Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 03:19 PM

117 posts, read 149,472 times

Advertisements

It’s Been a Long Time Running - The New York Times > Politics > Slide Show > Slide 13 of 21

My Left Nutmeg:: Another Republican

Quote:
Yes, it's against the law. It violates the U.S. Flag Code and New Hampshire law (where he signed it) besides. McCain, of course, has voted for the "Flag Desecration Amendment" at every available opportunity.

The U.S. Flag Code -- passed into law on June 22, 1942.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 03:22 PM

36,664 posts, read 67,591,134 times
All these flagwavers have violated the sanctity of our flag all sorts of ways, but its only when liberals do something is it abhorrent and these chickenhawks flap their wings in disgust.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:22 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,958,231 times
OMG...let's shoot him.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:43 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,942,319 times
Signing your name to a small American Flag replica that was made (in China) as a toy does not constitute that being a desecration of the US Flag. All flags that may be tied to fences, poles in the ground are there as symbals. The Flag that is on the Flag pole or on a standard or on a Govmt building rates a salute from me on passing. Steve (korea)

Old 09-06-2008, 03:44 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,526,951 times
John McCain signing little plastic flags made in China. That is art.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:46 PM

117 posts, read 149,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Signing your name to a small American Flag replica that was made (in China) as a toy does not constitute that being a desecration of the US Flag. All flags that may be tied to fences, poles in the ground are there as symbals. The Flag that is on the Flag pole or on a standard or on a Govmt building rates a salute from me on passing. Steve (korea)
Au contraire:

Quote:
Originally Posted by United States Flag Code

The flag should never have placed on it, or attached to it, any mark, insignia,
letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code

Old 09-06-2008, 03:55 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,639,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeXSvegas View Post
Exactly...the flag code is the flag code, period.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:05 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,951,345 times
I would be appalled if the picture were not a FAKE!

Let me explain, When I first looked at the picture, the flag and signature looked too 3-dimensional. Then I notice the sleeve does not match the jacket. Then I noticed irregularities around the flag and the lapel sticker. When I blew it up, notice slight airbrush traces.

For the piece de resistance, after a little digging I found the out the lapel sticker isn't a lapel sticker - it's a bumper sticker!

http://www.goptrunk.com/category-s/104.htm

Old 09-06-2008, 06:09 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,169,114 times
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/2822/bushdesecratesflaghu6.jpg (broken link)

heh.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,782,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Maybe you never served in the United States Armed Forces where you learn the Code of Honour of the Flag of the United States. It clearly states that the flag is not to be defaced or marked on. McCain did serve and he knows that.
That said, not a big deal. Very few Americans actually follow the Code and do things such as not flying it in bad weather or at night unless it is lit, flying it in the proper order and height with other flags and correctly folding it (triangle with stars up) when storing it.
I respect the flag and always treat it with the upmost of honour. But that is a personal choice and if others don't, I do not get bent up about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections