Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 06:45 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times

Advertisements

I think McCain did a good job on his speech. I thought that his delivery was much improved over some of the other speeches he has given. Not everyone is a good public speaker. that doesn't mean that they cannot be a good leader. and just because some is a good speaker, doesn't mean that they will be a good leader.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:46 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
No, it was not a spectacular speech. Very tired-sounding. Nothing new.

Palin was the star of this convention, not Johnny Mac. And I say that as someone who's not voting for either major party.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:47 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
All the "What a great speech posts" are apparently with the great speech itself, safely tucked away out of sight, out of mind.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:00 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,828,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'll be honest, and say that I didn't get to watch McCain's speech last night, but I'm a bit concerned here. The morning after Sarah Palin's speech there were dozens (hundreds?) of threads about how great her speech was- yet this morning, I've yet to see one proclaiming how wonderful McCain's speech was. I went back a few pages and found a few "the speech was pretty good" comments, but that's it. So tell me- was the speech really that uninspiring, or is it just too early yet?
It was a McCain speech. If you were expecting some great, "I Have a Dream" type moment you were likely the only one

Old 09-05-2008, 07:08 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Arab View Post
I watched most of the speech. I give it a C+ at best. In my opinion, the message was a "little" better than Obama's. However, the delivery was a D-.
I would of liked for him to go into details (I know he touched on them, which is more than what Obama said in his speech) how he would take on the real issues, he, like Obama, also didn't mention one huge issue this country is facing, illegal Immigration.

I've always believed with all things going on with the GOP, our next president will be a Dem. The GOP have done everything in their power to give it to them. The only way the GOP might get more votes, is if they do well in the debates, which I honestly don't see that happening (I hope I'm wrong), and exposing Obama to the public.

And with that said, I maintain my stance, McCain would be a better leader than Obama. But if Obama is elected, I hope for our sake, he apply what he has promised us.

Just my opinion

Neither one will touch this subject because neither one knows how to fix it. It is a huge problem and just keeps getting bigger.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:11 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
Quote:
I'll be honest, and say that I didn't get to watch McCain's speech last night, but I'm a bit concerned here. The morning after Sarah Palin's speech there were dozens (hundreds?) of threads about how great her speech was- yet this morning, I've yet to see one proclaiming how wonderful McCain's speech was. I went back a few pages and found a few "the speech was pretty good" comments, but that's it. So tell me- was the speech really that uninspiring, or is it just too early yet?
McCain has never given great speeches. We need a leader not a speech giver.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:26 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
So tell me- was the speech really that uninspiring, or is it just too early yet?
I'll just start off by saying that I didn't think it was as bad as I thought It'd be. McCain just doesn't inspire the way some do. I wish he had Palin's or Obama's chrisma.

The green background was hideous. I did like the way he handled those nutjobs from Code Pink. He dispelled it as static and threw in some humor about "Americans just want us to stop yelling at each other." I thought that was pretty good.

But he provided a steady and straight-up speech that discussed his strengths and differences with his opponent while his adversaries say that all he did was embellish his heroic past and that he chanted further bipartisanship.

He addressed the need to deal with the countries many pitfalls, and yes, the word "Change" needs to be used or "Borrowed" from Obama, but he obviously has to describe a different way of getting there. He's not gonna sit back and promise us what we want to hear. That the land of Milk and Honey are at hand just because America is Different now and in the favor because the W Bush types are gone. McCain says that we have to get off our ass and roll up our sleeves and work hard and dilligent to achieve the success that he has. Many don't like to hear that. Sorry.

I, in fact, was impressed by his experience and the situation he and his dad were in in Vietnam. I don't think he needs to run for President and that he really is a bit old to do it, but he's doing it because we need someone who is so over-the-top experienced and dedicated the the US of A like he is. We should be priviledged to have him as a candidate.

He's not one to want to boast about his accomplishments and his past experience. But once he does in the spirit of contrasting to his opponent, he gets jumped on.

I'm more interested in what he does than what he says. We may or may not get to find out what that will be.

I thought he did just about what Obama did, but after Palin, he pailed in comparison.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:37 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I think McCain did a good job on his speech. I thought that his delivery was much improved over some of the other speeches he has given. Not everyone is a good public speaker. that doesn't mean that they cannot be a good leader. and just because some is a good speaker, doesn't mean that they will be a good leader.

Agreed. Oration is not McCain's forte. Palin and Obama have a gift, let it go at that. The MTV generation, sadly, must be entertained and "wowed" to give any credence to another human being. Really unfortunate very few people have the ability to think for themselves. It is a crippling disability that far too many possess. Is so much easier to criticize and tear down. Am sure it will only get worse as November approaches.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:40 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Agreed. Oration is not McCain's forte. Palin and Obama have a gift, let it go at that. The MTV generation, sadly, must be entertained and "wowed" to give any credence to another human being. Really unfortunate very few people have the ability to think for themselves. It is a crippling disability that far too many possess. Is so much easier to criticize and tear down. Am sure it will only get worse as November approaches.
Very well said.

As someone who loves a mesmerizing speaker, and who appreciates eloquence, I have to agree that we have made much too much of this gift. I also sometimes feel I'm being hypnotized by the cobra when I listen to Obama.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:41 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I'll just start off by saying that I didn't think it was as bad as I thought It'd be. McCain just doesn't inspire the way some do. I wish he had Palin's or Obama's chrisma.

The green background was hideous. I did like the way he handled those nutjobs from Code Pink. He dispelled it as static and threw in some humor about "Americans just want us to stop yelling at each other." I thought that was pretty good.

But he provided a steady and straight-up speech that discussed his strengths and differences with his opponent while his adversaries say that all he did was embellish his heroic past and that he chanted further bipartisanship.

He addressed the need to deal with the countries many pitfalls, and yes, the word "Change" needs to be used or "Borrowed" from Obama, but he obviously has to describe a different way of getting there. He's not gonna sit back and promise us what we want to hear. That the land of Milk and Honey are at hand just because America is Different now and in the favor because the W Bush types are gone. McCain says that we have to get off our ass and roll up our sleeves and work hard and dilligent to achieve the success that he has. Many don't like to hear that. Sorry.

I, in fact, was impressed by his experience and the situation he and his dad were in in Vietnam. I don't think he needs to run for President and that he really is a bit old to do it, but he's doing it because we need someone who is so over-the-top experienced and dedicated the the US of A like he is. We should be priviledged to have him as a candidate.

He's not one to want to boast about his accomplishments and his past experience. But once he does in the spirit of contrasting to his opponent, he gets jumped on.

I'm more interested in what he does than what he says. We may or may not get to find out what that will be.

I thought he did just about what Obama did, but after Palin, he pailed in comparison.
I like your post... thoughtful. One of the things I liked about his speech is he stated he hated war... considering what he went through and what his family went through - I think that's something that set him apart from Obama - he can such a weighed statement because he's seen it first hand. I thought his speech was pretty good considering he's not the best speaker. But really it comes down to his record, merits, and accomplishments - what he has done for this country matters more than how/what he says during a campaign. Flowery speech may convince some to vote for a candidate, but not me. Overall, the speech was better than I thought it would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections