Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 07:53 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,091,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
If the campaign listened to the lyrics, they wouldn't want to use it anyway. The "Barracuda" in the song is a sleazeball, based on a real-life experience Ann and Nancy Wilson had with a music-indsutry guy who wanted to portray the sisters as lesbian lovers.

I can't believe they'd want to use that song. How stupid.
Remember, these are anti-intellectuals. They do not think beyond chorus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 08:01 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,677,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Many musicians are a bunch of pathetic liberals anyway; who cares what they think.
Oh, so their opinion about how their work is used doesn't matter, because you don't agree with their politics. Lovely.

Quote:
I doubt Fergie would have much of a different view on using her version--

But I'm sure someone in the country music world could pull it off and they'd probably be more receptive to conservative views and less likely to be an elitist snob.
I don't know what's elitist about it. I'm sure Ted Nugent or almost any country artist would be equally offended if someone at the DNC used one of their songs.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:07 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,740,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Many musicians are a bunch of pathetic liberals anyway; who cares what they think.

I doubt Fergie would have much of a different view on using her version--

But I'm sure someone in the country music world could pull it off and they'd probably be more receptive to conservative views and less likely to be an elitist snob.
oooooooooooooooooooooh, that hurts! I am proud to be an elitist snob.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:07 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,867,706 times
Who cares what the singers of that song say? They can protest all they want. Use is available through ASCAP I would guess. Just like if you have a football game and play the song at half time...you pay the licensing fees/royalties/etc.

Tough they don't like it. That and .50 cents will get them a bad cup of coffee.

Oh, how enraged these "artists" are that their "art" is being bastardized! You guys are killing me with the lunacy. More liberal outraged. I imagine that heads are exploding all over la la liberal land that these "artists" have been "offended"! Bwhahahahahaha!

Oh, this is just about as good as Limbaugh using Chrissie Hinde (sp) song as his theme. How was her "demand!" that he stop using it working for her? Going on 15+ years. BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:13 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,656,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Who cares what the singers of that song say? They can protest all they want. Use is available through ASCAP I would guess. Just like if you have a football game and play the song at half time...you pay the licensing fees/royalties/etc.

Oh, how enraged these "artists" are that their "art" is being bastardized! You guys are killing me with the lunacy. More liberal outraged. I imagine that heads are exploding all over la la liberal land that these "artists" have been "offended"! Bwhahahahahaha!

Oh, this is just about as good as Limbaugh using Chrissie Hinde (sp) song as his theme. How was her "demand!" that he stop using it working for her? Going on 15+ years. BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
As a songwriter, your post makes me sick. How would you feel if your work was misused this way?

Maybe it's meaningless to you, but I pour my heart and soul into my songs.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:17 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,677,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post

So if you were an artist, and someone whose views you despised used your work without your approval, that would be perfectly OK with you.

Whether "anyone can use it" isn't the issue. That's obvious. The issue is whether someone should violate the wishes of the artist.

I assume you think I'm some whiny liberal, based on your post, for saying this. If you read through any of my posts, you'll see I've supported Sarah Palin as much as I've criticized Obama. This is not about liberal vs. conservative, it's about walking in someone else's shoes and thinking how you'd like it if someone did this to you. You know, that whole "do unto others" thing.

If an artist didn't want me using his or her work, I'd have enough respect for the artist to stop using it. But hey, that's just me.

But whatever. Using the song makes the GOP look like a bunch of clueless fools anyway, because they obviously haven't stopped to listen to the lyrics. The barracuda in the song is not a GOOD thing, by any stretch.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:19 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,439,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
As a songwriter, your post makes me sick. How would you feel if your work was misused this way?

Just words, just speeches.

Once you sell the rights to the song, it's not yours anymore.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:21 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,889,677 times
pft

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post

Old 09-05-2008, 08:22 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,980,855 times
Default Women are not being fair!!!

They used Barracuda because of her style when she played basketball. This just AMAZES me women think Palin doesn't stand for women!! Can any of these self serving women be proud of a strong intellgent women who got where she is by working for it.

Palin has accomplished more in her 44 years, then most of these women complaining. She has 86% approval from her home state.

Be proud, even if your not voting for McCain, women have finally made it. I guess if she looked like she had a chip on her shoulder, she would have been welcomed by the left!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:23 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,656,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Just words, just speeches.

Once you sell the rights to the song, it's not yours anymore.
"Sell" the rights? You don't know what you're talking about.

They're not "just words" to me. Do you dismiss everything that you don't understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections