Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 01:04 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,262,102 times

Advertisements

Why?

Whoever becomes president will be inheriting a HUGE MESS (not entirely Pres. Bush's fault but feel free to voice your own opinion). If I were running, I'd be like, "See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!" and let my opponent deal with the mess. I am under the opinion that neither president have enough of a economic background to get us out of this mess. Obama say's, from my deduction, "Yeah, we have a problem but let's take our time in figuring out how to fix it" (the scalpel metaphor) and McCain's saying "Cut everything!" (the hatchet metaphor). Truly, good judgment matter more than anything because it will be the advisor's he picks that will ultimately persuade the President's decisions. In that respect, go McCain!

This is probably why I'll never be president (well, that and because I wasn't "Made in the U.S.A") but that's what's great about this country. We can say what we want and not get shot for it.

This post was meant to be more light humored than serious but people's passion run high here so there's really no telling how this thread is gonna go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 03:02 PM

525 posts, read 1,852,923 times
I think whoever becomes the president will have a mess in their hands. The public (who has a short memory) will blame the sitting president because he could not fix the mess in 4yrs and Hillary will be our president in 2012!

By the way, I was never a Hillary fan but at least I respect her unlike Obama

Old 09-27-2008, 05:32 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,248,142 times
The pile of crap that Bush is leaving is probably too big for any administration to dig out from under. While I have a clear choice for Prez, I do not envy whoever wins.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:36 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,769,133 times
Yes, but 3/4 of them are still senators ... 1, possibly 2 will still be dealing with said mess.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:47 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,262,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Yes, but 3/4 of them are still senators ... 1, possibly 2 will still be dealing with said mess.
You're right but senators usually do the blaming and the prez usually has to receive it.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:55 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,906,874 times
My inner conspiracy theorist thinks that the GOP braintrust (?) has considered the election heavily in favor of the democrats for a while, which helps to explain the frequency of these hail-mary passes (Palin, Suspend campaign, cancel debate threats).

Why Palin, Mr inner conspiracist?

If they don't think McCain has much of a shot - why attach someone to the ticket who they may want to run in upcoming presidential elections.

Palin likely wasn't considered presidential candidate material before being selected - if they can scapegoat her for the loss - maybe it keeps some heat off other potential candidates.

I won't argue this after this one post - I've got no proof of anything.
But I think its one of many possibilities why Palin was chosen.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:19 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,873,598 times
I think sadly either the 2 main candidates will give us 4more years of the 8 we have had. Neither will usher in any change. Massive spending, war, waste...and sadly the people havent had enough. Will the masses ever reach a breaking point? Im going Third Party , that is the only hope for a change and we need one bad.

YouTube - Obama McCain and Nader Three Way Presidential Debate

Old 09-27-2008, 08:28 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,185,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post

Why they never dealt with it the years they've been in the senate...why start now?

Old 09-27-2008, 08:31 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,185,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
My inner conspiracy theorist thinks that the GOP braintrust (?) has considered the election heavily in favor of the democrats for a while, which helps to explain the frequency of these hail-mary passes (Palin, Suspend campaign, cancel debate threats).

Why Palin, Mr inner conspiracist?

If they don't think McCain has much of a shot - why attach someone to the ticket who they may want to run in upcoming presidential elections.

Palin likely wasn't considered presidential candidate material before being selected - if they can scapegoat her for the loss - maybe it keeps some heat off other potential candidates.

I won't argue this after this one post - I've got no proof of anything.
But I think its one of many possibilities why Palin was chosen.

You get the star today for winning the million dollar question!

Old 09-27-2008, 08:55 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,200,595 times
Quote:
Whoever becomes president will be inheriting a HUGE MESS (not entirely Pres. Bush's fault but feel free to voice your own opinion). If I were running, I'd be like, "See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!" and let my opponent deal with the mess. I am under the opinion that neither president have enough of a economic background to get us out of this mess. Obama say's, from my deduction, "Yeah, we have a problem but let's take our time in figuring out how to fix it" (the scalpel metaphor) and McCain's saying "Cut everything!" (the hatchet metaphor). Truly, good judgment matter more than anything because it will be the advisor's he picks that will ultimately persuade the President's decisions. In that respect, go McCain!
For a while I thought the mirror-reverse - let the Republicans have it, they made this mess, let them clean it up.

But look how quickly Presidents age. It's an insanely high stress job, probably the highest stress job there is, and it never ends. For a Type-A, controlling personality like McCain, I think winning could be his death sentence. Even if it didnt kill him the constant stress and frustration could debilitate him - a stroke, a heart attack.

And then what are we left with? His bequest to the nation.

Obama could have done anything he liked with his law degree but he chose to do things to help people - first as a community organizer, then bigger and bigger scope from there. He is in this race because he - like McCain - truly cares about this country and wants it to improve and succeed. Not that SP doesn't care, but Obama has demonstrated it throughout his career, and waded through rougher and far more challenging thickets to get here. Palin parrots as best she can what she's been told to say on vitally important issues - it's not her fault (though she could be trained to say honestly, "I don't know"), she's just way in over her head. Though the McCain campaign handlers publicly shrug that off by saying "it's really a figurehead job," they leave unspoken the fact that in a time of possibly cataclysm on multiple fronts, this person who's about as capable as Dan Quayle could be our new Decider.

Obama has attracted great, skilled advisors and no doubt will draw in more (I guess I'm thinking FDR here). He has shown he doesnt make a move without study and deliberation - he's the exact opposite of "shoot first ask questions later," which in real life would be safer for all of us.

So because the stress and misery of the job could very well shorten McCain's life (and for other reasons too), I think Obama-Biden is the more practical way to go.

(Speaking of conspiracy theories, THAT's one I wonder about - maneuver someone green and not overly curious into the White House, train him or her to rely on you and your crew: a Grand Vizier's dream.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections