Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:10 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,835,808 times

Advertisements

If some are going to focus on children; why not an actual candidate's past drug use while a youth?

RealClearPolitics - Articles - The Unexamined Life

"In his memoir "Dreams from My Father," Barack Obama describes his troubled teenaged years. "Pot had helped, and booze, maybe a little blow when you could afford it. Not smack though," he recalls, though he admits he came close to trying heroin at the urging of a friend who shot up in front of him. He was deterred by the image "of an air bubble, shiny and round like a pearl, rolling quietly through my vein and stopping my heart," he says. "Junkie. Pothead. That's where I'd been headed: the final, fatal role of the young would-be black man."
Obama's drug use went on for at least a few years, though he is noticeably vague in describing exactly when it began, how extensive it was, or when it ended. At least one of his friends was arrested for drug possession; another had a mental breakdown after one too many acid trips. But Obama has been reticent to reveal the extent of his illegal activities -- and the media haven't cared enough to pursue the question.
Past drug use by presidential candidates was considered a legitimate subject of inquiry for Bill Clinton (who, famously, "didn't inhale") and George W. Bush. News organizations devoted considerable investigative resources in 2000 to track down unsubstantiated rumors about Bush's alleged cocaine use -- and printed the accusation, even when there was no credible evidence that it was true. Yet those same news organizations treat Obama's admitted -- and apparently heavy -- youthful drug use as if it were off-limits. . . ."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 02:12 PM

36,687 posts, read 67,691,708 times
Well, Palin admitted to smoking weed but Im sure you'd say she turned out okay.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:13 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,389,462 times
He's come a long way since then. It's pretty remarkable.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:15 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,088,069 times
Oh, who the heck knows? Probably the same reason Dubyah's cocaine use and drunk driving were out of bounds. N'est c'est pas?

(And did you vote that snow-sniffer in anyway?)

Old 09-05-2008, 02:17 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,694,160 times
It comes up ALL THE TIME.

The father we get into the 21st century, the most likely it is that the VP or Pres candidate is going to have experimented with drugs in their youth. No one cares.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:20 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,401,095 times
When someone admits it, and its in a book, and it has already been discussed numerous times, it kinds loses its power. People have spoken about it, and look at what he has overcome.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:23 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,954,507 times
It was discussed.....months ago. It's called a dead horse.....stop beating it.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:23 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,933,710 times
At 17, the year must have been 1978. So amazing that Barack was able to choose a path so different than the path many young black men choose every day.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:28 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,835,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Oh, who the heck knows? Probably the same reason Dubyah's cocaine use and drunk driving were out of bounds. N'est c'est pas?

(And did you vote that snow-sniffer in anyway?)
lol. yeah, that one was really out-of-bounds and ignored by the media. . . . the libs were using it as an example of how he'd turned his life around. You guys are hilarious!

Old 09-05-2008, 02:30 PM

18,092 posts, read 27,550,883 times
Why is Obama's 17 y.o. drug exploits out-of-bounds?

Gee I don't know. In defense of Obama here, the more I hear about it the more I like the guy.

I was just thinking about my own drug exploits back at 17, 18, etc. myself.

You know, it took until the 10th time that I smoked weed till I finally got rip-roarin' stoned. I was with my older brother, of course. We laughed our spleens off for about 45 minutes. After that, I was never able to recapture a high quite like that. I'd been too stoned a couple of times since then or had the "really killer bud", but for the most part, weed was boring and I eventually just quit.

Now booze, that's another story. It sounds to me like Obama is a social or moderate drinker or perhaps a teetotaler, I don't know. But he sounds like he was a social drug user. What's the big deal? At least he didn't pull a Bubba.
Quote:
Eye deeid nought inhayall.
Now Bubba is special. He's the reason why we "question" the "integrity" of that little Oval office there. No other President has sinned prior or since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections