U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:50 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,461,550 times

Advertisements

It doesnt seem to be something thats regularly addressed when it comes to the election, but what factor do you think most Ron Paul supporters will have in the outcome of who wins in November?

Of any group of political supporters, they seem to be the most passionate and I commend that. Many people I know who supported him have about as much interest in voting McCain as they do Obama. Some I know actually intend to vote Obama simply because they feel like electing in the "change" candidate and having him change nothing will further enforce the need for a REAL change.

Whats your take? If Paul was your guy, whats your backup plan?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 12:18 AM

745 posts, read 2,084,189 times
I really liked Ron Paul. He had some great ideas that I wish the other parties would adopt. I was even one of those small-time donors that would have voted for him, but Hillary vs. Obama was really close when the Virginia primary rolled around and nobody was paying attention to the Republicans so I went with Hillary.

Personally, I think his supporters cut across all demographics and it will depend on what they consider important.

Some will consider his important issues to be his opposition of having troops abroad or will want the party in power out, and will migrate to Obama as the lesser of 2 evils. Some will consider fewer taxes and less government his important issues and will migrate to McCain as the lesser of 2 evils. On social issues, Paul is a little closer to McCain also and McCain might even get some of the change vote. For me personally I was with Hillary initially but migrated to McCain quickly after the primaries, but I do think his supporters will split without a wide margin.

For those that are truly split, they might agree with Dr. Paul and not support either candidate, but stay home or vote for a 3rd party candidate. This is especially true if Dr. Paul accepts a VP slot. He had some very passionate followers, but he has also been talking recently about how much harder it is for him to raise money for Congressional candidates he supports since he's not on the ballot. So his endorsement or open support may be limited since his passionate following didn't translate into a great number of votes in most places.

I do predict, even if he runs, he'll get fewer votes in battleground states that will be limited to people that don't see a difference between McCain or Obama, while in non-battleground states his supporters will be more likely to cast a protest ballot for him. I do hope his ideas continue to live on and will be a future direction of the Republican platform because core Democratic political belief is more fundamentally based on larger Government being the solution which is a far different basis than Dr. Paul seems to have.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:48 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,410,088 times
I dont think he will have any factor. I think his supporters would just be more tempted to stay home out of being bitter that he didnt win the election. But, honestly, I dont think there are very many of "those" people left. I am sure most just went to John McCain, some went to Obama, and some just wont vote.

My take, I like what Paul stands for, but he lost the election and needs to stop whining. He can try again next time. This whole "lets give a counter convention" thing was extremely tacky and showed what a sore looser he is.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:06 AM

7,730 posts, read 13,447,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I dont think he will have any factor. I think his supporters would just be more tempted to stay home out of being bitter that he didnt win the election. But, honestly, I dont think there are very many of "those" people left. I am sure most just went to John McCain, some went to Obama, and some just wont vote.

My take, I like what Paul stands for, but he lost the election and needs to stop whining. He can try again next time. This whole "lets give a counter convention" thing was extremely tacky and showed what a sore looser he is.
You don't get it. It isn't about an election. We aren't bitter at all. Instead of talking about lipstick and preachers, we're talking about the economy, our civil liberties, and what consequences an interventionist foreign policy means for our future generations. Try figuring out where the those two stand on any of those issues. Aside from pandering, I doubt you're really going to get a straight answer. They need every supporter, even the tentative ones, just to stay neck and neck? If either candidate really represented change, they'd be marginalized like some of the other primary candidates, including Ron Paul.

So you guys go ahead and play your fiddles while Rome burns. We'll be out voting our conscience not caring whether you think it's bitterness or stupidity. Most of us are well versed on the issues and think what passes for debate in this forum (and the media since that's where it begins) belongs in kindergarten rather than in a Presidential election debate.

Remember, 500+ voters made a difference in 2000. Ron Paul got a couple million votes. As of now, I'll be voting for Bob Barr knowing that I can only expect him to stand by what he says rather than his record in the Senate.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:15 AM

8,678 posts, read 12,696,215 times
Unfortunately, I agree and Ron Paul supporters will not be a significant factor: as mentioned, mostly likely his supporters will disperse their vote more or less proportionally among the two major candidates, the alternative party candidates, and no vote.

In my view, Ron Paul's most important policy issue is monetary reform.

The fact is right now that people in power, regardless of party (they're really the same) are hell-bent on raiding the treasury, and there is greater risk of rapacious redistributive fiscal policy, on top of the already rapacious redistributive monetary policy, than there is the opportunity for monetary policy reform.

Ron Paul deserves credit for being the only standing politician to recognize the main root of the country's economic imbalances, but not only are the bulk of the people in power in no mood right now to address the problem, they are poised to exacerbate it.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:20 AM

7,730 posts, read 13,447,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
In my view, Ron Paul's most important policy issue is monetary reform.

The fact is right now that people in power, regardless of party (they're really the same) are hell-bent on raiding the treasury, and there is greater risk of rapacious redistributive fiscal policy, on top of the already rapacious redistributive monetary policy, than there is the opportunity for monetary policy reform.
A couple Republicans have stood up since the Freddie/Fannie takeover. They're calling for the resignation of both Bernanke and Paulson.

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

He wasn't even wearing lipstick when he said it.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:26 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,330,785 times
I think that many of the Hillary people that gag at the thought of rollin' with Obama and can't quite pull the lever for McCain will be well served to show some spunk and punch Ron Paul (all the way through ) on their butterfly ballot. Yes, the Republicans and their base are pretty fired up and the dream of the left that somehow Paul or Barr will have some kind of Perot effect on the election are sadly mistaken. I know you're hopin' and prayin' ...but naw ain't gonna happen.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:36 AM

8,678 posts, read 12,696,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
A couple Republicans have stood up since the Freddie/Fannie takeover. They're calling for the resignation of both Bernanke and Paulson.

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

He wasn't even wearing lipstick when he said it.
Thank you for this link. But the article only mentions the good senator from Kentucky, unless I missed something.

Who are the others?

Are he and they up for re-election? Do you know of a pressure group that focuses on monetary policy reform?

Old 09-11-2008, 03:51 AM

4,427 posts, read 5,627,773 times
I think it was very underhanded at how ron paul was treated throughout the election...
he was talked over.. talked down to.. and written off... only to later be called up to endorse their republican candidate... those neo-cons have a lot of nerve...
If I were a ron paul supporter.. I'd write his name in and stand by what I believed..
I think paul should run third party.... and I would hope that he isn't the last to do so..

Old 09-11-2008, 05:45 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,470,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post

He is not bitter nor a "looser".....(spelled loser). He is a pissed off American, as we all should be, and is pissed off that this election has come down to who can disprove the most negative facts about their political and personal lives. Mccains camp has already said "it's not about the issues". How that got by you lemmings is beyond me.

Obama himself is inexperienced and is constantly putting his foot in his mouth. Why do we have to settle for these two based on this ridiculous, antiquated two party system?

Ron Paul's beef is that while speaking on the issues and having good ideas, he is drowned out by the playground joke fest that the election of our President and "LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD" has become. Obama and Mccain followers should be demanding more from their parties and wondering why the best people are not on the ballots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections