Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 01:25 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,047,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
AK doesn't have people now? Who does a governor serve? Ohh man what have they been teaching me in school....
What are you talking about? I never said AK doesn't have people - but being Mayor of Wassilla Alaska or even Governor of Alaska does not put you on the national stage. She is running for the VP of the United States - not VP of Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 01:27 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,456,472 times
quelinda:

"What in fact is victory in Iraq?" - you could have listened to President Bush at any point since the start of the war for that answer. Victory in Iraq is the establishment of a peaceful democratic government that doesn't threaten its neighbors or harbor terrorists. Bonus if the new government is an ally in the larger War. Bonus if the establishment of a democracy in an unstable region leads to stability and the peaceful transition of other regimes to democracy.

"the Iraqi prime minister wants us gone" - The Iraqi PM wants us gone in 3 or 4 years, depending on the conditions on the ground...

"The surge has succeeded? Who says." - The Exalted One himself, the Obamessiah, said that the Surge "has succeeded beyond our wildest expectations".

"what do we REALLY CARE??!" - do you care about Darfur? Saddam killed more people in 1991 than have died in the Darfur genocide. You won't help the Sudanese who are dying either I see. Not so linda on the inside...

Old 09-05-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
As of what a little more than a week ago?

JM is the one running for president not her. His foreign policy trumps both Obama and Biden so what little does she need to know about foreign policy that she can't quickly learn from one of the top rated people on foreign policy. Her policies for her actual job and not the one you wanted her doing have been highly approved by the people she works for...Ohhh yeah I guess you disconnected that question from my post so as not to answer it.

Were we looking at Gore or Cheney's foreign policies or Clintons and Bush's?
I didn't disconnect anything from your post - you asked "
Why would Gov. go to Iraq or any war zone for that matter"

and my answer was "Because she is running for Vice President of the United States of America and her running mate John McCain thinks that it is an important part of being a leader." I can't make it any simpler for you.

John McCain thinks it is important for everyone else except his running mate that he picked. Why is that a difficult concept to understand?

Old 09-05-2008, 01:37 PM

Now on to yours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
30%?

43 presidents, 4 assassinated, 4 died of natural causes, 1 resigned. That's more like 20%. If you want to play the statistics game, we can do so. But you won't like the figures.
I said I believe 30% - thank you for doing the research and showing that it is 20% - but that doesn't make me feel any more confident in her.

Obama hasn't received very much real scrutiny.
He has been on the national stage since 2004 - what are you waiting for? If you haven't scrutinzed him yet that's your fault.

had the Democrats in '90 gotten their way, then the answer to your question would be different.
If you say 'if Obama had his way things would be different' I would agree - we wouldn't be there in the first place. Instead we would have already followed Bin Laden to the 'gates of hell' and Iraq wouldn't be the problem it is.

So if it doesn't matter when or how often Obama visited Iraq, why does it matter for Palin?
I can't believe I have to keep repeating this - it doesn't matter to me - it matters to John McCain!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is the one that said it was important!

Last edited by rightofcenter; 09-05-2008 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: left out a word

Old 09-05-2008, 01:37 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,456,472 times
roc - if John McCain were running against Palin I could see how this might be an issue - but he's not, the opponent is Barack Obama - who can't be bothered with meeting wounded soldiers.

Tell you what: Governor Palin can ask her son about Iraq, Track Palin deploys next week.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:38 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,947,781 times
Quote:
As of what a little more than a week ago?

JM is the one running for president not her. His foreign policy trumps both Obama and Biden so what little does she need to know about foreign policy that she can't quickly learn from one of the top rated people on foreign policy. Her policies for her actual job and not the one you wanted her doing have been highly approved by the people she works for...Ohhh yeah I guess you disconnected that question from my post so as not to answer it.

Were we looking at Gore or Cheney's foreign policies or Clintons and Bush's?
Trumps Biden? Looks like they are kinda tied.

Biden and McCain, Rivals Again | The Trail | washingtonpost.com

Old 09-05-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
roc - if John McCain were running against Palin I could see how this might be an issue - but he's not, the opponent is Barack Obama - who can't be bothered with meeting wounded soldiers.

Tell you what: Governor Palin can ask her son about Iraq, Track Palin deploys next week.
This makes no sense. McCain's criteria for a leader applies to his opponent by not his running mate????

Biden's son deploys in December - so what's your point?

Old 09-05-2008, 01:42 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,502,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
What are you talking about? I never said AK doesn't have people - but being Mayor of Wassilla Alaska or even Governor of Alaska does not put you on the national stage. She is running for the VP of the United States - not VP of Alaska.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
Palin has been on the national stage and open to scrutiny by the American public since last week.
I disagree.....In a time where we need someone that knows something about energy Gov. Palin steps up:

"During her first legislative session, Governor Palin’s administration passed two major pieces of legislation – an overhaul of the state’s ethics laws and a competitive process to construct a gas pipeline.

Governor Palin is chair of the Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission, a multi-state government agency that promotes the conservation and efficient recovery of domestic oil and natural gas resources while protecting health, safety and the environment. She was recently named chair of the National Governors Association (NGA) Natural Resources Committee, which is charged with pursuing legislation to ensure state needs are considered as federal policy is formulated in the areas of agriculture, energy, environmental protection and natural resource management. Prior to being named to this position, she served as co-chair of this committee.

Prior to her election as governor, Palin served two terms on the Wasilla City Council and two terms as the mayor/manager of Wasilla. During her tenure, she reduced property tax levels while increasing services and made Wasilla a business friendly environment, drawing in new industry."

So we have someone with foreign policy (McCain) and someone with domestic policy (Palin)

Particularly in AK things have been rather rough being so far away and gas prices only compound the cost of items that aren't mostly made there.

http://www.labor.state.ak.us/research/col/col.pdf

Old 09-05-2008, 02:08 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,070,651 times
Are you people serious? This is about keeping score?

OK then, let's break it down...

McCain trips to Iraq....8
Palin trips to Iraq....0

Obama trips to Iraq....1
Biden trips to Iraq....8

Obama/Biden ticket is up by one visit. I fail to see why Palin having a score of 0 is worse than Obama's score of 1. Isn't Obama running for the office of Commander In Cheif, against McCain? Didn't McCain personally invite Obama to visit Iraq with him and actually learn something, and didn't Obama decline only to make his own photo op visit later?

But hey, if you makes you feel better to pick on Sarah Palin rather than focus on the inadequacies of Obama then I guess you are having a pretty good day.

Last edited by NCyank; 09-05-2008 at 02:20 PM..

Old 09-05-2008, 02:12 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Are you people serious? This is about keeping score?

OK then, let's break it down...

McCain trips to Iraq....8
Palin trips to Iraq....0

Obama trips to Iraq....1
Biden trips to Iraq....8

Obama/Biden ticket is up by one visit. I fail to see why Palin having a score of 0 is worse than Obama's score of 1. Isn't Obama running for the office of Commander In Cheif, against McCain? Didn't McCain personally invite Obama to visit Iraq with him and actually learn something, and didn't Obama decline only to make his own photo op visit later?

But hey, if you makes you feel better to pick on Sarah Palin than to focus on the inadequacies of Obama then I guess you are having a pretty good day.
It wouldn't let me rep you again. But I tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections