Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 12:26 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times

Advertisements

The opening skit of last night's SNL exposed the truth-twisting - and outright lying - that's (necessarily!) at the heart of right wing political advertising, and showed John McCain to be complicit yet used - helpless, hapless and clueless. In good teaching style it repeated the point three times.

This really isn't directed to old school conservative Republicans; it's meant for Sean-Rush fans, people who are suckered by feel-good right wing propaganda - whose fears and prejudices the infamous New Yorker cover was mirroring. Do you recognize in the skit the truth-twisting that the right wing blogs and talking heads have been feeding you all this time? It's all laid out in the skit. Video is here on the front page, called "McCain Approves":

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/

(The already-classic Tina Fey Palin opener is there too of course.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 12:37 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,309,850 times
UGH regarding your post.

I am a regular watcher of SNL and have been for 25+ years.
I am also a believer in the smallest government and least taxes possible.
I believe as Jefferson said, "The government that governs least, governs best".

Still even as a 'right winger' by your definition (I'm sure), I found the skit amusing just as much as last weeks parody of Palin.
FWIW I rarely listen to Rush, and abhor Fox News. I prefer to watch/listen to as many sources as possible and form my own views.
I would classify myself as a Reagan Conservative.

Honestly I see our two choices and think "Out of a nation of 280 million these two are the best we've got?!"

The difference between you and me is that I did not see it as a swipe at the Right.
I just saw it as funny.
No different than when I chuckle at the Hillary & President Clinton jabs they do regularly.
IMHO it is all good, it is funny. It is all comedy, that is their business...

You are welcomed to pay MORE of your hard earned money in taxes, the government will gladly accept it! Just keep your hands out of my pocket.

Last edited by mullman; 09-21-2008 at 01:06 PM..

Old 09-21-2008, 12:55 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,764,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The opening skit of last night's SNL exposed the truth-twisting - and outright lying - that's (necessarily!) at the heart of right wing political advertising, and showed John McCain to be complicit yet used - helpless, hapless and clueless. In good teaching style it repeated the point three times.
Wow, delu, you gettin' your "news" from SNL now. And yet, you mis-characterize all of us who do listen to Rush and Sean. I promise you, I only listen to R&S for the comedy. You should do the same with SNL, otherwise, it'll eat you alive!

Old 09-21-2008, 12:55 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,311 times
[quote=mullman;5359775]UGH regarding your post.

Still even as a 'right winger' by your definition (I'm sure), I found the skit amusing just as much as last weeks parody of Palin.
FWIW I rarely listen to Rush, and abhor Fox News. I prefer to watch/listen to as many sources as possible and form my own views.

The difference between you and me is that I did not see it as a swipe at the Right.
I just saw it as funny.
No different than when I chuckle at the Hillary & President Clinton jabs they do occasionally.

You are welcomed to pay MORE of your hard earned money in taxes, the government will gladly accept it! Just keep your hands out of my pocket.[/quote]

Sadly you're out of luck after this past week! They've now got their hands in *all* our pockets and for many years to come until this mess is finally straightened out... Either McCain or Obama will have a nightmarish job on *their* hands.. The American people had better prepare to stop the blame game and support whomever is elected. He'll need all the help he can get!

Old 09-21-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Sadly you're out of luck after this past week! They've now got their hands in *all* our pockets and for many years to come until this mess is finally straightened out... Either McCain or Obama will have a nightmarish job on *their* hands.. The American people had better prepare to stop the blame game and support whomever is elected. He'll need all the help he can get!
True.

I am not a McCain fan at all, but I will choose him over Obama any day of the week.

At a certain point to be completely honest, if taxes get to 45+ % I will just quit working, fold my business and liquidate the assets. I will be fine, but there would be many families out of work. At a certain point work just loses its incentive as there are so many willing to live off the taxpayers, those that cannot survive without the heavy hand of government.
Johnson's Great Society is just a total failure.

You might want to read the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Gibbon:

click me

I fear we are living part deux.
(I do not say this with joy...)

Last edited by mullman; 09-21-2008 at 02:02 PM..

Old 09-21-2008, 01:45 PM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,645,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
True.

I am not a McCain fan at all, but I will choose him over Obama any day of the week.

At a certain point to be completely honest, if taxes get to 45+ % I will just quit working, fold my business and liquidate the assets. ....

Can I buy your hot dog cart since you won't be using it?

Old 09-21-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
UGH regarding your post.

Honestly I see our two choices and think "Out of a nation of 280 million these two are the best we've got?!"

I just saw it as funny.
No different than when I chuckle at the Hillary & President Clinton jabs they do regularly.

You are welcomed to pay MORE of your hard earned money in taxes, the government will gladly accept it! Just keep your hands out of my pocket.
As you rarely listen to Rush and abhor Fox News, it sounds as if you're basically an old school, genuine conservative Republican, not a neocon right fanatic - Im not sure what name there is for them, but I tried to describe them in the OP. They are the folks the skitis directed to - who might be made uncomfortable enough that they begin to mistrust political advertising and begin to think and research for themselves.

It also sounds as if you're disenchanted with the Bush White House. An Obama administration would do what it can in the time it will have to correct the wrongs done during that time, and on a PAYGO schedule. He has many of the world's most seasoned, nonpartisan financial minds backing him, and on Friday in fact he was meeting with some of his economic advisers to see what's happening and get a projection as to what to expect and what can be done (you'll remember that for the entire week before he went to Iraq Obama met with Wall Street and Washington people to learn about the economy). You might give a look to his tax plan, health care plan (wait til you see McCain's HCP by the way) etc. on his website, though I think they're the same planks that were on there last winter and Im sure the current economic climate has affected them.

Last edited by delusianne; 09-21-2008 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: added 2nd para

Old 09-21-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
True.

At a certain point to be completely honest, if taxes get to 45+ % I will just quit working, fold my business and liquidate the assets. I will be fine, but there would be many families out of work. At a certain point work just loses its incentive as there are so many willing to live off the taxpayers, those that cannot survive without the heavy hand of government.
Johnson's Great Society is just a total failure.

You might want to read the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Gibbon:

click me

I fear we are living part deux.
(I do not say this with joy...)
You've been totally played and misled about 45%*, and you might want to read The Court of Philip IV: Spain in Decadence by my beloved Martin Andrew Sharp (Hume):

The Court of Philip IV: Spain in ... - Google Book Search

* the current economic wont allow the social programs Obama proposed back in January and earlier, as he's pledged to that PAYGO system and refuses to continue to leverage the country but instead wants to rebuild it to strength, reform its deficiencies and set us firmly on course for a strong, competitive future. I hope you're not one of those people who think your taxes go to Cadillac vouchers for "welfare queens." Although realistically, a four-year McCain-President Lipstick puppet show will likely raise your taxes by much, because so many American will have been driven out of work by continued Bush-style fiscal policies.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
who might be made uncomfortable enough that they begin to mistrust political advertising and begin to think and research for themselves.
Advertising in general is an art, very similar to telling a story in such a way to make people believe enough in your product to 'buy' it.

I am aware of such and would still choose a McCain over an Obama.
Sorry. And I am tired of the war, not happy with Bush, etc.

With McCain's pick of Palin I feel I now have a reason to vote FOR McCain versus just AGAINST Obama.
Sad but true. Either way he was getting my vote by default.

But back to the OP's original post.
SNL was funny, no doubt, just as as laughed at their Reagan parodies back in the day (and still revere him as probably the greatest President in my lifetime thus far).

Old 09-21-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
Can I buy your hot dog cart since you won't be using it?
Maybe, but it will cost a bit more than a hotdog cart: 60K sf brick building on 12 acres, in a growth (so far) area...

Last edited by mullman; 09-21-2008 at 02:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections