Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:09 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,033,664 times

Advertisements

"Sarah Palin on God:
GIBSON: You said recently, in your old church, "Our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God." Are we fighting a holy war?
PALIN: You know, I don't know if that was my exact quote.
GIBSON: Exact words."

ABC News: EXCERPTS: Charlie Gibson Interviews Sarah Palin

How many people truly believe that Iraq is a task from God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 12:23 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,576,617 times
This is the stuff that scares me personally. Whenever the name "God" is invoked in making a decision that the rest of us have to live with.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:27 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,444,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
Bush for sure, he claims God told him to invade Iraq. It appears that PitPalin doesn't doubt it either.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:28 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,387,000 times
Here is the full text. Nice crop job.

“Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending [U.S. soldiers] out on a task that is from God,” she exhorted the congregants. “That’s what we have to make sure that we’re praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God’s plan.”

That's just a little different.

And, this is a prayer; not a policy statement. She's praying that the task is following God's will.

Christians are weird like that; we're always going on about how we hope we're doing the right thing.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:30 PM

7 posts, read 26,941 times
You go, bbkaren!

I'm really looking forward to the end of this election. Thankfully, we'll end up with the man GOD wants in office, otherwise he wouldn't be there, right?

Old 09-12-2008, 12:32 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,387,000 times
Well, WTMA, here's an analogy.

If Obama gets elected, we'd pray that he's the right person for the job and that his actions and decisions would be consistent with the will of God.

You can hope and pray whatever you want; I'm just saying what Christians tend to do.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:35 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,486,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
"Sarah Palin on God:
GIBSON: You said recently, in your old church, "Our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God." Are we fighting a holy war?
PALIN: You know, I don't know if that was my exact quote.
GIBSON: Exact words."

ABC News: EXCERPTS: Charlie Gibson Interviews Sarah Palin

The religious fanatics that we are fighting in the name of "Their" god is what they are viewing as a "Calling", it has no boarders and has been an undeclared war since far before 9/11 finely woke up "some" of America, seems that the others went back to sleep.

Funny how "they" know they are fighting a religious war, but most of us don't have a clue. What would blowing up a school yard of kids in a suicide attack prove other than the kids may be of a different religious sect...

So to answer your question, Yes it has become that, they are killing Christians and other Muslims that don't believe in their version of God...

Old 09-12-2008, 12:37 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,033,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Here is the full text. Nice crop job.

“Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending [U.S. soldiers] out on a task that is from God,” she exhorted the congregants. “That’s what we have to make sure that we’re praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God’s plan.”

That's just a little different.

And, this is a prayer; not a policy statement. She's praying that the task is following God's will.

Christians are weird like that; we're always going on about how we hope we're doing the right thing.
Man, this spin made me dizzy. What's her exact words look like to you if you read them backwards?

Old 09-12-2008, 12:40 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,123,212 times
hard right tendency profess that their will is god's will.
and your obligation is to obey and follow.
expansion of war and debt does not come from god.
sit down sarah.
i have had enough of daddy warbucks and lil orphan annie
0bama 08

Old 09-12-2008, 12:43 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,841,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
This is the stuff that scares me personally. Whenever the name "God" is invoked in making a decision that the rest of us have to live with.
You can read my previous posts to see I do not support the McCain/Palin ticket. However, do you realize she was speaking at a church? Of course she mentions God. If she said Jesus Christ our Lord & Saviour it would have been okay with me, and I'm Jewish! She never said the war was a task from God. She was praying that we're on the side of the righteous. I am a Democrat and think she's very unqualified, but Gibson was wrong in his interpretation.

On that note, do you realize this was the church in which she grew up and the pastor told the parishioners in 2004 that they would burn in hell if they voted for Kerry? This is not a rumor, because he was on CNN the other night. He said "I was only joking." Sure! Telling people in a sermon on Sunday that they won't make it into Heaven if they vote against President Bush is a joke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections