Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:49 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,233,077 times

Advertisements

This is not a post about distracting political conversations, like "baby momma" or another teen pregnancy in society. This is not about democrat vs. republican -- liberal vs. conservative, more a serious question of where the current stand is on the low income families in America.

Don't know about anyone else, but I had always been raised to consider those with less than what we have. I raise my children the same, to do what you can to help, though, knowing it is never enough, while trying to manage our own budget.

I watched the DNC & some of the RNC. In my over-view, I heard too much about "the middle class" from both sides. The lack of "affordable" health care and other essentials of everyday living, etc. I live in a city deemed earlier this year as the 2nd poorest in the Nation. Unless you live hear, you don't know hard it is to over-come that kind of feeling of the place you have called "home" all your life.

Twenty-six-point-six persons are living below poverty in Buffalo, is there a candidate for President thinking not of middle class as being the bottom of the statistics and talking-points in speeches?

I've hardly heard either candidate talking about families living below poverty on their agendas of serious issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 10:53 PM

20,387 posts, read 20,027,480 times
I'm not sure we can expect a President to accomplish much there.

What are the NY state politicians or, more importantly, the elected officials in Buffalo really doing about the situation.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I'm not sure we can expect a President to accomplish much there.

What are the NY state politicians or, more importantly, the elected officials in Buffalo really doing about the situation.
The reason behind this post is of the Presidential candidates having a things on their agendas, though neither have taken poverty as serious as their other issues.

I realize as it gets narrowed down, it becomes a question of state/county/city, poverty knows no specific location though, it is in every town and city of every state. I wondered the willingness of Presidential candidates addressing it.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:12 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,051,347 times
What can they do? Seriously? I grew up in Western Pennsylvania (Rust Belt) and know of which you speak. I moved. It broke my parents' hearts but what can you do? I know that in Western Pennsylvania, they're STILL waiting for steel and manufacturing to come back, sigh. There aren't ANY more educational opportunities now than when I left in the mid-'80s. People either move like I did or work a couple of jobs to make ends meet. They don't seem to want to change.

But Dem. politicians go there every four years promising that steel and manufacturing jobs will come back. And this year, the Dem. goes and talks about these people, saying they're bitter and clinging to their guns and religion. Geez, he's got some nerve!

I live in a Red State and it's thriving. I've never had trouble finding a job or furthering my education to change careers. We are constantly getting new industries and technology here. Our unemployment rate is just over 3 percent in my city and we actually have the problem that we can't grow unless we get more workers!

We're willing to drill our land, put up wind turbines and offer tax breaks for wind technology companies to come here. It's working. Our local vocational college is busy training folks to work at the wind farms. THIS is how you prosper and get your economy going -- not waiting around for a bygone time to come back. And it STINKS that the Dem. candidates keep promising folks up there that they'll make sure it will all come back again.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:21 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,890,073 times
One of the differences in the tax plans between obama and McCain come down to this group of people. As a genral rule low income wage earners dont pay any income taxes. With the earned income credit and a couple of children they pay in a couple thousand in fed and state income tax and get back over twice that. Both tax plans want to "decrease" their tax burden (which is a ridiculous way of saying tax high wage earners more and redistribute those tax revenues to these low income earners who pay no income tax). Mccain would decrese there tax burden (sheesh) by $300 and obama $1200. There are many programs in place to help low income families with food, housing, job training, college tuition, WIC, medicaide. I dont think they need another $300 let alone $1200 dollars of hardworking tax payers money.

enough is enough

Old 09-04-2008, 11:21 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,016,009 times
"But Dem. politicians go there every four years promising that steel and manufacturing jobs will come back."

Could you be more specific here? What Dems have said this? Your source?

I find this extremely hard to believe.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:26 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,016,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
What can they do? Seriously? I grew up in Western Pennsylvania (Rust Belt) and know of which you speak. I moved. It broke my parents' hearts but what can you do? I know that in Western Pennsylvania, they're STILL waiting for steel and manufacturing to come back, sigh. There aren't ANY more educational opportunities now than when I left in the mid-'80s. People either move like I did or work a couple of jobs to make ends meet. They don't seem to want to change.

But Dem. politicians go there every four years promising that steel and manufacturing jobs will come back. And this year, the Dem. goes and talks about these people, saying they're bitter and clinging to their guns and religion. Geez, he's got some nerve!

I live in a Red State and it's thriving. I've never had trouble finding a job or furthering my education to change careers. We are constantly getting new industries and technology here. Our unemployment rate is just over 3 percent in my city and we actually have the problem that we can't grow unless we get more workers!

We're willing to drill our land, put up wind turbines and offer tax breaks for wind technology companies to come here. It's working. Our local vocational college is busy training folks to work at the wind farms. THIS is how you prosper and get your economy going -- not waiting around for a bygone time to come back. And it STINKS that the Dem. candidates keep promising folks up there that they'll make sure it will all come back again.

I live in Texas too. Texas has the highest number of children without medical insurance. Texan's income is below the national average. Major metropolitan areas have higher than average crime rates. The divorce and teen pregnancy rates are high.

But I do agree it's easy to get a job.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
"But Dem. politicians go there every four years promising that steel and manufacturing jobs will come back."

Could you be more specific here? What Dems have said this? Your source?

I find this extremely hard to believe.
I LIVED there -- I HEARD it. And every time I call a relative back home, they say a politician has been in town promising funds to help attract steel back. It's pathetic. I have a cousin who loves welding and I told him they are CRYING for welders down here and he could stay with me until he saved up enough money for a place of his own. Nope, he doesn't want to move.

But, here you go, from Obama's own webpage.

"Obama will create an Advanced Manufacturing Fund to identify and invest in the most compelling advanced manufacturing strategies. Double Funding for the Manufacturing Extension Partnership: The Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) works with manufacturers across the country to improve efficiency, implement new technology and strengthen company growth."

I've heard him on the stump, promising that manufacturing jobs will return to the Rust Belt. They won't. You can't FORCE companies to go to places with limited vocational education, high taxes, and UNIONS. Why would they pay $25 an hour for union machinists when they can pay $15-20 in a Sun Belt state?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I live in Texas too. Texas has the highest number of children without medical insurance. Texan's income is below the national average. Major metropolitan areas have higher than average crime rates. The divorce and teen pregnancy rates are high.

But I do agree it's easy to get a job.
A lot of the statistics you mentioned come from the dang illegals. That is a drawback. Otherwise, we've got the S-CHIP program for kids' health care, like every other state. We just have so many dang "anchor babies."

Old 09-04-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post

From my very first post, the second sentence.....

Quote:
This is not about democrat vs. republican -- liberal vs. conservative
Perhaps the question of poverty was wrong of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections