Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 02:50 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

Sadly there is virtually no chance of it happening now. Since the Republicans have wrecked the budget and our economy with huge trillion dollar debts, there will be no money to pay for any new Federal programs. In fact existing programs will probably have to be curtailed including Medicare part D and SCHIP for children. That is really ashame. If we had not elected the Republicans, we would be enjoying a budget surplus and be able to do things for the American people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 03:16 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Oh, but of course there will be money. McCain's health care proposal involves eliminating employer-paid benefits. This will only have the minor side effect of dumping more than 20 million Americans into the category of self-payment. The tax breaks handed out to employers (who no longer have to worry about those bothersome healthcare payments) will cause the economy to skyrocket, thereby funding a new Golden Age for the United States.

Of course, this utopian promise could come crashing down all around us if that Democrat should happen to win the election.

And in case anyone thinks I'm in any way a McCain supporter, let me assure you that my tongue has been planted firmly in cheek this whole time (except for the part about his healthcare proposal, which I find both frightening and completely outrageous).

Old 09-20-2008, 03:18 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Sadly there is virtually no chance of it happening now.
Every cloud has a silver lining.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:19 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,336 times
"We can kiss National Healtchare Goodbye"

YAYYY!!!!

Don't like that? Then eat cake!

Old 09-20-2008, 03:20 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
San Francisco has its own universal health care system that seems to be working well. I think maybe if the Feds cant get their act together on nationalized health care, individual cities and states could come up with their own.

And doesnt Medi Care already cover millions of people who wouldnt otherwise have any health care?

Ultimately I would like to see nationalized health care but we are way to split on the issue and now too broke for it to ever happen.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:23 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
San Francisco has its own universal health care system that seems to be working well. I think maybe if the Feds cant get their act together on nationalized health care, individual cities and states could come up with their own.
That's what I've been advocating all along. STATE'S RIGHTS. Let the STATE decide if it wants to implement such an expensive program. Massachusetts has done it, and if that's what the people there want, great. I am VEHEMENTLY against a federal health care program, though. It's simply not their job.

Quote:
And doesnt Medi Care already cover millions of people who wouldnt otherwise have any health care?
Yes, and it (+ Medicaid) takes up roughly half the federal budget.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:33 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times
Well, at least the lack of money will force the US to withdraw from Iraq sooner rather than later. With taxpayers on the hook to shell out $700 billion to bail out Wall Street, an indefinite occupation in Iraq will only become less palatable.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:34 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
That's what I've been advocating all along. STATE'S RIGHTS. Let the STATE decide if it wants to implement such an expensive program. Massachusetts has done it, and if that's what the people there want, great. I am VEHEMENTLY against a federal health care program, though. It's simply not their job.
Im leaning towards leaving it up to states and/or cities and counties. Some places just dont want it.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:35 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Kev, you need to cheer up.

Your posts lately are so defeatist.

I have faith that no matter which way the election goes, our national health care travesty will continue to be addressed. Don't worry. There are enough of us wacko leftist Commie tree-huggers left who DON'T like seeing old women die in the streets of one of the richest nations on earth, still around. We'll keep working on it.

Chin up, for heaven's sake, Kev.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:43 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Well, at least the lack of money will force the US to withdraw from Iraq sooner rather than later. With taxpayers on the hook to shell out $700 billion to bail out Wall Street, an indefinite occupation in Iraq will only become less palatable.
Nah- they'll just keep the printing presses running and borrow even more from China. Why should a little hiccup like this keep us from pissing away billions on a country that has the money to pay us back while we babysit them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections