Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:21 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times

Advertisements

Hypothetical Situation:

You are a member of an independent 3rd party (for the sake of this discussion it doesn't matter which one) Being a realist, you aren't naive enough to believe your candidate could actually get elected. Everyone knows it's going to be either Obama, or McCain, and not who you want.

Do you...

A. Vote for your candidate anyway, knowing he/she can't win. You want to "make a protest statement" with your vote. You want to let everyone know what you think..."you'll go down fighting"...

or...

B. Vote for either Obama or McCain, picking the one who you believe is the "next best" candidate, after the one who you really want. This way, you believe the worst candidate won't win by default, (because you have "thrown away a vote" on a non-winner. If enough independant voters do this, the worst candidate might get elected...)...

PS: Yes, I am an independant. And yes, I am asking myself these same questions....

Thanks,
Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 09-16-2008 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 05:29 PM

114 posts, read 207,560 times
A. I can not in good conscience vote for either Obama or McCain. I have been told numerous times I am wasting my vote but I vote for the person I feel would do the best job. More people would do the same if they weren’t intimidated into being one of the sheep. I find it laughable that both major parties are going around talking about change. No matter who wins in November it will be more of the same.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:38 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,252,387 times
B. There is too much at stake this time around to let McCain completely sink the ship.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:51 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,156 times
Quote:
PS: Yes, I am an independant. And yes, I am asking myself these same questions....
I'm having that very same debate with myself. I've never gone 3rd party before but my instinct is to do so now. What gives that instinct pause is that even though I voted for Bush in 2000 (god help me) I can't deny the effect Nader had on the outcome. My fear is that something similar will happen this time around and I would hate for McCain to get in because I voted 3rd party.

Can I check Obama? I honestly don't know but I know I cannot, will not vote McCain. I'll probably decide right before going in to vote, toward the end of the day when I have some idea how things are looking. If Obama appears safe and then its going to be 3rd party. If not...I may have to squeeze my eyes shut and just do the evil of voting for him anyway.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
If anyone wants to start a moderate 3rd party, let me know. My husband would probably join. He's leaning toward Obama this time.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:54 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby61 View Post
A. I can not in good conscience vote for either Obama or McCain. I have been told numerous times I am wasting my vote but I vote for the person I feel would do the best job. More people would do the same if they weren’t intimidated into being one of the sheep. I find it laughable that both major parties are going around talking about change. No matter who wins in November it will be more of the same.
The idea that both candidates are "the same" is what helped get Bush elected over Gore in 2000. Turn the time machine back eight years and run the alternate reality with Gore as president. Look at foreign policy/diplomacy. Look at health care. Look at global warming. Look at civil liberties. Look at any decision that obviously and blatantly favored Big Oil, Big Tobacco, Big-Fill-in-The-Blank.

Still think both candidates/parties are "the same"?

Yes, they're all owned by corporations or special interests. Yes, they're all automatons marching to the latest poll instead of to any actual principals.

But in close elections, you have to admit there are differences between the two parties and vote for the lesser evil.

Obviously, I slant towards the environment and civil liberty. Others may slant towards business and religion. Vote with your slant.

For the record, in the past, I've voted for both McCain and Perot. Didn't vote Nader-- the race was too close. Won't be voting McCain this time around.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:05 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
C. Vote defensively. What ever party appears will win control of the Legislature, vote the other party to the Presidency. That way, uncontrolled power, like we had in 2000, won't be duplicated. Make parties work together to get anything done.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:14 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,962 times
A. Vote for your candidate anyway

Because look where B has gotten us for the last 20 years... I personally have had enough of it.

I don't think of it as "throwing my vote away", I think of it as a "vote of no confidence" for the two major parties.

Will a third party candidate win? 99% probability he/she wont. There are way too many Repub / Dem Cool-aid drinkers out there to overcome it plus the mass media will not let that happen. What do I mean by "the mass media will not let that happen"? Where are the serious debates between all the candidates (ESPECIALLY OBAMA!)?

Old 09-16-2008, 08:34 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
A. Vote for your candidate anyway

Because look where B has gotten us for the last 20 years... I personally have had enough of it.

Good point! Rep for you....

Bud

Old 09-16-2008, 09:11 PM

244 posts, read 865,553 times
Under normal circumstances, I would choose option A but this year, I am essentially forced to go with option B. I absolutely cannot, in good conscience, vote for Cynthia McKinney (Green Party) or Bob Barr (Libertarians). I am actually considering skipping over the presidential portion of the ballot altogether. Surely, we have better options than what we're being given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections