Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What say you?
I respect both presidential candidates 20 46.51%
I only respect one of the presidential candidates 23 53.49%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:44 AM

3,085 posts, read 7,249,055 times

Advertisements

Sure we're going to vote for 1 candidate, but can we agree to have respect for both candidates?

both McCain and Obama achieved a lot

i mean, i could understand someone not respecting Palin

for one, we've only known her . . . what 2 weeks? with only 2 interviews compared to Bidens 84 interviews

imo, Elliot Spitzer is more impressive

but i digress

this election is about McCain and Obama

can we just agree that, these are 2 respectable individuals?

Last edited by FreshFresh; 09-22-2008 at 01:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 01:57 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post

Sure we're going to vote for 1 candidate ...

... this election is about McCain and Obama
This kind of myopic view helps explain why our economy is becoming a rule-by-command system and our congressmen are all bought off.

The framers of the Constitution did not intend for presidential elections to be popularity contests.

We are supposed to be electing an entire government based on a system of checks and balances, president, the representatives of the States (the senators) and of the people for their local areas (the representatives).

Of course both candidates are respectable people.

The issue at least should be to determine how appropriate a fit one or the other would be in the system of checks and balances.

But our system is so broken that, indeed, it has been reduced to a popularity contest.

But, really, this is nothing new in history.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:01 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
I held McCain in high regard, until he began his campaign of vicious lies. Now? Screw 'em.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:26 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
I used to have a lot of respect for John McCain and was seriously considering voting for him as I've written in the past. However, the way he's run this campaign has changed the way I look at his character. I mean, even Karl Rove said McCain "has gone one step too far" in his ads attacking Obama. Also, Senator McCain makes bold statements without thinking, like stating the President appoints the SEC chairman (not true) and that he will fire him (he can't) He can't seem to get his acronyms straight and he also gets confused about Sarah Palin's accomplishments. Picking Palin was a bad move IMO, but my concern is that he was not concerned about our country as much as finding a personality. After all, I wouldn't even have someone over to dinner without meeting him at least a few times, would you? He also sounded very foolish when he was talking about the fish loving the oil rigs. The birds that crap on my car must love the telephone wires above it, huh? Every candidate makes mistakes, but he really has made an awful lot of erroneous & silly statements.

So, in brief, my answer is that I don't respect either candidate all that much, but the respect I had for John McCain is diminishing. I only respect Obama for how far he's come and the historical achievement of being nominated, but I haven't learned enough about his political life to say I respect him for his accomplishments. Still, Obama will be my choice because I feel he's the better candidate.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:56 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
I respect that Obama has been responsibly spending his time learning about the economic catastrophe so he'll know this monster - rather than leave the thinking to "advisers." (Contrast with someone who, although he was once the chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee and was reprimanded for crooked dealing in the S&L scandal, to this day "doesnt know that much about the economy.")

I respect that Obama has remained calm and focused on the issues instead of getting down in the mud with the 2008 Schmidt-Rove campaign (colloquially, the Palin-McCain campaign). It would be a relief though if he'd hurry up and start combatting the lie machine. According to Frank Rich in the Times this morning, a full 50% of the public still think he's going to raise their taxes - a lie ("In fact, he proposes raising taxes only on the 1.9 percent of households that make more than $250,000 a year and cutting them for nearly everyone else") that Obama has GOT to put to rest.

I respect that he respects Americans' brains and sense far more than they deserve.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:09 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,244 times
I like them both a lot but no fan of either party anymore.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:11 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I held McCain in high regard, until he began his campaign of vicious lies. Now? Screw 'em.
Welcome to politics as usual, a game both candidates have played very well.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:15 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Welcome to politics as usual, a game both candidates have played very well.

I agree but Dems and Reps don't see that. They only see one side of the game.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:24 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
I respect both of these men as people.
We need to be able to set aside the hate and be able to disagree with anothers' opinions while still being civil.
It is a lost art it seems to be able to respect a man (or woman) but disagree with their platform.

With that being said I do not think Mr. or Mrs. Obama love American, so for me that is a big problem.

Last edited by mullman; 09-22-2008 at 05:50 AM..

Old 09-22-2008, 05:31 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I respect both of these men.
We need to be able to set aside the hate and be able to disagree with anothers' opinions while still being civil. It is a lost art it seems to be able to respect a man (or woman) but disagree with their platform.
Just like I don't respect cheaters, murderers, etc, I don't respect Obama at all for his positions on infanticide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections