Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:29 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
No it's nothing like that. I grew up in this denomination and faith healing is about praying for God to intercede on your/someone else's behalf. Some churches would say that if the healing didn't take place then the person asking for healing didn't have enough faith for it to happen. Other's would say it just wasn't Gods will. Just like other denominations different churches run the gamut in extreme.

The overall thinking is that we live in the end times and that Christ is returning at any moment. A lot of time is spent trying to understand biblical prophecy and how it applies to what is going on today.

When I was a member women were encouraged not to dress flashy or wear to much makeup. Women are to be submissive to men and act as "helpmates". It's an equal partnership with the husband having the final vote so to speak.

Honestly, I left that church when I got out of my parents house because I didn't agree with the condemnation and judgment that was thrown at people all the time. According to my AOG church (and others may be different) anyone who wasn't pentecostal was going to hell. I wasn't allowed to attend a Baptist church with a friend because my parents thought it was full of lies. They also believed that God wanted everyone to be successful and wealthy and that if you believed enough God would make it happen for you. There is a term for it but I can't remember what it was. Basically if you had a crappy life they believed it was your own fault or that God was punishing you for some sin. Your "cross to bear" so to speak.

They also believed in demon possession and I was taught that things like mental illness and especially schizophrenia were demon possession. Thank God for college!

See, I find this VERY interesting. So in the latter case, no one should be on medications, mental illness is just a posession? Then meds, psychiatry and any non-physical illness is all a case of "not finding God"?

As a Roman Catholic we were taught some of that guilt and shame, and, it really doesnt help the matter when for example, someone has epilepsy. It is regarded as shameful. Of course, it isnt as extreme as the snake thing, do they really bring snakes into the church?

I am amazed they condemn all others, and say they are going to hell, Catholicism teaches tolerance (at least we read the New testament, and are not supposed to judge others)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
I actually spent some time in it too (a very short time but enough to get the gist). I was told to drop all of my nonbeliever friends.

Palin would be representing an awful lot of "nonbelievers" so I guess they'd have to make an exception for her.
Really. I wonder what her opinion is of the numerous other religions They dont seem very tolerant.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:34 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,186 times
Quote:
See, I find this VERY interesting. So in the latter case, no one should be on medications, mental illness is just a posession? Then meds, psychiatry and any non-physical illness is all a case of "not finding God"?

As a Roman Catholic we were taught some of that guilt and shame, and, it really doesnt help the matter when for example, someone has epilepsy. It is regarded as shameful. Of course, it isnt as extreme as the snake thing, do they really bring snakes into the church?

I am amazed they condemn all others, and say they are going to hell, Catholicism teaches tolerance (at least we read the New testament, and are not supposed to judge others)
Yes, that was the thinking up until I left in the early 90s. As to Catholics......well they pretty much think that the Pope will be the false prophet who ushers in the AntiChrist. To make my situation a little more confusing, we were Catholic for the first 7 years of my life before they joined this church.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:37 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,420 times
Where are the Palindrones swooping in to her rescue with links and facts refuting this?

Old 09-08-2008, 01:39 PM

I do recall that, in the New Testament it is said we are all God's children, to love all creatures, how was that translation lost in these extremist, snake charming, hate-preaching type churches? How do they justify their hatred/intolerance of others?

I do know where I presently live a pastor approached me-lol- it is like a cult and all he wanted was money......

Old 09-08-2008, 01:46 PM

I think the non-denominational churches preach more love and tolerance than AOG does. We even had our own version of the girl scouts called Missionettes. Everyone was to be in the world and not of it. Separating yourself from nonbelievers was a way to keep sin from infiltrating your life.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:52 PM

So- all people who dont follow them are considered sinners......sounds like the Spanish Inquisition to me, I guess they dont like anyone who is "different"?

This is extreme intolerance, then and certainly not acceptable.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:59 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,961,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Really. I wonder what her opinion is of the numerous other religions They dont seem very tolerant.
I was told that Catholicism is idolatry and people should avoid it. I don't remember being told about specific other ones except for general messages that everyone else was wrong.

The only thing I really like about the protestant church more than others is that they give communion to everyone, you don't have to be baptized or anything else that the Catholic church requires. That's a huge beef I have with Catholicism and is the main reason I never became a catholic (catholic mother, jewish father, most people became episcopalian...some actually moved to Alaska to a church like Palin's...oh it's a long, long story).

I just don't think that a lot of new Palin supporters fully understand the influence of the Assembly of God church in terms of the way the teachings control every aspect of your life, including how you deal with others...I don't know how involved in the church she still is, though.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I just don't think that a lot of new Palin supporters fully understand the influence of the Assembly of God church in terms of the way the teachings control every aspect of your life, including how you deal with others...I don't know how involved in the church she still is, though.
I agree and it really does depend on how closely she is still involved with the core beliefs of the AOG. I separated myself from it when I left home and maybe she did too. However some of the recent videos I've seen lately lead me to believe she hasn't. Either way, I feel that she should be the only one speaking about her beliefs. Why her pastor needs to do this on her behalf is beyond me. However, if she does still hold to the AOG beliefs then it would make sense that her pastor would speak for her.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:09 PM

Thanks everyone. Interesting and more radical than I knew. The way they "deal with others" is very interesting to me, they seem to follow a code, almost like a cult....I wonder how they look at other countries, etc.....and how this will influence foreign policy.......

She looked pretty gung-ho in the tape shown earlier, it will be explained in detail this evening on CNN, I hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections