Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 01:00 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,176 times

Advertisements

I have to confess: This is a side Bill O'Reilly that I've never heard of. He's gained some respect from me. And perhaps a lot of others.

Either that, or he sees the Oval Office writing on the wall.

Bill O'Reilly: Bill's Column
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 01:19 PM

742 posts, read 2,067,632 times
This is not the first for O'Reilly. Papa Bear has shown this side of himself (to some degree) when he appeared as a guest on other shows, such as on "Jay Leno" and on "Conan". It is refreshing to see him when he's not in TV persona mode.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:23 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,930,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I have to confess: This is a side Bill O'Reilly that I've never heard of. He's gained some respect from me. And perhaps a lot of others.

Either that, or he sees the Oval Office writing on the wall.

Bill O'Reilly: Bill's Column
I think it's more that Barack has gained the respect of Bill O'Reilly.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:34 PM

375 posts, read 781,959 times
From the blog

Quote:
Chatting with Obama
By Bill O'Reilly for BillOReilly.com
Friday, Sep 05, 2008

Like him or not, you have to give Barack Obama credit for waging a smart, focused campaign. Destroying the Clinton machine was a major achievement and so was putting together a successful convention in Denver. Obama is now firmly a part of U.S. history, no matter what happens in the presidential election.

The problem some Americans continue to have with the Senator is that he is long on charisma but short on detail. This frightens some voters. Who the heck is this guy, anyway? So when Obama finally agreed to speak to me this week, specifics were on my mind.

First, the man. The Barack Obama I witnessed is self-confident, determined and driven. He was acutely aware of his surroundings from the moment he entered the room. He looks you in the eye and touches your shoulder. He understands how to connect one-on-one.

As far as philosophy goes, Senator Obama is convinced that the federal government should be in control of income distribution and, to some extent, should regulate the free marketplace. That is a classic liberal position, and Obama promotes it well.

The Senator also believes that poor Americans have a basic right to free health care and monetary supplements from the government with no strings attached. The American substance abuser, for example, would derive the same benefit as a hard working, laid off worker would. Again, classic liberalism. No judgments made regarding entitlements.

So, if Barack Obama does become president, there will definitely be change. His left-wing base will demand it, and he will come through. You can decide if that's change we should believe in, but keep in mind that the unintended consequences of government interference in the marketplace are impossible to predict. Free markets have a way of chafing under government imposition.

On the foreign policy front, Obama has convinced me that he is tough but cautious. He rose up quickly because he vehemently opposed the Iraq war. But now I see a man who understands the victory that has taken place in Iraq. I don't believe he wants to screw that up. I could be wrong.

After going mano-a-mano with Obama on television, I am also persuaded that he is a sincere guy—that he wants the best for all Americans. He's an ideologue, but not a blind one. He understands that his story is incredible, and, I have come to believe, he is grateful to the American system for allowing it happen.

It is true that we don't know whether Senator Obama has the ability to solve complex problems, but you can say that about all presidential contenders.

Like most politicians, Obama has used guile and good luck to accumulate his power. He can be ruthless, kind, unfair, and generous. In short, he's a real person trying to achieve an unreal position—that of the most powerful person in the world.

God help him.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:40 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,656 times
As far as philosophy goes, Senator Obama is convinced that the federal government should be in control of income distribution and, to some extent, should regulate the free marketplace. That is a classic liberal position, and Obama promotes it well.

death knell

Old 09-05-2008, 01:43 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post

death knell
Do you actually believe that the marketplace is "unregulated" now? Maybe the mortgage-backed securities market.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:54 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,635,365 times
Not sure what is up his sleeve. Doesn't sound like vintage O'Reilly. He may start trashing Obama after he has gotten what he wants (interviews) and puts some kind of "analysis" together. He is very wily and crafty, Obama not in his league.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:09 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Wow, that was beautiful.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:15 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,656 times
Yes, whther you like it or not over the last 25 to 30 years there has been a bi-partisan movement to throw the US economy headlong into global markets and international free trade. Being from Michigan I dont see how you missed that. I am a card carrying career machinist and also from Michigan whos job was sent overseas several years ago and went through the whole retraining and NAFTA garbage. The days of overpaid autoworkers and bloated benefits packages are long gone and we should listen to straight talkin john "they aint coming back"

Yes I believe international markets are unregulated and that it will require some short term adjustment by the American worker but in the long term we will leaving our children better off because of our sacrifice. Ive made that adjustment moving to greener pastures with better economic opportunity and my family prospers way beyond what I would have imagined when the machine shop I worked in for many years closed. We almost moved to your area as my wife had a nice offer on the table from a company in Kzoo. The western LP seems to have gotten the message and has been diversifying their econonmy for years.

Taxing corporations that create jobs will only drive them oversseas. We need capital investment here so we can grow our economy in very competitive international markets

Big picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Do you actually believe that the marketplace is "unregulated" now? Maybe the mortgage-backed securities market.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:55 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,188 times
i am not sure that oreilly is actually complimenting obama in this article. he is reaffirming that the country would definitely go more left-wing under an obama presidency. with the most liberal senator in congress running, accompanied by the 3rd most liberal senator, biden, there is not much room for moderation. obama may be sincere but he is certainly as liberal as john kerry was when he lost the election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections