U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-19-2008, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Wantagh NY
690 posts, read 941,369 times
Reputation: 142

Advertisements

Hi all,
I admit it, I MUST be an elitist! Do I have a lot of money? Nope... Do I have more that one house? Nope... Do I think I am better than everybody? Nope...(well except for some on here ). So why do I say I am an elitist?

Because I am scared to death of a possible president who says, and I quote “needs some shakin’ up and some fixin" when it comes to this financial mess!

Because this woman says the same damn thing OVER and OVER again at every one of her speeches! Does she not know how to speak without the script? (OK my bad, see complaint #1) How many times do we have to hear “I told the Congress, ‘Thanks, but no thanks,’ on that Bridge to Nowhere. If our state wanted to build a bridge, we were going to build it ourselves.” and then after that little statement being proven to be a lie, she says it 12 more times!

Will someone please give her a new script? PLEASE!
Now we all know she is not running for POTUS, but she IS running for VP. That person has had more power in the past (see Dick Cheney) and if this 72 year old man becomes ill, she will be in charge!

How many times do we have to hear McCain is a war hero? Believe me, I have not forgotten! We also know all politicians lie, right? So why does McCain do it not only so much but so blatantly? He must know there are people out there who do nothing but fact check!

OK... So I must be an elitist because I want a SMART president. One who has gone to a great school. (Better than mine for sure!) I want a president who speaks properly...and who will not make me feel embarrassed when I see them talking to some important leader from another country. (Think Bush!) I want someone who doesn't act like they are better than everybody else who thinks they knows everything! I want someone who doesn't make serious decisions in a "blink of an eye". I want someone who thinks like my grandparents did when they me to keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. I want a president who will speak to bad people first before threatening war.

Sorry for the long rant but I just do not think this country can survive 4 more years

Flame suit on...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2008, 01:13 PM
 
Location: in the southwest
13,395 posts, read 42,149,111 times
Reputation: 13461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian View Post
Hi all,
I want someone who thinks like my grandparents did when they me to keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. I want a president who will speak to bad people first before threatening war.
I agree with just about everything you say, but the above is what is most important to me.
I just don't see McCain/Palin succeeding in that department; they have not demonstrated to me that they understand, let alone truly care about, the importance of world affairs. I am *not* a Blame America First person, but IMHO we do share a common interest with the rest of the planet, and need to act accordingly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 01:24 PM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,695,116 times
Reputation: 2884
I won't flame you. Mccain/palin is a weak ticket. How mccain got the nomination baffles me as much as when W got it back in 2000.
But be fair and objective...is obama ready? I think this run for president was his way to get his name known nationally -- I fully expect he was surprised by his momentum as hillary was. Basically, what I am saying is maybe Obama would have been in a better position to run in 2012 (not saying he can't win now, just that he may have been more prepared to run later).
And biden?! Really?
There is no way on earth Hillary was ever going to take a number two position -- I do see her accepting a post on obamas cabinet though. The rest of the also rans? Not a great bunch to pick from there either. A very similiar story to the bunch that was running on the rep side of things.
Where is Mr Smith when you need him?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 01:27 PM
 
3,691 posts, read 4,257,325 times
Reputation: 1611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian View Post
Hi all,
I admit it, I MUST be an elitist! Do I have a lot of money? Nope... Do I have more that one house? Nope... Do I think I am better than everybody? Nope...(well except for some on here ). So why do I say I am an elitist?



OK... So I must be an elitist because I want a SMART president. One who has gone to a great school. (Better than mine for sure!) I want a president who speaks properly...and who will not make me feel embarrassed when I see them talking to some important leader from another country.

I want someone who thinks like my grandparents did when they me to keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. I want a president who will speak to bad people first before threatening war.
Republicans do not have a problem with your, or the president's, being a well-educated "elitist", but have a problem with a group of people such as the media and leftist politicians deciding that this country is not "enlightened enough" and not "moving left fast enough". All of this "accelerated enlightenment", such as by the judiciary, brings resentment from the right. It smacks of a small group of people setting themselves up as a governing, "elitist" class that steals government OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE, AND FOR THE PEOPLE and usurps the voters because they themselves think ONLY THEY can correctly interpret the Constitution and administer the government from a heavy-handed, top-down method rather than through the will of THE PEOPLE (who typically don't regard themselves as elitist). But the very basis of a democracy is a trust in the will of the entire electorate, not in the wisdom of "the intelligentsia" and "the elite".

Vote for whomever you think is NOT ONLY most capable, but most likely to govern by the will of the people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 01:32 PM
 
4,608 posts, read 7,577,915 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian View Post
Hi all,
I admit it, I MUST be an elitist! Do I have a lot of money? Nope... Do I have more that one house? Nope... Do I think I am better than everybody? Nope...(well except for some on here ). So why do I say I am an elitist?

Because I am scared to death of a possible president who says, and I quote “needs some shakin’ up and some fixin" when it comes to this financial mess!

Because this woman says the same damn thing OVER and OVER again at every one of her speeches! Does she not know how to speak without the script? (OK my bad, see complaint #1) How many times do we have to hear “I told the Congress, ‘Thanks, but no thanks,’ on that Bridge to Nowhere. If our state wanted to build a bridge, we were going to build it ourselves.” and then after that little statement being proven to be a lie, she says it 12 more times!

Will someone please give her a new script? PLEASE!
Now we all know she is not running for POTUS, but she IS running for VP. That person has had more power in the past (see Dick Cheney) and if this 72 year old man becomes ill, she will be in charge!

How many times do we have to hear McCain is a war hero? Believe me, I have not forgotten! We also know all politicians lie, right? So why does McCain do it not only so much but so blatantly? He must know there are people out there who do nothing but fact check!

OK... So I must be an elitist because I want a SMART president. One who has gone to a great school. (Better than mine for sure!) I want a president who speaks properly...and who will not make me feel embarrassed when I see them talking to some important leader from another country. (Think Bush!) I want someone who doesn't act like they are better than everybody else who thinks they knows everything! I want someone who doesn't make serious decisions in a "blink of an eye". I want someone who thinks like my grandparents did when they me to keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. I want a president who will speak to bad people first before threatening war.

Sorry for the long rant but I just do not think this country can survive 4 more years

Flame suit on...
I think it's great that you can enumerate the reasons you don't like McCain/Palin and the things you'd prefer to in a Prez to make you feel better about your country. Window dressing is broadly accepted criteria for election choices.

What I would like to hear is what you may not like about 'bama/Biden. Socialism? Forced community service? Can't decide whether he's white or black? His service to the Gamaliel Foundation? His relationship with the Annenberg Foundation?

Or, if you're really just one of the sycophants for 'bama that's okay, too. Just admit it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 02:23 PM
 
1,867 posts, read 3,796,533 times
Reputation: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Republicans do not have a problem with your, or the president's, being a well-educated "elitist", but have a problem with a group of people such as the media and leftist politicians deciding that this country is not "enlightened enough" and not "moving left fast enough". All of this "accelerated enlightenment", such as by the judiciary, brings resentment from the right. It smacks of a small group of people setting themselves up as a governing, "elitist" class that steals government OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE, AND FOR THE PEOPLE and usurps the voters because they themselves think ONLY THEY can correctly interpret the Constitution and administer the government from a heavy-handed, top-down method rather than through the will of THE PEOPLE (who typically don't regard themselves as elitist). But the very basis of a democracy is a trust in the will of the entire electorate, not in the wisdom of "the intelligentsia" and "the elite".

Vote for whomever you think is NOT ONLY most capable, but most likely to govern by the will of the people.
How is this Bush policy of avoiding subpoenas that McCain's team is advising Palin evidence that they will be a "government for the people"? Nope, they are showing that they want to run an authoritarian government like the Bush administration, who believes at every turn that it can avoid the oversight of Congress. This is a really serious issue and its really frightening the way they are already doing this and haven't even won the election (e.g. Troopergate, which was implemented by a majority of REPUBLICANS -- so no avoiding because she unilaterally suggests it is a partisan effort). She should go to court if she wants to avoid a subpoena.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 22,446,977 times
Reputation: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian View Post
Hi all,
I admit it, I MUST be an elitist! Do I have a lot of money? Nope... Do I have more that one house? Nope... Do I think I am better than everybody? Nope...(well except for some on here ). So why do I say I am an elitist?

Because I am scared to death of a possible president who says, and I quote “needs some shakin’ up and some fixin" when it comes to this financial mess!

Because this woman says the same damn thing OVER and OVER again at every one of her speeches! Does she not know how to speak without the script? (OK my bad, see complaint #1) How many times do we have to hear “I told the Congress, ‘Thanks, but no thanks,’ on that Bridge to Nowhere. If our state wanted to build a bridge, we were going to build it ourselves.” and then after that little statement being proven to be a lie, she says it 12 more times!

Will someone please give her a new script? PLEASE!
Now we all know she is not running for POTUS, but she IS running for VP. That person has had more power in the past (see Dick Cheney) and if this 72 year old man becomes ill, she will be in charge!

How many times do we have to hear McCain is a war hero? Believe me, I have not forgotten! We also know all politicians lie, right? So why does McCain do it not only so much but so blatantly? He must know there are people out there who do nothing but fact check!

OK... So I must be an elitist because I want a SMART president. One who has gone to a great school. (Better than mine for sure!) I want a president who speaks properly...and who will not make me feel embarrassed when I see them talking to some important leader from another country. (Think Bush!) I want someone who doesn't act like they are better than everybody else who thinks they knows everything! I want someone who doesn't make serious decisions in a "blink of an eye". I want someone who thinks like my grandparents did when they me to keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. I want a president who will speak to bad people first before threatening war.

Sorry for the long rant but I just do not think this country can survive 4 more years

Flame suit on...
I agree with that. I am a fairly smart blue collar guy with a college degree and I sure as hell don't think I am qualified to run the United States of America. The last 8 years have shown us what having a total dumb ass in that office brings.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Wantagh NY
690 posts, read 941,369 times
Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post

What I would like to hear is what you may not like about 'bama/Biden.
Or, if you're really just one of the sycophants for 'bama that's okay, too. Just admit it.
I have a pretty big problem with Obama and that is his stance on immigration.
On this topic I am absolutely know body will agree with me...
I say:

1, Close the boarders...seal them up tight with a one way door - OUT only. From this day forward "new rules"!
2, If you are working hear and sending money "home", then you need to return home!
3, If you are here, and are productive in this society then you can stay.
4, If you are hear illegally and found, you background should be checked...if you are a menace, a criminal, etc. you get sent "home". All others can stay .
5, Take the statue of Liberty, put it on a barge and give it a good swift kick back to France with a note that says "Thank you very much for this fine statue however we have found it has not worked out to well"


Told you I was alone on that one...I know, pretty extreme.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top