier this year as the 2nd poorest in the Nation. Unless you live hear, you don't know hard it is to over-come that kind of feeling of the place you have called "home" all your life.

Twenty-six-point-six persons are living below poverty in Buffalo, is there a candidate for President thinking not of middle class as being the bottom of the statistics and talking-points in speeches?

I've hardly heard either candidate talking about families living below poverty on their agendas of serious issues.
With Democrats, attention to such a segment is IMPLIED. Not so with Republicans who as a matter of course, SHUN this segment. Vote for Obama.

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
I sure wouldn't trust the candidate whose surrogates have been bashing community organizing during his convention, that's for sure.

I also found it interesting that according to research by Princeton political science professor Larry M. Bartels in his book “Unequal Democracy,” income inequality trended substantially upward under Republican presidents but slightly downward under Democrats during 1948-2007, thus accounting for the widening income gaps over all. The research also shows that when Democrats were in the White House during that same timer period, lower-income families experienced slightly faster income growth than higher-income families — which means that incomes were equalizing. In stark contrast, it also shows much faster income growth for the better-off when Republicans were in the White House — thus widening the gap in income.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:53 PM

789 posts, read 1,334,038 times
Quote:
What can they do? Seriously? I grew up in Western Pennsylvania (Rust Belt) and know of which you speak. I moved. It broke my parents' hearts but what can you do? I know that in Western Pennsylvania, they're STILL waiting for steel and manufacturing to come back, sigh. There aren't ANY more educational opportunities now than when I left in the mid-'80s. People either move like I did or work a couple of jobs to make ends meet. They don't seem to want to change.

But Dem. politicians go there every four years promising that steel and manufacturing jobs will come back. And this year, the Dem. goes and talks about these people, saying they're bitter and clinging to their guns and religion. Geez, he's got some nerve!

I live in a Red State and it's thriving. I've never had trouble finding a job or furthering my education to change careers. We are constantly getting new industries and technology here. Our unemployment rate is just over 3 percent in my city and we actually have the problem that we can't grow unless we get more workers!

We're willing to drill our land, put up wind turbines and offer tax breaks for wind technology companies to come here. It's working. Our local vocational college is busy training folks to work at the wind farms. THIS is how you prosper and get your economy going -- not waiting around for a bygone time to come back. And it STINKS that the Dem. candidates keep promising folks up there that they'll make sure it will all come back again.
This topic couldn't get to the second page without someone bringing up the parties. Didn't you read the topic before posting?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:57 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,006,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
And alot of Texas's growth and cheap living come from illegals. They build our homes, serve our food, fix our cars, and clean our places of business. For barely a livable wage.
Maybe yours but I will NOT use illegal labor. Thank goodness it's not hard to avoid here in West Texas. In South Texas, the dang illegals would knock on your door for work and, if you didn't hire them, they'd steal your stuff.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
This topic couldn't get to the second page without someone bringing up the parties. Didn't you read the topic before posting?
So what? The Rust Belt is a Dem. hotbed and you can't get around it. What would help is if they got a good dose of Independent or at least Moderate politics. They need new thinking and leadership, not more government promises or handouts.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
From my very first post, the second sentence.....

Perhaps the question of poverty was wrong of me.
Of course it wasn't wrong. But, seriously, you need to move. It does stink sometimes being away from family and lifelong friends but you adjust.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:09 AM

789 posts, read 1,334,038 times
Quote:
So what? The Rust Belt is a Dem. hotbed and you can't get around it. What would help is if they got a good dose of Independent or at least Moderate politics. They need new thinking and leadership, not more government promises or handouts.
I guess people can't put their parties aside and have a conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections