Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2008, 01:44 PM
 
216 posts, read 289,260 times
Reputation: 58

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I agree with you on this. My problem is that Obama and the democrats are very good at trying to sell the concept of redistribution of wealth, in essence giving my hard earned money to some unnkown azzhat who would rather smoke crack then work. Why should I be held to higher standard then Obama by Obama? Because when obama made the speech which did include the phrase 'I am my brothers keeper', that is exactly what he wants the rest of us to do.
No thanks....play social experiments on your own dime if not your own brother obama.

Camping, I totally understand your point. I've had similar conversations (with the exception of the crack users) with family members. In my opinion, Obama is only seeking to find ways of strengthening America as a whole. By raising taxes on those making over 200 - 250,000K(??), he feels that it will contribute to making America stronger. When people go out to vote in November, they should vote on real issues facing them, not Obama's brother. In your case, I can totally understanding you not wanting to vote for Obama.

I also understand the point that some are making, he should practice what he's preaching. I didn't read the article, but who's to say that Obama knew anything about this brother before running for President. Is it fair to judge him based on this unless the person (s) is simply looking for an excuse.

By the way, drug use is affecting many Americans, not just the poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2008, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Omaha
1,137 posts, read 2,271,196 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
So are you honestly comparing obamas tony middle class upbringing in Hawaii where he his grandmother was a bank officer and obama himself attended the best private schools as equivalent to being poor even by african standards?
no, I'm not. there's no way he's gonna make it to far because he won't have the same benifits Obama or anyone else in america has growing up. However, this is one man among millions in need, his family ties are insignficant. If Obama wants to help him it would best be done by contributing to charities working in that country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 01:57 PM
 
29,939 posts, read 39,296,742 times
Reputation: 4798
"Significantly, it was only four years after his father's death that Mr Obama travelled to his father's ancestral Kenyan village. There he learned the full story of his father's life and met some of his relatives.
One of his half-sisters, Auma, is now a council worker in southern England, but some of his other relatives are still living in huts in the village, without plumbing or electricity, farming a few scrawny goats and chicken and growing fruit and maize.
They speak the tribal Luo language and depend on handouts from family members who have emigrated to the UK and the United States for their few luxuries, notably the transistor radios that they use to follow Mr Obama's rocketing political fortunes."


A drunk and a bigot - what the US Presidental hopeful HASN'T said about his father...| News | This is London
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 01:58 PM
 
8,185 posts, read 12,586,543 times
Reputation: 2892
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatinNJ View Post
Camping, I totally understand your point. I've had similar conversations (with the exception of the crack users) with family members. In my opinion, Obama is only seeking to find ways of strengthening America as a whole. By raising taxes on those making over 200 - 250,000K(??), he feels that it will contribute to making America stronger. When people go out to vote in November, they should vote on real issues facing them, not Obama's brother. In your case, I can totally understanding you not wanting to vote for Obama.

I also understand the point that some are making, he should practice what he's preaching. I didn't read the article, but who's to say that Obama knew anything about this brother before running for President. Is it fair to judge him based on this unless the person (s) is simply looking for an excuse.

By the way, drug use is affecting many Americans, not just the poor.
I am more then familiar with the toll drug use has had on the middle class I am sad to say. And don't be fooled, middle class drug users deplete financial resources in the way of arrests, the cost of imprisonment, food stamps for when they are released, and financial help for their families while they are incarcerated. You don't have to be poor to take from the federal government. And you don't have to be poor for me to resent having to take care of grown capable adults.
The problem with obamas 'brothers keeper' idea, is that in order to keep ones brother one has to infantilize him to the point he can't make it without his handout. There are too many people with able bodies and minds who are second/third and fourth generation welfare recepients. That is not strengthening America imho, and I do feel that obama will end up growing that segment of the population through a misguided view of compassion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
15,154 posts, read 11,544,207 times
Reputation: 8625
Quote:
Aren't republicans the ones who say that their money shouldn'tgo to help others?
Yeah---thats why George Bush sent $48 Billion to Africa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Missouri, USA
789 posts, read 1,327,445 times
Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
Anyone too poor to file a tax return will get a check in the mail. That rich guys who wakes up everyday and leaves his wife and kids at home to go earn a living will have his taxes go up, while the guy who sips gin all day gets a check in the mail. It's called income redistribution.. also called socialism.
I don't sip gin all day yet I get a check. Gotta love socialism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 02:03 PM
 
8,185 posts, read 12,586,543 times
Reputation: 2892
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
no, I'm not. there's no way he's gonna make it to far because he won't have the same benifits Obama or anyone else in america has growing up. However, this is one man among millions in need, his family ties are insignficant. If Obama wants to help him it would best be done by contributing to charities working in that country.
I also believe his family ties are insignificant --- perhaps he has reasons not to fully embrace every member of his paternal family. It really is none of our business (and that does go for cm half sister as well).
My problem has been that obama sees mandatory public service, and has a host of social experiments he would like to implement at the cost of the taxpayer. Perhaps we should emulate the model you just described instead.....let people sink or swim depending on the personal decisions they have made, and if they sink -- let privatized charities help them out and not the federal government.
What is good for one obama should be good for our nation as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 02:03 PM
 
29,939 posts, read 39,296,742 times
Reputation: 4798
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Yeah---thats why George Bush sent $48 Billion to Africa
So how's Obamas $845 billion plan to all those 3rd world countries going to work out with recent news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 02:05 PM
 
29,939 posts, read 39,296,742 times
Reputation: 4798
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I also believe his family ties are insignificant --- perhaps he has reasons not to fully embrace every member of his paternal family. It really is none of our business (and that does go for cm half sister as well).
My problem has been that obama sees mandatory public service, and has a host of social experiments he would like to implement at the cost of the taxpayer. Perhaps we should emulate the model you just described instead.....let people sink or swim depending on the personal decisions they have made, and if they sink -- let privatized charities help them out and not the federal government.
What is good for one obama should be good for our nation as well.

The one thing you can count on to have eternal life....a government program. We pay into more and more every year and they get thrown into the list of 1000's we never hear anything else about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 02:41 PM
 
216 posts, read 289,260 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I am more then familiar with the toll drug use has had on the middle class I am sad to say. And don't be fooled, middle class drug users deplete financial resources in the way of arrests, the cost of imprisonment, food stamps for when they are released, and financial help for their families while they are incarcerated. You don't have to be poor to take from the federal government. And you don't have to be poor for me to resent having to take care of grown capable adults.
The problem with obamas 'brothers keeper' idea, is that in order to keep ones brother one has to infantilize him to the point he can't make it without his handout. There are too many people with able bodies and minds who are second/third and fourth generation welfare recepients. That is not strengthening America imho, and I do feel that obama will end up growing that segment of the population through a misguided view of compassion.
Obama is big on education and would like to reform the education system. He wants to make it easer for students to go to college and the students will have to give back to the community. My impression of Obama is that he believes in teaching a man to fish, not giving him a fish (at least, not a long-term enabler). Call it a hands up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:07 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top