Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 09:57 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times

Advertisements

Leherer;

Quote:
As president, as a result of whatever financial rescue plan comes about and the billion, $700 billion, whatever it is it’s going to cost, what are you going to have to give up, in terms of the priorities that you would bring as president of the United States, as a result of having to pay for the financial rescue plan?
Quote:
OBAMA: Well, there are a range of things that are probably going to have to be delayed. We don’t yet know what our tax revenues are going to be. The economy is slowing down, so it’s hard to anticipate right now what the budget is going to look like next year.

But there’s no doubt that we’re not going to be able to do everything that I think needs to be done. There are some things that I think have to be done.
We have to have energy independence, so I’ve put forward a plan to make sure that, in 10 years’ time, we have freed ourselves from dependence on Middle Eastern oil by increasing production at home, but most importantly by starting to invest in alternative energy, solar, wind, biodiesel, making sure that we’re developing the fuel-efficient cars of the future right here in the United States, in Ohio and Michigan, instead of Japan and South Korea.
We have to fix our health care system, which is putting an enormous burden on families. Just — a report just came out that the average deductible went up 30 percent on American families.

They are getting crushed, and many of them are going bankrupt as a consequence of health care. I’m meeting folks all over the country. We have to do that now, because it will actually make our businesses and our families better off.

The third thing we have to do is we’ve got to make sure that we’re competing in education. We’ve got to invest in science and technology. China had a space launch and a space walk. We’ve got to make sure that our children are keeping pace in math and in science.

And one of the things I think we have to do is make sure that college is affordable for every young person in America.

And I also think that we’re going to have to rebuild our infrastructure, which is falling behind, our roads, our bridges, but also broadband lines that reach into rural communities.

Also, making sure that we have a new electricity grid to get the alternative energy to population centers that are using them.

So there are some — some things that we’ve got to do structurally to make sure that we can compete in this global economy. We can’t shortchange those things. We’ve got to eliminate programs that don’t work, and we’ve got to make sure that the programs that we do have are more efficient and cost less
It was like pulling teeth. Leherer asked him over and over where he would cut. One last time;

Quote:
LEHRER: What I’m trying to get at this is this. Excuse me if I may, senator. Trying to get at that you all — one of you is going to be the president of the United States come January. At the — in the middle of a huge financial crisis that is yet to be resolved. And what I’m trying to get at is how this is going to affect you not in very specific — small ways but in major ways and the approach to take as to the presidency.

OBAMA: The problem with a spending freeze is you’re using a hatchet where you need a scalpel. There are some programs that are very important that are under funded. I want to increase early childhood education and the notion that we should freeze that when there may be, for example, this Medicare subsidy doesn’t make sense.
Meanwhile, Mac said a spending freeze would be a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 10:01 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Leherer;

It was like pulling teeth. Leherer asked him over and over where he would cut. One last time;

I dunno...you have to ask McCain what he voted to cut?

Oh, that's right, McCain supports the massive bailout while true republicans like Shelby say NO.

Shoot, McCain also voted for the homeland insecurity bureaucracy. Well, what's another trillion dollars? The war, well, that's only ONE trillion. The way inflation is going, I suppose that won't seem so bad considering we'll be using the word "trillion" a lot more in the near future.

Yes, RINO McCain defines fiscal responsibility

Old 09-27-2008, 10:36 AM

3,813 posts, read 4,914,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I dunno...you have to ask McCain what he voted to cut?

Oh, that's right, McCain supports the massive bailout while true republicans like Shelby say NO.

Shoot, McCain also voted for the homeland insecurity bureaucracy. Well, what's another trillion dollars? The war, well, that's only ONE trillion. The way inflation is going, I suppose that won't seem so bad considering we'll be using the word "trillion" a lot more in the near future.

Yes, RINO McCain defines fiscal responsibility
McCain said he will not cut veteran benefits. What will he cut?
Quote:
Here is how he has stood on recent legislation supported by major veterans organizations:
-- On Webb's GI Bill, he expressed opposition, and he was AWOL when it was time to vote on May 22.
-- In September, he voted against another Webb bill that would have mandated adequate rest for troops between combat deployments.
-- On a badly needed $1.5 billion increase for veterans medical services for fiscal year 2007, to be funded through closing corporate tax loopholes, he voted no. He also voted against establishing a trust fund to bolster under-budgeted veterans hospitals.
-- In May 2006, he voted against $20 billion for expanding swamped veterans medical facilities.
-- In March 2004, he voted against and helped defeat a $1.8 billion reserve for veterans medical care, also funded by closing tax loopholes.
McCain offered what he called a compromise to Webb's GI legislation, bill, but it was rejected. It would have excluded most veterans by offering full education benefits only to those with multiple enlistments, even though 70 percent to 75 percent of enlistees leave after one tour.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:38 AM

Mac said a spending freeze might be in order.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:42 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
CEO pay?

Old 09-27-2008, 10:57 AM

3,813 posts, read 4,914,505 times
Quote:
And Obama said that a spending freeze was like using a hatchet when a scapel is needed and I agree. What spending freeze? Health?Education? "Mac" said throughout the debate he supports Veterans' medical and education needs, yet his record clearly shows he doesn't. The use of the word 'veterans' is just another buzz word just like his use of the phrase 'spending freeze' is something that the ill informed latch onto like a life raft.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:59 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Leherer;

Great post!!! I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
CEO pay?
What does CEO pay have to do with government spending?

Old 09-27-2008, 11:04 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,596,543 times
Quote:
I'm sure Veterans everywhere groaned.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:04 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,239,899 times
Quote:
What does CEO pay have to do with government spending?
Nothing at all.

If you had a brain the size of a pea and used 98% of it to store nuggets of genius such as "Rich = evil", you'd understand where utter nonsense like this comes from. Unfortunately, I work with several of these types so I have a little insight. I'm surprised these types can even dress themselves each morning.

That said: Vote Libertarian!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections