Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 07:18 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,923,896 times

Advertisements

Early reports are indicating a 1-2 point lead for McCain-Palin this Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 07:19 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,042,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Early reports from...?

Old 09-06-2008, 07:19 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,707,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
That would be nice. But its kind of a weird thing for people to "predict" polls.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:26 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,085,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Look...

Obama backers need to check their swagger at the door. Because under almost ANY other circumstances, McCain would win handily. Obama is in this thing because G W Bush set the table for him with 8 years of incomptence, corruption, and ruinous policy.

This election is gonna be close.
Republicans set the table and McCain was polishing the silver!

Old 09-06-2008, 07:26 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,656,592 times
I just saw bunches of senior citizens registering in the Charlotte area. I think this will be an interesting election. Actually it was on the news showing people registering, but I noticed that a majority of them were older people.

Nothing like telling a group of people that you are going to take their hard earned money away at the tune of 25% to get them out of their homes and into the election.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:43 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,287,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
It doesn't matter what I assume. Or what you assume. It matters what college kids think, and what situations they've seen in their own lives.

That's why I keep saying Sarah Palin was a real gift to the dems. She gets people excited, she gets people talking. Which has always been the biggest challenge in getting the college kids to vote. So thanks, Sarah, we will always be in your debt for this.

At the same time, this pregnancy issue is going to keep them from voting for her. And the teenage marriage issue is going to bother a lot of college kids, too.

You may not want to hear this, but it's true.
Hopefully college kids (and I have 3 kids in college) are more intelligent than you think and able to think for themselves. I seriously doubt they are going to automatically assume that Sarah Palin forced her daughter to have a baby and get married. I will see them all tomorrow, though, and I will ask them what they think about that. I have already told them to pay attention to the issues and the candidates and vote they way they want to vote. I think one of them might for Obama; she was talking to me last week and was sort of testing the waters, saying "what would you say if I voted for Obama..." and I told her she can vote any way she likes and I won't say anything; it is her vote and her right. My oldest could have voted in the last election but she decided not to vote because she said she was not informed enough and didn't know enough about the issues or the candidates to make a decision, and if she did vote it would just be a vote based on what either we (her parents) or her friends thought, and I agreed with her that she should only vote if she were an informed voter. I don't know how she will vote in this election. The youngest will barely be 19 at the time of the election and he has been interested in politics since he was in grade school and has always been conservative. I'm sure he'll vote for McCain.

The point is, college kids are more intelligent than you give them credit for. It's silly to assume because Palin's daughter is pregnant that they will assume her mom made her have the baby and get married.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:56 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,972,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I just saw bunches of senior citizens registering in the Charlotte area. I think this will be an interesting election. Actually it was on the news showing people registering, but I noticed that a majority of them were older people.

Nothing like telling a group of people that you are going to take their hard earned money away at the tune of 25% to get them out of their homes and into the election.
Today????? Really? Where? We were in Charlotte area today, at a senior center north of town.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:58 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,018,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
I think Obama is weathering the storm pretty well so far, and by "storm" I mean John McCain's surprise Sarah Palin pick last week, the GOP convention, and Sarah Palin's blistering VP acceptance speech, which pretty much gave Obama a good spanking.

Yesterday's Gallup tracking polls have Obama 48, McCain 44, and today's Rasmussen tracking poll, with leaners, are Obama 49% McCain 46%.

Rasmussen Reports™: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election. (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/daily_presidential_tracking_poll - broken link)

Another brand new tracking poll, Hotline Diageo, show Obama 46, McCain 40.

DIAGEO | HOTLINE POLL

Obama's current RCP average lead stands at 2.8%

RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - General Election: McCain vs. Obama

No large bump for McCain (THANG GOD!), unlike in 2004 where Bush came out of his convention with a large 10-15 point lead over Kerry, a lead he never relenquised until election day. No mass defections of women and indepedents to Mccain after his pick of Sarah Palin.

It could all change, of course, and the next big gamechanger will be the debates. But I'm pleased to report that Obama still has the advantage at this point and he weathered the worst of the storm. And if the election were held today, it would look something like this map:

Electoral-vote.com: President, Senate, House Updated Daily

i admire your optimism, but i think that mccain will come out 2-3 points AHEAD early next week. i also think that caribou barbie will have to start answering questions to the press. whenever she feels that she's good & ready, she will inevitably have a misstep here and there. if she were a man, she would have had to answer questions immediately. the press is WAY too easy on her b/c of her sex. ppl will start to see her as the unqualified candidate that she is and not this "super" normal redneck gal phenom. the same thing happened with gerry ferraro back in 84. at first, there were crowds everywhere she went. but it didn't mean much in the end. mondale only won minnesota & DC. however, this race will be tighter b/c we are much more polarized nowadays.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:00 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,663,687 times
Quote:

And what party were they registering for?

Old 09-06-2008, 08:04 PM

174 posts, read 627,111 times
you won't see a bump until monday or tuesday for the GOPers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections