Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 01:45 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,466,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
We pay more but get less in return because the red states have all these needs.

Fine, I dont mind.

But your welcome.
I live in a blue state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 01:45 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,415,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Why don't wealthy Democrats who believe in wealth redistribution just voluntarily give away all their money to those who are less fortunate?

This is the Obama philosophy isn't it? Wealthy folks who believe in this don't need to be forced by law to redistribute wealth. What are they waiting for? The middle class needs help now. Right?
Perhaps you could provide us with a list of "Wealthy Dems" who participate in philanthropic endeavors and another for those who do not?

Or are you just pulling this out of your arse again?

Old 09-20-2008, 01:47 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,228,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Likewise, why don't all Republicans that are anti-abortion go out and adopt at least 1 unwnted child a piece?
Ah, I see. Other people should have to take responsibility for other's mistakes. This fits very well with typical "hand-out" logic.

What happened to personal responsibility? Taking ownership of your mistakes?

That's why I will vote Libertarian!

Old 09-20-2008, 01:51 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,500,873 times
Warren Buffet, who supports Obama, is the wealthiest American (on days when Bill Gates, another Obama supporter, isn't). You must have heard that Buffet and Gates have teamed up and formed a philanthropic foundation to give a big chunk of their wealth to charity.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:53 PM

315 posts, read 759,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Seems to me that the tanking of Wall Street indicates that it's the Republicans who want to give our money away. And it's a Republican administration that is now making the American people pay for these shenanigans.
First of all we are gonna benefit from the government bailing out the lehman brothers and AIG. If we don't have loans companies to lend us money for houses, cars etc then most of us middle class people will never be able to get those things. So once again you guys have made a point as to why republicans can make better business decisions for our country.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:57 PM

375 posts, read 779,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Ah, I see. Other people should have to take responsibility for other's mistakes. This fits very well with typical "hand-out" logic.

What happened to personal responsibility? Taking ownership of your mistakes?

That's why I will vote Libertarian!
Apparently you don't see - What happened to Less Government?

Repubs supposedly want less Government interference in every-day citizens personal lives, yet they want the right to stand in your bedroom and decide what type of sex you have and whether or not a woman can make a personal decision about her womb and her future.

That's why I'm voting Barack/Biden!

Old 09-20-2008, 02:26 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,466,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Perhaps you could provide us with a list of "Wealthy Dems" who participate in philanthropic endeavors and another for those who do not?

Or are you just pulling this out of your arse again?
According to this survey by the U.S. Census Bureau, 1,324,000 American's ( of all races ) made more than $250,000 in 2007. The mean income in that group was over $400,000.

How many do you think are Democrats? More than a couple.

Males
PINC-11--Part 1 (http://pubdb3.census.gov/macro/032008/perinc/new11_001.htm - broken link)

Females
PINC-11--Part 2 (http://pubdb3.census.gov/macro/032008/perinc/new11_002.htm - broken link)

I'm not talking about philanthropy. I'm talking about wealth redistribution. Let's see well to do Democrats redistribute their wealth. The movement of funds from one bank account to another. Those with more will have less and those with less will have more. Simply stated, this should make things better for more people.

If that's what Democrats want, what are they waiting for?

Old 09-20-2008, 02:46 PM

2,885 posts, read 7,100,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
. . .I'm not talking about philanthropy. I'm talking about wealth redistribution. Let's see well to do Democrats redistribute their wealth. The movement of funds from one bank account to another. Those with more will have less and those with less will have more. Simply stated, this should make things better for more people.

If that's what Democrats want, what are they waiting for?
As you say, *you* are talking about wealth redistribution. That's not what the wealthy democrats are talking about or looking for. They're looking to live in a society that provides opportunity for all of its everyday citizens, poor, middle class, rich, etc. and they're willing to do it by paying higher taxes.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:51 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,158,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
As you say, *you* are talking about wealth redistribution. That's not what the wealthy democrats are talking about or looking for. They're looking to live in a society that provides opportunity for all of its everyday citizens, poor, middle class, rich, etc. and they're willing to do it by paying higher taxes.
Excellent.

They just dont get it.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:56 PM

34,109 posts, read 18,354,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
And what is done with the revenue form the higher taxes? Well, that is even suspect because higher tax RATES often don't produce higher tax REVENUES as the economy slows. Money is redistributed through subsidies, checks in the mail as a "tax rebate" when the poor don't pay any taxes. SO the money is given to the poor in various ways. That's redistribution. The people that want to get ahead still can without throwing more money at them. Its failed since LBJ, its going to work now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections