Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 09:48 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,776,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
He made his position known and now is trying to change what he said. I know that you will never concede to that so we can agree to disagree.
Uh, no. You are incorrect in your premise. I watched Kissinger in that forum. He said High-level officials should meet with them, and we have had representatives of this admin meeting with Iran - you knew that, right?

Big difference Obama advocating the president sit down without precondition, which is what he said.

Hill and Biden pounded obama mercilessly for that position - you remember that, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 09:56 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,813,756 times
Do people not realise that behind the scenes talks are going on with Iran as we speak. The IRA in the UK were not allowed to have any statements broadcast in the media. The British Govt. gave a stance of NO negotiations with terrorists. In truth they had Govt. Officials in behind the scene talks with the IRA all the time. This is what brought peace, not hostility. Obama is NOT afraid to negotiate with anyone. This is how peace is gained, not by rattling Sabers.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:57 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,119,026 times
Dr. Kissinger is correct

Obama is wrong

Geeoro is wrong

Old 09-27-2008, 09:59 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,776,394 times
Funny, if Mac would have made such an error by distorting like obama did, there would be hell to pay.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:00 AM

Kissinger said that negotiations were the best way to solve the problems and that is something he would do. Obama is absolutely right that HE should negotiate after preperations have been done. No one has said Kissinger is wrong (get your facts straight) only that Kissinger and other ex sec of states, agree with Obama that Negotiating is the key.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:02 AM

27,204 posts, read 46,526,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Funny, if Mac would have made such an error by distorting like obama did, there would be hell to pay.
So true...Obama just made a huge mistake and some Dem. have to understand that although they might think that Obama won this round (which I don't agree with), some Dem. already have said they still won't vote for Obama!

Old 09-27-2008, 10:02 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,197,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S65 View Post
The average voter has no clue who Kissinger is
Obviously. 'bama included.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:04 AM

789 posts, read 1,328,302 times
This is from FactCheck.

Transcript from debate:
Quote:
Obama: Senator McCain mentioned Henry Kissinger, who's one of his advisers, who, along with five recent secretaries of state, just said that we should meet with Iran – guess what – without precondition. This is one of your own advisers.

McCain rejected Obama's claim:

McCain: By the way, my friend, Dr. Kissinger, who's been my friend for 35 years, would be interested to hear this conversation and Senator Obama's depiction of his -- of his positions on the issue. I've known him for 35 years.
Obama: We will take a look.
McCain: And I guarantee you he would not -- he would not say that presidential top level.
Obama: Nobody's talking about that.
Notice what I put in bold.

Quote:
Kissinger Sept. 20: Well, I am in favor of negotiating with Iran. And one utility of negotiation is to put before Iran our vision of a Middle East, of a stable Middle East, and our notion on nuclear proliferation at a high enough level so that they have to study it. And, therefore, I actually have preferred doing it at the secretary of state level so that we -- we know we're dealing with authentic...

CNN's Frank Sesno: Put at a very high level right out of the box?

Kissinger: Initially, yes.But I do not believe that we can make conditions for the opening of negotiations.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:04 AM

88,544 posts, read 44,252,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Do people not realise that behind the scenes talks are going on with Iran as we speak. The IRA in the UK were not allowed to have any statements broadcast in the media. The British Govt. gave a stance of NO negotiations with terrorists. In truth they had Govt. Officials in behind the scene talks with the IRA all the time. This is what brought peace, not hostility. Obama is NOT afraid to negotiate with anyone. This is how peace is gained, not by rattling Sabers.
We realize that. We ALSO realize that those talks are not at the Presidential level without precondition.

I can't believe that Obama supporters still don't understand that.

On this issue...

Obama is wrong.
Hillary is correct.
McCain is correct.

Obama's lack of experience and lack of understanding of foreign affairs is blatantly obvious.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 09-27-2008 at 10:16 AM..

Old 09-27-2008, 10:11 AM

Maybe Obama realises that High level talks could not get any higher than the President. Many high level talks with the President go on at Camp David all the Time. Stop trying to make Obama out as the FIRST President who will sit down across the table for talks. Obama has said he is willing to talk with no preconditions. Nothing wrong with that, it means no preconditions on either side.He has also said that pre talk Start at the bottom and work up. At least Obama isn't scared of negotiating peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections