Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 03:42 PM

179 posts, read 199,453 times

Advertisements

Please be honest here. You are posting anonymously on an internet message board so you can give us your true feelings while not angering the party leaders.

Palin will be a heartbeat away from the presidency. This notion has significant poignancy in this case because, statistically, it is VERY likely McCain will die in the next few years, particularly given his recurrent melanoma. Do not make these questions about Obama - these are about Palin only. I don't care if relatively speaking you think McCain's ticket is better - just defend your pick

So tell me this: do you think 1) She is capable of intelligently making decisions like troop deployment, going to war, or negotiating with world leaders? If so, why do you think this?

2) Do you think she has a serious grasp of economic issues, financial institutions, and the like? Does she even understand basic economic theory?

3) Do you think she understands how complex the modern administrative state in the federal government is, and will be able to navigate that system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 03:47 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Guess we'll know better after hearing her in some interviews and discussions. On the surface, she certainly appears sufficiently competent.

Nobody makes these decisions in a vacuum, they all have multiple expert advisors and staff to discuss alternative approaches and strategies. Her background certainly seems at least as extensive as Obama's, do you have similar concerns about him too?

Last edited by NewToCA; 09-11-2008 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 09-11-2008, 03:52 PM

745 posts, read 1,297,085 times
I'm not a McCain/Palin supporter, but it would be tough to make that decision right now. She hasn't had any exposure to the american people except for her speech (which she has repeated several times) and whatever background information the right/left/media could scramble together.
We will find out what she is made of by election day, I suspect. Having said that, I did see her '06 governor's debate on CSPAN and she was unimpressive, but I wasn't likely to vote for McCain before the pick anyway.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:52 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,235 times
I'm not a Republican, but I will answer your question anyway. Yes I think that Palin is more qualified than Obama and she is only running for VP. As to your statements about McCain's melanoma, I assume that you are aware that he has been cancer free for 8 years. Also in case you weren't aware, even if the cancer recurred, you don't keel over dead from melanoma. It is a heart attack that usually causes that to happen. Since Obama is a smoker, he is probably more at risk for a heart attack than McCain.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:59 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
She makes executive decisions every day as Governor of Alaska. She deals with an economy, taxes, revenues, budgets, surpluses every day as Governor.

Yes, she is more than qualified.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:10 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Her past has proven she can handle it and people who know her and are either in politics or have worked with her and know what kind of qualifications a VP should have, know she can do the job and I'm proud that she is chosen although she wasn't on the list of VP's that I expected.

Many people are looking into her life, past, etc...and haven't come up with serious issues. Of course not everybody will agree with her on all points, and neither will I, but het views come closer to mine than the other party has....they are so far off with my beliefs and views on issues, that she is the onve for VP and although my first pick would have been Romney, I do see now that Romney fits better in another post in the McCain?Palin government...he should be great for something with Economy or Financials.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:13 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
This is the answer in her words. It has nothing to do with all this OBAMA cloud of confusion.

Could she "know" more? Of course. Could she have more character and guts? NOPE. That's what seperates real people from Hollywood versions. I include Hillary in the readiness category too.

PALIN: I -- I answered him yes because I have the confidence in that readiness and knowing that you can't blink, you have to be wired in a way of being so committed to the mission, the mission that we're on, reform of this country and victory in the war, you can't blink.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:19 PM

745 posts, read 1,297,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
She makes executive decisions every day as Governor of Alaska. She deals with an economy, taxes, revenues, budgets, surpluses every day as Governor.

Yes, she is more than qualified.
Everything you mentioned is budget-related. She has never had to deal with the massive deficits on a national scale. Alaska's biggest problem was whether to give massive oil revenues back to the taxpayers or spend it by expanding government programs. As US state budgets go, AK is the exception, not the rule.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:21 PM

745 posts, read 2,208,461 times
Though not a Republican, I do not think she is qualified. She's only been on the job 2 years and realistically is limited to that much experience. Mayor of a small town shouldn't be on a VP's resume unless it's a joke. She seems very charismatic, and intelligent, so she may be prepared one day to be on a Presidential ticket, though not yet.

In the same vein though, Obama is not qualified either. He's only been on the job for 4 years, 2 of which he's been running for President. Being a state senator or community organizer shouldn't be on your Presidential resume unless it's a joke. If you look at days on the job, it's even less working days than Palin has been Governor of Alaska. He seems very charismatic, and intelligent, so he may be prepared one day to be on the Presidential ticket, though not yet.

So do I want an inexperienced President who will takeover on day one. Or do I want an inexperience Vice-President who may or may not takeover at some point over the next 4 years?

So judging by my standards, neither Obama or Palin are prepared and I'd rather have the ill-prepared person on the second spot on the ticket.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:22 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
I'm not a Republican, but Palin is as qualified as Obama is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections