Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 04:06 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
McCain agrees to fund the bailout as far as I have heard.
You can always count on McCain to be there for Wall Street! And for China. But for you and me??? Forget it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 09:29 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Candidates Weigh in on Fannie, Freddie - Politics and Government * US * News * Story - CNBC.com

At a rally in Colorado Springs, Col., Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin said, "They've gotten too big and too expensive to the taxpayers. The McCain-Palin administration will make them smaller and smarter and more effective for homeowners who need help."

WTF does this mean? The government should MAKE them smaller? How about the government LET them shrink to nothing?

It's just more warm fuzzies and nonsensical talk about smaller government. They hold $4T of largely junk rated mortgage debt. What on earth does it mean to make them smaller?

Yeah, I know Obama supports a full bailout, but I don't care what the Dems have to say. What I care about is this: will McCain use his brain?
whatever! when/if they make it to the hotseat they'll change their tune.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:35 PM

389 posts, read 1,095,823 times
Quote:
Candidates Weigh in on Fannie, Freddie - Politics and Government * US * News * Story - CNBC.com

At a rally in Colorado Springs, Col., Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin said, "They've gotten too big and too expensive to the taxpayers. The McCain-Palin administration will make them smaller and smarter and more effective for homeowners who need help."

WTF does this mean?
It means she's stupid and already thought the government owned those two institutions. Now that "They've gotten too big and too expensive to the taxpayers." she wants the government to dump them.

First McCain admits not knowing anything about economics and now Palin shows us she doesn't know anything either.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:

WTF does this mean? The government should MAKE them smaller? How about the government LET them shrink to nothing?

It's just more warm fuzzies and nonsensical talk about smaller government. They hold $4T of largely junk rated mortgage debt. What on earth does it mean to make them smaller?

Yeah, I know Obama supports a full bailout, but I don't care what the Dems have to say. What I care about is this: will McCain use his brain?
Because McCain just spoon feeds idiot conservatives bullcrap about "the government being smaller" and "free enterprise". He will always be there to bail out his Wall Street friends just like any other Republican. But you just keep on buying his BS and voting Republican! No billionaire left behind!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:47 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
If people are losing their houses because the interest rate went up so much, it would seem the solution is simple. Lower the interest rate. What am I missing here?

Old 09-08-2008, 08:49 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
What is obama's plan on this? Perhaps like everything else he intends to tax the productive folks more to help pay for those who didn't plan properly?
Here's the OBAMA plan:

TOP FANNIE AND FREDDIE LOBBYIST CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS
2003-2008 Center for Responsive Politics
Lou Dobbs Tonight

(ALL DEMOCRATS)

1. Sen. Christopher Dodd

2. Sen. John Kerry

3. Sen BARACK OBAMA

4, Sen HILLARY CLINTON

5. Sen Paul Kanjorski

Old 09-08-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:

I think expecting a detailed plan on day one of the anouncment is quite ambitious so he gave the right answer.

No Economist today on any station from anywhere had a clue what to say, even knows how much or how deep this is... even the mouth Jim Cramer (not economist but mouthy)...

It's going to be a long big problem. Go read the lobbying dollars from them and weep. Pathetic. and they knew all year, notice how they hinted around all summer then dropped it the week after the conventions.

Check out OBAMA (on my other post) Number 3 in top receipients from them. Top five were Democrats.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Because McCain just spoon feeds idiot conservatives bullcrap about "the government being smaller" and "free enterprise". He will always be there to bail out his Wall Street friends just like any other Republican. But you just keep on buying his BS and voting Republican! No billionaire left behind!
Really? Maybe THIS is the change we need?

Lou Dobbs Tonight

(ALL DEMOCRATS)

1. Sen. Christopher Dodd

2. Sen. John Kerry

3. Sen BARACK OBAMA

4, Sen HILLARY CLINTON

5. Sen Paul Kanjorski

Old 09-08-2008, 09:06 PM

479 posts, read 879,451 times
Want to guess who was one of those lobbyist on the hill for Fannie Mae? John McBush's own campaign manager Rick Davis.
[i]McCain's campaign manager, Rick Davis, also has ties to Fannie Mae. He was president of the Homeownership Alliance, a Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac-led advocacy group. And Arthur B. Culvahouse Jr., a one-time White House counsel to President Reagan, is providing behind-the-scenes advice to McCain in the Republican's search for a running mate. Senate records show Culvahouse was registered to lobby on behalf of Fannie Mae and Lockheed Martin in a couple of instances several years ago, although his allies say his involvement was not extensive.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/compan...lobbying_N.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Really? Maybe THIS is the change we need?

Lou Dobbs Tonight

(ALL DEMOCRATS)

1. Sen. Christopher Dodd

2. Sen. John Kerry

3. Sen BARACK OBAMA

4, Sen HILLARY CLINTON

5. Sen Paul Kanjorski

Old 09-08-2008, 09:44 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If people are losing their houses because the interest rate went up so much, it would seem the solution is simple. Lower the interest rate. What am I missing here?
An education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections