Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:05 PM

789 posts, read 1,335,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Well politics, possibly leading the free world, fixing a country in an absolute mess should always be a comfortable experience.

The sexism going on here is completely unbelievable. Women are not delicate eggs that need to be protected and handled with care. If Palin is an equal, then treat her like one.
Sexism? What makes you think there is "sexism going on here"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 11:08 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,947,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
I understand what they mean. In other words, the boys are allowed to go to interviews unprepared but the girl has to be prepared since she is "just a girl" and may not be able to take it or something.

My opinion, too many unprepared interviews already so it makes sense to ensure she is ready and does not fumble her first interview. It shows preparation BUT it may also be showing the fact that the Mccain camp doesn't know her well enough.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:08 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,046,837 times
Quote:
I think the point is that you would never see this applied to a man - not letting him talk to the media until he is comfortable and ready. It's almost like the McCain camp is saying 'we don't want to overload her pretty little head'.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
I think the point is that you would never see this applied to a man - not letting him talk to the media until he is comfortable and ready. It's almost like the McCain camp is saying 'we don't want to overload her pretty little head'.
I think that if she's ready to be VP then she better be ready to talk to reporters. I just hate when "isms" get thrown around based on assumptions.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:15 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,616,169 times
Yes, exactly. The sexism here, while infantilizing women, really works against men for the very reasons that you both stated. Men, because of their sex, are expected to be ready and prepared no matter the circumstances. No excuses. But women? They deserve time and comfort to become ready. And I'm not saying this because of assumptions. I'm just looking at the actions occurring and the language from the press release. I agree that -isms shouldn't be thrown around willy nilly, but this to me is just so overt and textbook.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:19 PM

Are you claiming that McCain's camp is being sexist for saying she isn't ready or that the media is being sexist for putting up with it?

Are they saying it's because she's a woman or are you assuming it's because she's a woman?

Old 09-05-2008, 11:27 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,616,169 times
Quote:
Are you claiming that McCain's camp is being sexist for saying she isn't ready or that the media is being sexist for putting up with it?

Are they saying it's because she's a woman or are you assuming it's because she's a woman?
For me it all centers on the press release's use of the word "comfortable." I'd be hard pressed to think of an example where, unless in the event of tragedy, that a male politician's typified campaign practices are put off because the politician isn't "comfortable" yet. Political campaigns are rarely comfortable from what I've seen.

Oh, and to answer your question, I think it's sexism on both parts, though I think the press is starting to rethink Palin's not taking question for this very reason. Or, at the very least, because it just seems so odd.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
For me it all centers on the press release's use of the word "comfortable." I'd be hard pressed to think of an example where, unless in the event of tragedy, that a male politician's typified campaign practices are put off because the politician isn't "comfortable" yet. Political campaigns are rarely comfortable from what I've seen.
I see what you are saying now. Just be cautious using the "isms" because it could backfire.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:51 PM

922 posts, read 1,910,568 times
palin said she didnt care if she was a media favorite. good for her. Im tired of all the talking heads asking the same question 10 different ways to make there twisted view. I dont need the enquirer giving me any "facts". I dont care if the jet was "sold" on e-bay or not. it was sold and thats a good point.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
palin said she didnt care if she was a media favorite. good for her. Im tired of all the talking heads asking the same question 10 different ways to make there twisted view. I dont need the enquirer giving me any "facts". I dont care if the jet was "sold" on e-bay or not. it was sold and thats a good point.
Why would you use the word "fact" in a negative view?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections