Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 01:47 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times

Advertisements

I was relatively young at the time, but does anyone remember a hullabaloo being made over Ferraro that even begins to approach the level of attention that Palin is getting?

I remember her running with Mondale, but at age 13, I wasn't keeping up with politics too much... Did the media attack her the way that they're attacking Palin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 02:42 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I was relatively young at the time, but does anyone remember a hullabaloo being made over Ferraro that even begins to approach the level of attention that Palin is getting?

I remember her running with Mondale, but at age 13, I wasn't keeping up with politics too much... Did the media attack her the way that they're attacking Palin?
She didn't hide from the media for weeks or demand special interviews like Palin. Keep in mind that most people didn't have lots of cable channels. I couldn't get cable in 1984 where I lived. Of course, there wasn't the internet either.

But she did say this recently in an interviews
[URL="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article4677831.ece"]Geraldine Ferraro accuses media over 'sexist' scrutiny of Sarah Palin - Times Online[/URL]

“People did not know how to deal with me, they went after my background . . . they went after my husband and family.” Within a month of her nomination Ms Ferraro, a New York Congresswoman of Italian descent, was besieged by questions over her experience, her family and her beliefs. Her husband, John Zaccaro, was falsely accused of having Mafia ties as a wave of allegations about his tax returns and real-estate deals broke over their family.

Nor were the attacks confined to the press. Asked what she thought of Ms Ferraro, Barbara Bush – the wife of the vice-president of the day – replied: “I can’t possibly say it, but it rhymes with rich.” The Reagan-Bush Administration won a 49-state landslide victory.

I just get angry because the Republicans don't think it's sexism unless the woman running for office is a Republican.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:26 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
That and people actually knew who she was prior to be selected as the VP nominee.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:25 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
She was running against Ronnie/Bush I ... the dem party knew it had no chance to win.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:13 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
I remember something about her husband's financial situation - they were investigating it for some reason.

But, with the internet and cable now, anything goes. And, that means we, as citizens, get to find out more about the candidates. We can't know everything, but I know enough about Palin from hearing her conservative views on abortion, birth control, sex education, etc. to know I wouldn't want her NEAR the WH.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:59 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Ferraro really did make the cracks in the political glass ceiling, and both female democrats and republicans owe her that. I was a teenager then, not very interested in politics but even so I do remember her husband and kids getting looked at much closer it seemed to me then dukakisis, reagans or bushs.
But, one thing to remember is how quickly and thoroughly obama threw ferraro under the bus this spring. I believe they even floated the vile slur 'racist' around. I do remember seeing her defend herself and wishing she was running again.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:12 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Ferraro really did make the cracks in the political glass ceiling, and both female democrats and republicans owe her that. I was a teenager then, not very interested in politics but even so I do remember her husband and kids getting looked at much closer it seemed to me then dukakisis, reagans or bushs.
But, one thing to remember is how quickly and thoroughly obama threw ferraro under the bus this spring. I believe they even floated the vile slur 'racist' around. I do remember seeing her defend herself and wishing she was running again.

Yes, I agree. That's one reason I didn't want to vote for Obama, but after watching McCain lately (he just doesn't make sense & he lies) along with his inane (or insane) selection of Sarah Palin, I have no choice. Also, his ads against Obama have gone way too far. I've lost my respect for McCain.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:01 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
how do you know that it was obama's campaign that "threw her under the bus"?

what i remember about gerry ferraro running in 1984 was the amount of curious onlookers that came to see her when she spoke outside in front of the Texas capitol bldg in austin, texas. the press dug into her husband's tax info, which was considered "off base" since he after all was not the one running for VP. there were whispered mafia connections. some thought that women would just go totally vote for this woman to be the first woman VP. that was not true then and i don't think that it's true now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections