Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 07:42 PM

451 posts, read 1,224,253 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/us...0w&oref=slogin

Is this a joke. She is going up for VP and they needed the rules changed. I was going to post this in the other politics forums, but it will just bring out the trolls. My problem with this is that she is going for the #2 spot and the rules have been modified for her benifit.

She knew the type of people she would have to square off against, and she has yet to face tough questions. She should have to go toe to toe with whomever her adversary is on the other side. Billary and Condi and even Cynthia McKinney woulda went head in with any whomover was sitting on the other table.

My thought is that she was picked to bring in the white female vote since they make up the largest group in america, and not actually be there to lead. I'm guessing that she would be more of a figure head and others would run the county from behind the scenes. Now this has been going on for a while, but now its apparent that the president is just going to be a figure head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 09:42 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,582,168 times
I'm appalled at this rules change and think that it is grossly unfair. If John McCain was truly that concerned about the ability of his VP pick to perform adequately in a debate situation, then he should have taken that into account when making his choice. If other factors outweighed that one, well then, he and his party should simply deal with the consequences. It's not as if they didn't already know who would be on the Democratic side of that debate either!

This is the "leveling the playing field" mentality at its worst. Hm, I don't recall Dan Quayle as being the most experienced debater either, but were the rules of the VP and Presidential debates constructed differently in order to take that into account? No they were not.

The old adage "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen" should clearly apply here but sadly has been twisted into "Let's lower the heat so that the rookie chef won't sweat." *sigh*

Old 09-21-2008, 04:14 PM

11,361 posts, read 24,307,127 times
It's almost too pathetic to debate.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:51 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,224,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
It's almost too pathetic to debate.
Agreed, LOL! Its way beyond pathetic. Its just hysterical. And if Hillary was on Obama's ticket and tried to pull this stunt, can you imagine the uproar? But the worst part is that Obama's camp agreed to it. I understand he needs to calculate his moves so that it doesn't look like he's beating up Palin, but this is just ridiculous.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:01 PM

3,931 posts, read 5,059,203 times
Default Help

I’m having trouble with the link. Would someone please quote the article here?

Old 09-21-2008, 06:08 PM

451 posts, read 1,224,253 times
Its gone the link is dead

At the insistence of the McCain (http://sharpynews.com/politics/sarah-palin/issues/mccain - broken link) campaign (http://sharpynews.com/politics/sarah-palin/issues/campaign - broken link), the Oct. 2 debate (http://sharpynews.com/politics/sarah-palin/issues/debate - broken link) between Gov. Sarah Palin and her Democratic rival, Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., will have shorter question-and-answer segments than those for the presidential nominees, the advisers said. There will also be much less opportunity for free-wheeling, direct exchanges between the running mates.
McCain (http://sharpynews.com/politics/sarah-palin/issues/mccain - broken link) advisers said they had been concerned that a loose format could leave Ms. Palin, a relatively inexperienced debater, at a disadvantage and largely on the defensive.

McCain (http://sharpynews.com/politics/sarah-palin/issues/mccain - broken link) advisers said they were only somewhat concerned about Ms. Palin’s debating skills compared with those of Mr. Biden, who has served six terms in the Senate (http://sharpynews.com/politics/sarah-palin/issues/senate - broken link), or about Mr. Biden’s chances of tripping up Ms. Palin. Instead, they say, they wanted Ms. Palin to have opportunities to present Mr. McCain (http://sharpynews.com/politics/sarah-palin/issues/mccain - broken link)’s positions, rather than spending time talking about her own experience or playing defense.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:09 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,582,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
But the worst part is that Obama's camp agreed to it. I understand he needs to calculate his moves so that it doesn't look like he's beating up Palin, but this is just ridiculous.
Unless the Dem's mindset is that by allowing this change to occur, with all the attendant publicity, it reinforces the fact (in the mind of the public) that Palin is truly SO inexperienced on the national stage that this modification was indeed necessary. Let's face it, nothing wil change the Palin supporters' minds but it might sway the multitude of Independents and undecideds. It definitely has everyone talking about it, that's for sure. Whereas if Obama's camp had said "No way" they'd have been perceived as the big kid setting up to beat up the wimp. But by agreeing, they're in effect saying to the McCain camp: "Hey, you guys are absolutely right; your candidate IS woefully underqualified for this experience, we can't argue with THAT!". So Obama's camp is now able to be patronizing without coming off as a bully.

Don't get me wrong: I think the whole idea of having different rules for the VP debate just because McCain picked this particular person, is abominable and should never have happened. But IMO the Obama camp may be making at least a little lemonade out of this particular lemon.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:13 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,025,865 times
Search for the article "Pact on Debates Will Let McCain and Obama Spar" on the NYT website

The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia

also at CD forum...
//www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...elp-sarah.html

Old 09-21-2008, 06:41 PM

11,361 posts, read 24,307,127 times
It is very sad. It's a very weak ticket but there are so many people who are blindly committed to the party that it won't change their minds in the least. Cute and perky is all that's necessary to bolster their enthusiasm.

Last edited by ellie; 09-21-2008 at 06:51 PM..

Old 09-21-2008, 06:57 PM

5,224 posts, read 4,981,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/us...0w&oref=slogin

Is this a joke. She is going up for VP and they needed the rules changed. I was going to post this in the other politics forums, but it will just bring out the trolls. My problem with this is that she is going for the #2 spot and the rules have been modified for her benifit.

She knew the type of people she would have to square off against, and she has yet to face tough questions. She should have to go toe to toe with whomever her adversary is on the other side. Billary and Condi and even Cynthia McKinney woulda went head in with any whomover was sitting on the other table.

My thought is that she was picked to bring in the white female vote since they make up the largest group in america, and not actually be there to lead. I'm guessing that she would be more of a figure head and others would run the county from behind the scenes. Now this has been going on for a while, but now its apparent that the president is just going to be a figure head.

I can't access the page. . can you repost.. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections